I don't see many games and therefore don't comment specifically on many but am reading about yesterday that it was the best Latics have played for up to five decades and so on.  Great if true but really?  Better than the demolition of Arsenal early in the cup run?  Better than the St Valentines' Day massacre of West Ham?  Better than the first Maine Road semi-final vs. United?  Find it very hard to believe.

Was reading stuff not far from that level after the game vs Bristol Rovers which proved to be the very definition of a false dawn.  Much though I hope we have entered a glorious new era a bit more evidence needed for this old cynic.

Edited by Dave_Og

Watched the game on iFollow and it was the best performance of the season, and perhaps for the last few seasons.

But no, it wasn't in my opinion up to the standard of the halcyon days under Royle where we took on teams far higher up the league and out classed them.

For many that have only ever seen the dross that we have endured for numerous seasons stuck in this division - their barometer of good is somewhat different to those that saw the 1989-1992 era when we competed with the very best.

Well speaking as one of the guilty parties - though I stated with a caveat 'for 30 minutes'    That 30 minute period was truly something to behold! As RW said in the post-match interview he was gutted, absolutely gutted that performance was away from home so most fans missed it.

The Arsenal match in the league cup ( 3-1) was, and still is, my favourite match of all time - more so than the West ham game!

That period in the Pompey game was full of our players running the channels and spreading the opposition allowing killer pass after killer pass. Players having the confidence to dribble past the opposition while still in defence, Placide with a truly world-class save, shots of the bar, 

As I posted at the time I was quite giddy and maybe 50 years is too big a call, but I will certainly stand by a modified claim of the best ever half hour since we got relegated from the premier league, without a doubt. Forget the extended highlights and watch the full first half again - awesome! 

17 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Hyperbole.

But it’s undeniable that some of the play in the last two games has been significantly better than anything seen in the last 8 or 9 years.  

It is just two games though. 

What has changed is we are starting games better under Wellens with more closing down and  movement. Good to see the front two gelling and the midfield running at defences.

I look on it like this: we’ve been on a really crap rollercoaster for the past two decades.

Suddenly, in the space of a few weeks, we’re riding a rollercoaster that potentially defies FA health and safety regulations. 

And many of us - myself included - feel a jarring clunk clunk of gears between being conditioned to constant disappointment and unfamiliar potential success. 

So people may be losing the run of themselves a bit, but that’s all part of the thrill. 

I’m lucky enough to have seen Latics in the Premier League glory days. Those matches I went to back then with my dad are some of the best days ever. 

Tbe prospect of another bunch of kids (my sons included) getting a taste of success with Latics would be so great... 

So while there is always the possibility it’s going to come off the tracks and crash, right now I’m all for the hype. 

Since relegation from the PL our glimpses of anything other than attritional relegation fights are extremely limited.

Rare examples often have come at the start of a new managers reign:

Sherdian first time round saw us play some great football;

LJ got us playing wonderful passing football;

And on 2 games evidently RW is doing the same.

30 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Since relegation from the PL our glimpses of anything other than attritional relegation fights are extremely limited.

Rare examples often have come at the start of a new managers reign:

Sherdian first time round saw us play some great football;

LJ got us playing wonderful passing football;

And on 2 games evidently RW is doing the same.

I don’t remember enjoying that many performances under Johnson, even when we were doing fairly well.

9 hours ago, dec666 said:

I don’t remember enjoying that many performances under Johnson, even when we were doing fairly well.

Good point but the second half at home to Peterborough when we won 5-4 weren't too shabby :scarf001:

There were others too like the 4-1 win at home to Coventry,  3-2 at Bradford and an away win at Dale in front of 4000 away fans, Fleetwood away springs to mind as well despite it sleeting for most the game and Scunthorpe away, there was plenty of shit rolled in with that but it was the last time I really enjoyed a season of football. 

Edited by yarddog73

Getting hyped up is one of the joys of being a Oldham fan.

But Saturdays performance was something different and how much we have improved to compared to a month ago.  My only disappointment on Saturday was not keeping a clean sheet. But sure in time that won't be a problem.

42 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Blackburn is a big game and for me will say a lot about our credential and prospects for the season.

We are clearly capable but are we genuine candidates or simply good on our day but lacking consistency?

I have a feeling the takeover will be announced a few days before the Blackburn game.

I would have thought if we were that close to a takeover we would have already had the fit & proper person confirmation by now that the investor/owner must have from the EFL.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I have a feeling we are quite a way off any announcement just yet.

Edited by oafc1955

On 10/1/2017 at 9:50 PM, kowenicki said:

Hyperbole.

But it’s undeniable that some of the play in the last two games has been significantly better than anything seen in the last 8 or 9 years.  

It is just two games though. 

Not so sure I agree with that. We played some excellent stuff under Johnson between September and November 2014...

If wellens is in contention for manager of the month for october id say we possibly have the nouse to do something this season. 

Until then it's just 2 good performances 

However the last 2 games have shown a real turn around and clearly we can do it. We just need to do it regularly

5 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Not so sure I agree with that. We played some excellent stuff under Johnson between September and November 2014...

The first game of that season at Stevenage was exceptional.  Not least because I got a six fold acca up, including our win, which paid a grand.