Who should play in a back 4?

Not many to choose from assuming Shez does finally change tactics.

With Ryan McLaughlin out for a while and Edmundson needing to go back to the reserves, at fault or culpable for 3 goals today alone - he has been truly awful this bast 5 games or so - who does that leave us

Gerrard was actually not bad today, not as bad as some boo boys make out and assuming Clarke will always be picked they will probably stay as the starting CB's but we don't seem to have much in the way of CB options.

And more importantly who will be the full backs?

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Unless Dummigan is awful I'd have him at right back and Hunt at left back.  Changing to a back 4 will go some way to help us.

At centre back I'd go for one of Clarke or Gerrard to play alongside one of Stott or Edmundson.

Wilson can fill in anywhere when fit.

Watch the goals again - if you can - and then tell me Edmundson should even be in the squad - unless he was injured he should have his wages docked for the piss poor effort today

Go back to basics with Dummigan Clarke Gerrard and Hunt.

If Clarke and Gerrard have 2 mobile full backs next to them it should stop them getting caught out down the channels plus a defensive midfielder infront of them as a shield they should be ok to stand in the centre get clearness in and bark out the orders from the back.

I'd then go with a diamond infront of them it didnt work at the start of the season but with the personnell we have got now it could well work with either Gardner Omrani or even Banks (yes Banks) at the base of it with Bryan on the left of a diamond and Mclaughlin on the right.

Then Byrne at the head of the diamond with Doyle and Davies up top we need to keep these 3 together as it's the part of the team that's working right now.

It's easy this being a message board manager lark.....

Edited by GlossopLatic

3 hours ago, Stagger Lee said:

Not many to choose from assuming Shez does finally change tactics.

With Ryan McLaughlin out for a while and Edmundson needing to go back to the reserves, at fault or culpable for 3 goals today alone - he has been truly awful this bast 5 games or so - who does that leave us

Gerrard was actually not bad today, not as bad as some boo boys make out and assuming Clarke will always be picked they will probably stay as the starting CB's but we don't seem to have much in the way of CB options.

And more importantly who will be the full backs?

I’ve thought Gerrard has been poor at times this season but agree that he did alright today. It was our fullback positions being attacked at will that caused the problem. As for who should be in the back 4, Wilson has been solid in our defence. Dunno if he’s injured or what but he needs to be in it as soon as possible. 

6 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

If Clarke and Gerrard have 2 mobile full backs next to them it should stop them getting caught out down the channels plus a defensive midfielder in front of them as a shield they should be ok to stand in the centre get clearness in and bark out the orders from the back.

I'd then go with a diamond in front of them it didn't work at the start of the season but with the personnel we have got now it could well work with either Gardner Omrani or even Banks (yes Banks) at the base of it with Bryan on the left of a diamond and Mclaughlin on the right.

Then Byrne at the head of the diamond with Doyle and Davies up top we need to keep these 3 together as it's the part of the team that's working right now.

I agree mostly with all you said apart from the Banks bit. Though Bryan creativity deserves to be further forward I would have him in sat just in front of our CB. His timing and tackling is really classy and has a good pass on him to get the ball moving forward again.  Gardener started the season well in front of our CB but that was comparing him to other midfielders like Banks and Green but the last two games he has struggled and seems to be slipping and sliding all over then being forced into poor passes.

No one is arguing that we need to go to a 4 man defence I see.  Shez eat your pride and change your tactics, please!

13 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

If Clarke and Gerrard have 2 mobile full backs next to them it should stop them getting caught out down the channels plus a defensive midfielder infront of them as a shield they should be ok to stand in the centre get clearness in and bark out the orders from the back.

I'd then go with a diamond infront of them it didnt work at the start of the season but with the personnell we have got now it could well work with either Gardner Omrani or even Banks (yes Banks) at the base of it with Bryan on the left of a diamond and Mclaughlin on the right.

It's easy this being a message board manager lark.....

Excellent tactics...........but I have seen a problem.......a flaw......

You've put down:

4 defenders - Dummigan, Clarke, Gerrard and Hunt.

1 defensive midfield player

4 midfield players in a diamond

2 forwards

Now I know that Wilson and Ruddy have been crap but I still see the need for a goalkeeper......call me old-fashioned, a dinosaur or a Luddite but most progressive coaches still feel the need.

7 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Excellent tactics...........but I have seen a problem.......a flaw......

You've put down:

4 defenders - Dummigan, Clarke, Gerrard and Hunt.

1 defensive midfield player

4 midfield players in a diamond

2 forwards

Now I know that Wilson and Ruddy have been crap but I still see the need for a goalkeeper......call me old-fashioned, a dinosaur or a Luddite but most progressive coaches still feel the need.

Ah Ah ! .... some may argue we do not have a goalkeeper at all so playing 11 outfield is the way to go :tongue1:

Can we enable the emergency goalkeeper clause to get someone in?  a bad case of dropormissallcrosses has affected our squad.

Edited by Stagger Lee