Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

19 minutes ago, underdog said:

I could be wrong here myself but isn't it the current set up, Corney that is, responsible for the running of the business, wages etc until any signatures on a dotted line?

The investor whoever it is should not be contributing until Fit and proper testing has been passed or am I wrong?

The incumbent owner is responsible for both ongoing financial and legal responsibilities

The 'fit and proper' test you refer to is an FA requirement

Any future Investor / Shareholder would be 'quite mad' to spend in something that they were interested in prior to the completion of the deal

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing how some people come alive again after some negative news.  Nowhere to be seen in any positive topics. 

I’m sure people will be paid.

I sincerely hope the deal is done soon though to end the speculation.... we don’t go speculating very well here unless it’s doom.

17 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Amazing how some people come alive again after some negative news.  Nowhere to be seen in any positive topics. 

I sincerely hope the deal is done soon though to end the speculation.... we don’t go speculating very well here unless it’s doom.

I was thinking along the same lines but, as was correctly pointed out earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion and the right to air that opinion. Sometimes I get the impression that negative comments are the default just so it can be said "I told you so" or "Well, I never got my hopes up, anyway". We should allow ourselves, as supporters of the club, the luxury of having some optimism over the possibility of serious investment or a possible takeover. 

In my opinion, the recent influx of decent players for League One, tells me something positive is going on behind the scenes. Some take the lack of Corney's updating of the situation as a signal for shady dealings or underhandedness, instead of maybe choosing the right moment to break news that is positive and set in stone. We have not got the right, even as fans, to know the inside out of a duck's arse. We have to wait. if it happens, it happens...if not, then it's as we were.

If the staff and players have not been paid, then on tonight's performance so far, it's not affecting them.

Maybe they know more than we do.

12 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I was thinking along the same lines but, as was correctly pointed out earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion and the right to air that opinion. Sometimes I get the impression that negative comments are the default just so it can be said "I told you so" or "Well, I never got my hopes up, anyway". We should allow ourselves, as supporters of the club, the luxury of having some optimism over the possibility of serious investment or a possible takeover. 

In my opinion, the recent influx of decent players for League One, tells me something positive is going on behind the scenes. Some take the lack of Corney's updating of the situation as a signal for shady dealings or underhandedness, instead of maybe choosing the right moment to break news that is positive and set in stone. We have not got the right, even as fans, to know the inside out of a duck's arse. We have to wait. if it happens, it happens...if not, then it's as we were.

If the staff and players have not been paid, then on tonight's performance so far, it's not affecting them.

I like your posts...

As part of the Due Diligence process all the books and business plans will have been shared with the prospective owner.

Risks etc are disclosed and financial risks / opportunities are known on both sides and the date of the deal and the status of those will be accounted for in the final price and completion.

In some cases of a deal takes place, the financial performance of the business for the full financial year transfers to the new owners - ie any profit / losses prior to completion but post start of the current FY will become the new owners.

I cannot foresee a situation whereby SC could be seen to pull a “fast one” to avoid paying wages.  It’s possible that it might have been agreed that if payday falls on a date close to the sale that the new owner might take responsibility and agree with employees how it might manage that - but it’s more likely that it’s the other way round, that existing payroll pays employees after a sale to ensure it goes ahead and the new owner reimburses them in order to ensure that people don’t have mortgages etc that bounce.

Salaries not paid is a worry.

11 minutes ago, Wardie said:

My thoughts are:

Team performances have improved with recent additions and that needs to continue, particularly at Home to get some more fans through the turnstiles

Some posts on this thread suggesting that the Players & Staff have not been paid due to the alleged investment / purchase nearing completion. I think this is nonsense as both the seller and investor would surely want to keep the current team 'feel good' factor going

If we haven't paid the staff or players its as simple as we haven't enough money in the bank to do so !

And that's why the current owners have been trying to sell the Club for sometime

Not being negative at all :chubb:

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

I actually try to just pop up when clarity or a sense of sensibility is needed ?

From the Chekatrade site...

Clubs will benefit from financial prizes as they progress through the competition which includes £10,000 per win and £5,000 per draw during the Group Stage, increasing prizes for following Knockout Stage victories and a £100,000 prize sum for the eventual winner. In addition, invited clubs will donate all or some of their share of gate receipts to a fund that will be shared equally by clubs from Sky Bet League One and Two.

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

The board has been the busiest it's  been for ages with us getting extremely giddy at the thought of getting Clarence Seedorf.

11 hours ago, tGWB said:

My thoughts are:

Team performances have improved with recent additions and that needs to continue, particularly at Home to get some more fans through the turnstiles

Some posts on this thread suggesting that the Players & Staff have not been paid due to the alleged investment / purchase nearing completion. I think this is nonsense as both the seller and investor would surely want to keep the current team 'feel good' factor going

If we haven't paid the staff or players its as simple as we haven't enough money in the bank to do so !

And that's why the current owners have been trying to sell the Club for sometime

Very sensible thoughts! Amidst all the long winded rubbish from the happy clappers-dont expect many upboats for being so realistic.

3 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Very sensible thoughts! Amidst all the long winded rubbish from the happy clappers-dont expect many upboats for being so realistic.

Well if theres no money in the bank to pay wagers then we bet all hope and pray this investment happens or we are well and truely up shit creek.

Promising young manager, off to a flying start, good relationship with the players and fans, clear idea of what he wants to achieve.

And we are going to give it to some foreign bloke just using us for a pay cheque until a better offer comes along.

13 hours ago, tGWB said:

My thoughts are:

That is a very sensible post. What's interesting is how we have managed to bring in the extra players (Placide, Menig, Omrani etc.) when we are always broke. My own theory is that Simon Corney has signed a "no shop" clause with the incoming investor(s). i.e. he has given them a period of exclusivity (say 6 months) where he won't entertain any other offers - and in return they are giving some interim support, probably by agreeing to honour the contracts for those players. So that would put them on a kind of 2 stage integration into the plans of the new owners (whoever they are, but it seems that Abdallah is the representative rather than the main bringer of cash). This would explain why our manager was apparently not involved in choosing the players, and also why there is a feeling that "the deal is done but not yet announced" - but one thing I'm sure of is that they day the deal is finalised we will have a press release. Fingers still crossed...

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Promising young manager, off to a flying start, good relationship with the players and fans, clear idea of what he wants to achieve.

And we are going to give it to some foreign bloke just using us for a pay cheque until a better offer comes along.

Corney would give it to wellens all day as it’s the cheap option and is actually currently working! The only way one of the other names going around whether it’s seedorf or the French chap get the job is if the takeover/investment deal go through! 

But if by giving it to One of the above options it secures long term financial security, new investment and the possibility of new progressive ownership that can kick us on i’ll take it! 

14 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Hi, sounds like you are carving out a solid career, no problem, apology accepted. Just for my own knowledge, during a takeover or investment, say the deal is close, am I incorrect in believing that it is possible for the wages or any other costs for that matter, to be negotiated at all. For example, couldn't Corney be negaotiating that he believes they should pay the wages if investment is pretty much done. Especially if the players that AL are having to be paid by Corney but under normal circumstances we would not have such a high wage bill ? Many thanks

Please see my post before this one. My theory is that Abdallah's investment consortium are paying the wages for the new players whilst the deal goes through, and that in return they get exclusive rights to buy OAFC for a limited period. No proof for that, but it seems reasonable to me. In the interim, SC has to fund the club, and he's admitted many times that's a struggle. 

16 minutes ago, super_blue said:

Corney would give it to wellens all day as it’s the cheap option and is actually currently working! The only way one of the other names going around whether it’s seedorf or the French chap get the job is if the takeover/investment deal go through! 

But if by giving it to One of the above options it secures long term financial security, new investment and the possibility of new progressive ownership that can kick us on i’ll take it! 

Time we had some meat on the bones regarding what the hold up is and what their intentions are.

Perhaps it will come with the managerial appointment.

Archived