Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

6 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Would we want loads of money throwing at our club and lose our identity?

How do people identify us currently?

Perennial underachievers?

Losers?

League 1 cannon fodder? 

I'd be happy with enough money so we could afford your Doyles and Byrnes of this world as opposed to your Banks and your Browns and a team that gives us a little hope of success as opposed to the back slapping and satisfaction some get from just staying in this League.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, singe said:

No, we want to stay in League 1 for another 20+ years.

We need to beat Rochdales record of 33 years in the same division (although they cheated to get that record)

That was my only hope of any kind of success until all of this takeover talk

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

How do people identify us currently?

Perennial underachievers?

Losers?

League 1 cannon fodder? 

I'd be happy with enough money so we could afford your Doyles and Byrnes of this world as opposed to your Banks and your Browns and a team that gives us a little hope of success as opposed to the back slapping and satisfaction some get from just staying in this League.

Surely you must be immensely proud we have managed to survive & sustain our League 1 status given the crowds we achieve !!!!!!

19 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Surely you must be immensely proud we have managed to survive & sustain our League 1 status given the crowds we achieve !!!!!!

For me the crowds are a symptom of the problem, hopefully new owners will cure it.

I don't think that we have any idea of the level of investment that is potentially coming in do we?

Its not clear what ALs 'net worth' is - and even whether he is the only source of funding in the deal (I have read speculation that he might be fronting the deal for other parties?).  I also don't know what the investment / takeover is actually of - is it just Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd? Does in include the ground?  Does it include the North Stand?  Does is include the OEC and the perimeter advertising companies?

Have no idea what the are the reasons behind getting involved with an English lower league team - to provide a route to develop and showcase talented players that they have associations with?  To have a 'toy' to invest in for the enjoyment? A vanity project?

Difficult to have aspirations for the future without knowing this - the only assumption is its better than the status quo.

It could be simply that the 'new owner' is buying the football team and willing to cover the debts it currently incurs whilst making the payments to the stadium company that it currently doesn't - that might mean that we can sustain the current squad level and be able to pay players and staff regularly OR it could be they are buying the whole lot and willing to cover a better level of squad and really be pushing the club forward.

For all the criticism of SC - his aims for the last 10 years or so have been pretty clear publicly - Maintain League One status, try to get the club as close to self-sufficient as he could, and to sell to someone with deeper pockets.  Unofficially some believe that he has also had the agenda to asset strip and take as much out of the club as he could.

After 20 years of seeing us struggle along, I am willing to be excited about the prospect of what new ownership could bring to the club in terms of both on and off field success - but I also have a little bit of caution in the back of my brain about what the future holds.  Having seen us transfer from Lees to Moore to Sean Jarvis to TTA - new ownership has not ever been a knight on a white horse riding to rescue us from obscurity and back up the football pyramid.

If the development of the club is not done sustainably - then you run the risk of returning to the post-Chris Moore era if the owner(s) ever change their approach.  Latics fans have been heavily critical of other clubs (ahem...Bury) in recent years that have done this.

If it is done sustainably, then what is our realistic future ambition?  I'd guess that with a team that has a good season or two flirting with promotion before finally going up - we might get crowds back to the 6000-7000 regularly, maybe 8,000 in The Championship with the bigger away followings.  A top half league one / bottom half Championship 'yo-yo' club at best?

Please don't take this as negative - I repeat after 20 years its worth the gamble - but without further details its hard to know what we will be looking like after this takeover completes.

1 hour ago, mickjagger said:

If you're saying that our identity is managing to survive in league one with  poor crowds,  I think most fans would be happy to sacrifice that.

44 minutes ago, bozman said:

If you're saying that our identity is managing to survive in league one with  poor crowds,  I think most fans would be happy to sacrifice that.

Be careful what you wish for as they say.  Given the choice between this and having a couple of seasons in this league with a good squad followed by the club imploding into a financial blackhole and either dropping like a stone out of the league / or even going pop...its not as straight-forward.

Mr Moore's tenure still leaves some scars behind.

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

What's our identity?

It has changed recently.  Well, according to the people that speak to me about my football club.

It used to be the club that signed druggies and rapists.

Now it is the club that doesnt pay its wages and defends winding up petitions from HMRC.

29 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Be careful what you wish for as they say.  Given the choice between this and having a couple of seasons in this league with a good squad followed by the club imploding into a financial blackhole and either dropping like a stone out of the league / or even going pop...its not as straight-forward.

Mr Moore's tenure still leaves some scars behind.

That argument is fine, if you assume that the current owner can sustain us near the bottom of league 1. Looking at the available evidence, I don't think that would be the case going forward. The club appears to already be living beyond it's means to sustain 17th place in league 1, if the latest published accounts are anything to go by.  Wages being paid late and winding up petitions are now a more regular occurrence, as we can no longer rely on emergency funding from Blitz and have to turn to the likes of Necarcu to plug the gaps.

I think the choice is actually more one of it being very likely the club will implode or drop down at least one level if it remains under current ownership versus the possibility that we might enjoy a level of success and progress under new ownership, or it might possibly go wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Corney hater. I believe he tries his best to keep things going but now realises it isn't a sustainable option to do it on his own anymore. I also believe he'll do what he can to find someone suitable to take us forward, rather than post the keys back to the bank and dissapear like Moore did.

4 hours ago, singe said:

According to his interview on BBC Radio Manchester it's weeks awy from now. That was 6 weeks ago...

Hopefully before the New Year and the transfer window.

He probably hasn't got a clue and is guessing like the rest of us.

3 hours ago, brookfield_blue said:

When I started supporting Latics in the 80s we were a mid table second division team, now Championship. I would love to identify with that again! 

I think moneywise the Championship is what the old 1st division /early prem days was. The current Premiership is a whole mew division which has emerged with the TV money.

Perhaps there has to be a cooling off period between being an Agent or owning/participating in an Agency business and taking over a football club for the EFL to be happy.

On the question of money I have now to accept, with some surprise, that some of the foreign legion are worthy of a place in our team.  Let us hope we are not just a conduit to other teams for them - I'm not for one minute suggesting that an Owner who isn't an Agent would be interested in doing such a thing unless the transfer fees, rather than Agency fees, were right.

18 hours ago, bozman said:

That argument is fine, if you assume that the current owner can sustain us near the bottom of league 1. Looking at the available evidence, I don't think that would be the case going forward. The club appears to already be living beyond it's means to sustain 17th place in league 1, if the latest published accounts are anything to go by.  Wages being paid late and winding up petitions are now a more regular occurrence, as we can no longer rely on emergency funding from Blitz and have to turn to the likes of Necarcu to plug the gaps.

I think the choice is actually more one of it being very likely the club will implode or drop down at least one level if it remains under current ownership versus the possibility that we might enjoy a level of success and progress under new ownership, or it might possibly go wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Corney hater. I believe he tries his best to keep things going but now realises it isn't a sustainable option to do it on his own anymore. I also believe he'll do what he can to find someone suitable to take us forward, rather than post the keys back to the bank and dissapear like Moore did.

Completely agreed. 

49 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

Any timeframe indicated?.... I guess not

No, says he wants to come in and make a difference has attended reserve games Moisley is not making any promises just saying its with the football league right now. Has said he wants Corney involved in the interim to help with transition

Oh its paul again....

On Radio Manc, Mark Moisley confirmed that Abdallah Lemsagam has resigned as a FIFA Agent and therefore is not restricted in the amount of the Club he can purchase. He said he is purchasing 97% with the Trust retaining its 3% share. Therefore Simon Corney will no longer be involved.

The proposed takeover is subject to Football League regulations and it is proceeding, with the hope that it should be concluded in approximately 4 to 6 weeks.

Just now, Diego_Sideburns said:
On Radio Manc, Mark Moisley confirmed that Abdallah Lemsagam has resigned as a FIFA Agent and therefore is not restricted in the amount of the Club he can purchase. He said he is purchasing 97% with the Trust retaining its 3% share. Therefore Simon Corney will no longer be involved.

The proposed takeover is subject to Football League regulations and it is proceeding, with the hope that it should be concluded in approximately 4 to 6 weeks.

Wowzers, big news that, being confirmed by the club... 

We have waited long enough for fresh hope - I think I can last another six weeks... 

Fingers crossed etc. 

Confirmed a few things especially with regards to takeover for the full 97%

so I will presume, although not confirmed that when MM stated Abdallah wants to improve the ground that he is paying off the landlord and the secured loan on the ground too? Or did I miss hear that?

2 minutes ago, underdog said:

Confirmed a few things especially with regards to takeover for the full 97%

so I will presume, although not confirmed that when MM stated Abdallah wants to improve the ground that he is paying off the landlord and the secured loan on the ground too? Or did I miss hear that?

He could improve the ground as a sitting tenant without actually owning it.

Archived