GMR Radio

1 minute ago, mikejh45 said:

What did Moiseley say?

He did say the potential investors would have no say in the next managers appointment incase the deal didn't go through.

Makes me wonder how we've ended up with our five foreign imports if he's (AL) not making any decisions going forward and was a clear contradiction.

Mark talks well but you knew the answers before he opened his mouth, it was as if Corney had his hand up his arse.

I know Gilders a fan and generally I agree with a lot of what he says but championing Dowie was bordering on cringe and reminding us how lucky we are to not be Tranmere was just plain embarrassing.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He did say the potential investors would have no say in the next managers appointment incase the deal didn't go through.

Makes me wonder how we've ended up with our five foreign imports if he's (AL) not making any decisions going forward and was a clear contradiction.

Mark talks well but you knew the answers before he opened his mouth, it was as if Corney had his hand up his arse.

I know Gilders a fan and generally I agree with a lot of what he says but championing Dowie was bordering on cringe and reminding us how lucky we are to not be Tranmere was just plain embarrassing.

Thank fuck I didn’t listen to it. Surprised he chose Tranmere tho...usually the mantra is Stockport...

Edited by boundaryblue80

I turned off part way through the interview with Matt Chambers (no disrespect to him at all).

Jimmy Wagg had Moisley on beforehand and didn't ask any questions at all about the circumstances in which the Foreign Legion have arrived or whether that was in any way connected with Sheridan's specific decision (or agreement) to go or his general uneasiness.

Then Matt Chambers comes on and is quickly asked about the rumours of an unsettling arrival of players Shez may not have wanted.

Ask the pertinent questions to the bloke at the top rather than the local journalist.

The quality of journalism on that station is dire.

58 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

As you say he is a big fan of the club. Not the first time he has churned out Tranmere as an example though.  A couple of years back in the pub, I think Darren Kelly was the manager at the time, he became all defensive when myself and a friend questioned him about the club hierarchy and the general running of the club.  He defended Corney to the hilt and quoted Tranmere, Grimsby and Stockport and how lucky we were to have Simon.

Glad I didn't waste my time listening as we very rarely learn anything new.

Edited by johnafoafc

16 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

As you say he is a big fan of the club. Not the first time he has churned out Tranmere as an example though.  A couple of years back in the pub, I think Darren Kelly was the manager at the time, he became all defensive when myself and a friend questioned him about the club hierarchy and the general running of the club.  He defended Corney to the hilt and quoted Tranmere, Grimsby and Stockport and how lucky we were to have Simon.

Glad I didn't waste my time listening as we very rarely learn anything new.

Corneys made a number of big mistakes but he’s also done well to prevent us doing a Stockport/tranmere with our falling crowds

although many will say he’s the reason for falling attendances

me personally, I think that with united and city on our doorstep... we’ve done well to stay where we are. Corney is no money rich Arab. He’s stated before in the past that the club loses 500k-1m per year, and that’s on a low budget

I won’t sing corneys name from the rooftops but I won’t discredit what he’s done for us either. We’re a league 2 club these days being honest. Stadium up to more than that but attendances, especially at our level, play a massive part

Edited by robboman

Why didn't Wagg ask Moisley if it's investment or an actual takeover?

At least then we'd get an indication if the new owners are pumping in a few grand for running costs in return for their players joining or a full-blown buy-out top to bottom.

I'm uncertain if Lemsagam has the cash or representing someone who has but he's flying back for tonight's game.

The club desperately needs serious cash injection into the team and not just loan players or gambling on triallists 

5 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Why didn't Wagg ask Moisley if it's investment or an actual takeover?

At least then we'd get an indication if the new owners are pumping in a few grand for running costs in return for their players joining or a full-blown buy-out top to bottom.

I'm uncertain if Lemsagam has the cash or representing someone who has but he's flying back for tonight's game.

The club desperately needs serious cash injection into the team and not just loan players or gambling on triallists 

The intentions are pretty clear aren't they? Not sure it necessarily needs spelling out.

9 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

Not sure what people's expectations are in terms of how quickly this deal should be done - but have read some criticism of SC et al for taking too long.

Not sure what people's experience of mergers and acquisitions is - but it's often a slow process.

I run a few businesses that the parent company is selling so I will give an indication of timeline.

May 2016 I was informed of intention to sell

October 2016 we informed colleagues of intention to sell and that we were now marketing the businesses and looking for expressions of interest

January 2017 first stage bids in and process of comparing and understanding them commenced (not straightforward)

May 2017 Short listed bidders identified and final bids requested and Due Diligence phase one starts

July 2017 preferred bidders identified and phase 2 Due Diligence starts and final negotiations on commercial deal starts (a bit like having an offer on a house accepted - and then doing surveys and haggling money off because the flat roof looks a bit dodgy)

We are now almost in October and all 5 businesses are still under our control.  Some of these are close to being done finally, others will take until Christmas or beyond because there is an equivalent of a "fit and proper person" test because the areas we work in.

And this is apparently pretty standard - we have a £5m budget for advisors / legal support to manage this process and they deal with lots of deals.

Often deals seem to go quickly because people only become aware fairly late in the process.  I get the sense that the deal to buy/invest in Latics was made public earlier in the process.

Might be a while yet...

That's all well and good but it's not quite the same situation. I doubt we're dealing with clean rooms, merging of board structures and very complex paperwork/contracts. 

People's expectations have been led by the Chairman and CEO. They said it would take a few weeks to finalise. 

9 hours ago, jsslatic said:

I turned off part way through the interview with Matt Chambers (no disrespect to him at all).

Jimmy Wagg had Moisley on beforehand and didn't ask any questions at all about the circumstances in which the Foreign Legion have arrived or whether that was in any way connected with Sheridan's specific decision (or agreement) to go or his general uneasiness.

Then Matt Chambers comes on and is quickly asked about the rumours of an unsettling arrival of players Shez may not have wanted.

Ask the pertinent questions to the bloke at the top rather than the local journalist.

The quality of journalism on that station is dire.

It's always noticeable nowadays that us internet anoraks know more than the journo's whenever there's anything Latics related for them to deem worthy of "reporting". 

Matt Chambers does a decent enough job but the likes of Wagg & Gilder and pretty much all the others who crawl out of the woodwork on Twitter seem several steps behind us and totally unaware of loads of important context.

One of a growing number of walks of life where most of the people in it are pretty shit at their job. 

Edited by HarryBosch

5 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

That's all well and good but it's not quite the same situation. I doubt we're dealing with clean rooms, merging of board structures and very complex paperwork/contracts. 

People's expectations have been led by the Chairman and CEO. They said it would take a few weeks to finalise. 

True, on the 3rd September, just over 3 weeks ago.

analyzing it, months technically would mean 2,3,4, etc months weeks likely to mean 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 but of course the timings could slip to motnhs easily!

Also "owner" was the term. so takeover the aim.

I would say, that it's been reported but not widely picked up that Abdullah is a friend of Simon Corney, so it is possible that if the ownership falls through, other ways round coul be possible.

Edited by singe

13 hours ago, robboman said:

Corneys made a number of big mistakes but he’s also done well to prevent us doing a Stockport/tranmere with our falling crowds

although many will say he’s the reason for falling attendances

me personally, I think that with united and city on our doorstep... we’ve done well to stay where we are. Corney is no money rich Arab. He’s stated before in the past that the club loses 500k-1m per year, and that’s on a low budget

I won’t sing corneys name from the rooftops but I won’t discredit what he’s done for us either. We’re a league 2 club these days being honest. Stadium up to more than that but attendances, especially at our level, play a massive part

Interesting down boats and upboats on here, worth mentioning plenty disagree and still some agree. 

I think youve all been been listening and taking Corneys word as gospel, if you find yourself agreeing with all of that... 

3 hours ago, MAC0AFC said:

Interesting down boats and upboats on here, worth mentioning plenty disagree and still some agree. 

I think youve all been been listening and taking Corneys word as gospel, if you find yourself agreeing with all of that... 

Life is not black and white.

15 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

It was only when we had those cup games a few years ago plus a few player sales thrown in. Apart from that we have been a loss making business.

But Corney hasn't exactly been plugging losses of £1m a year for the last five years.  And neither has anybody else.

5 hours ago, Hands on said:

Wagg will have been told what questions he could ask and clearly the whatever is a rather touchy subject as is the influx of the foreign legion hence you can't ask about that.

Thank god for the influx of foreign players. All look pretty good to me. If Menig is another then we really have picked up some useful players.