Peterborough (H)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

I'm not judging them on what they were put in the side to do though. I'm judging them as players on their own and if you think Fane is anywhere near Byrne then you're wrong IMO. 

Byrne wad head and shoulders above fane with ball and fane was head and shoulders above byrne without the ball. 

Fane does a dirty job not too many players want to do and we need that for byrne and gardner to be effective. 

At no point have I said fane is better than byrne... Im saying that on tonights performances, byrne was not miles better than fane which is what you said. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I was going to go for a run and then watch the Bake Off tonight and had a change of heart about quarter past 7. Glad I went. Enjoyed it. I used a mate's ticket but, if I had have paid, it would have been worth every penny to watch Jack Byrne play. The guy oozes class...

Byrne should have walked man of the match tonight.

7 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

Byrne wad head and shoulders above fane with ball and fane was head and shoulders above byrne without the ball. 

Fane does a dirty job not too many players want to do and we need that for byrne and gardner to be effective. 

At no point have I said fane is better than byrne... Im saying that on tonights performances, byrne was not miles better than fane which is what you said. 

Even still, I think he was much better than Fane as a footballer. Irregardless of whether they had the ball or not. Don't get me wrong, I really like Fane but Byrne is a hell of a player. 

Did anyone notice the fast start the team made tonight? quite a difference from recent home games where the opposition have taken the early initiative.

I assume Wellens made this point to the players before the match.

6 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Really? I honestly thought he wasn't in the top three best performers for us...

He's great to watch even when he doesn't create much.

Certainly better than the goalie but perhaps on consideration Doyle should have got it.

Fane gives the ball away too much and Gardner had a crap first half. Was impressed with Davies too (for an hour)

Edited by ChaddySmoker

1 minute ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Certainly better than the goalie but perhaps on consideration Doyle should have got it

I agree, Doyle with two goals and one assist, albeit with a wayward backpass from the halfway line (WTF?!) to lead to the penalty, should have been given man of the match. But judging by the colossal roar when Placide was announced I don't think anyone can begrudge him it too much!

Undoubtedly Placide made the biggest impact on the game and a clear mom. Byrne and Fane are different players with a different role - both had great games. Fane tackling and harrying Byrne creating pulling the man in then turning round him both good to watch. 8 minutes of injury time stretched forever for no good reason. Placide booked for playing at the pace boro did in first half. The arrogance of thinking they just had to turn up to win stuffed right up their arses.  Best Banks moment when he tried an overhead kick and ended up flat on his back gave the ball away so not a competent performance.  Foreign Legion did us proud. 

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Jack Byrne is a Rolls Royce of a footballer. We're lucky to have him here. Top marks to Fane too, he was outstanding tonight. Placide is already a cult hero - pretty convinced he'll chuck 10 a season in, but it'll be an enjoyable ride along the way...

Telling you there is a player in fane. Like mike Milligan not great passer but wins the ball back time and time again. Ground he covers is immense. 

34 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I agree, Doyle with two goals and one assist, albeit with a wayward backpass from the halfway line (WTF?!) to lead to the penalty, should have been given man of the match. But judging by the colossal roar when Placide was announced I don't think anyone can begrudge him it too much!

Placide waving to the crowd while holding the ball when it was announced was brilliant!

57 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Put Gerrard right side. He was on a hiding to nothing with Nepomuceno outside him

Whichever side Gerrard is on, his wing back is on a hiding to nothing. It was beautiful seeing a derided formation work well with the right people in place. Wilson and Bryan could both cover crosses from the other side yet be able to cover full back when required, and step into midfield when there was only one forward up.

As opposed to Gerrard, who apparently never put a foot wrong by never leaving the 5 yard circle he was comfortable in as the left sided centre back

2 hours ago, Markspark92 said:

Banks was awful when he came on nearly cost us the game when he dribbled into his own box and got tackled then should of been a penalty when he pushed the player over, Placide saved his bacon with two wonder saves, he give the ball away a couple of times two made a couple of golf clearances that's it ?

I agree. He was his usual poor self. But he put a 50/50 in! Tell me you've seen him do that before and I'll call you a liar ha