An open letter to the board

Mr Corney, and associates. 

As fans of Oldham Athletic, we want nothing more than the club to be the best it can possibly be at any given time. We understand the club works within tight constraints off the pitch, and this often has an adverse affect on it, but every now and then there comes a time when you - As custodians of the club - can make a decision that is the overwhelming first choice of the majority, while at the same time won't jepodise the clubs future financially.

Over the last 4 games Ritchie Wellens has galvanised this squad into a team that has the potential to not only be one of the best Oldham teams seen in years, but one that could actually challenge this season. The fans are absolutely loving not only the results but the performances to go with it. In him we believe we have a winner. 

We are not blind enough to think this can continue. There may be troubled times ahead, but when you are winning why upset the apple cart with an outside appointment? Recent media reports have suggested big name appointments, but the fans simply want to see good attacking winning football which we have seen in abundance under the current manager. There is no guarantee any outside appointment will match that no matter how big the name. 

I write this to ask you to make the sensible decision and make the current caretaker manager permanent as soon as is viable. Clearly there are goings on behind the scenes that us as fans do not know about, but all involved want the best for the club and it would seem folly at the current time not to give the job to Ritchie Wellens.

We await your decision, but know it will be one that has the best interests of the club at heart, and one that will bring solid foundations to the club going forward.

Good letter and I was to do similar;

Good evening Mr Corney & Mr Lemsagam

I'll cut straight to the point with one simple question; Why spend unnecessary thousands on a new manager when you have the ideal candidate already within your employment?

Use some of that money on promoting Richie Wellens to manager and extend his contract for a further two seasons with a club option to extend that further should he maintain his success.

The remainder and a little extra would be wisely used in signing Byrne and Doyle on permanent contracts whilst extending Bryan's loan until the end of the season.

Achieving success requires the right combination of factors...after years of trying to find those without success there is a genuine feeling that we might have now.  Please don't allow this opportunity to pass us by.  Act now and by securing Wellens, Byrne, Doyle, Bryan to the whole of this season and beyond will not only boost our chances of finally leaving this league through promotion but stabilise our position in the Championship.

Today against Blackburn we witnessed a near full capacity boosted by a win and Richie Wellens being praised locally and nationally in the media.  Acting now, we could experience this each and every week.

Thank you on behalf of the thousands of loyal Oldham Athletics supporters 

55 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Good letter and I was to do similar;

Good evening Mr Corney & Mr Lemsagam

I'll cut straight to the point with one simple question; Why spend unnecessary thousands on a new manager when you have the ideal candidate already within your employment?

Use some of that money on promoting Richie Wellens to manager and extend his contract for a further two seasons with a club option to extend that further should he maintain his success.

The remainder and a little extra would be wisely used in signing Byrne and Doyle on permanent contracts whilst extending Bryan's loan until the end of the season.

Achieving success requires the right combination of factors...after years of trying to find those without success there is a genuine feeling that we might have now.  Please don't allow this opportunity to pass us by.  Act now and by securing Wellens, Byrne, Doyle, Bryan to the whole of this season and beyond will not only boost our chances of finally leaving this league through promotion but stabilise our position in the Championship.

Today against Blackburn we witnessed a near full capacity boosted by a win and Richie Wellens being praised locally and nationally in the media.  Acting now, we could experience this each and every week.

Thank you on behalf of the thousands of loyal Oldham Athletics supporters 

3 hours ago, philliggi said:

Mr Corney, and associates. 

As fans of Oldham Athletic, we want nothing more than the club to be the best it can possibly be at any given time. We understand the club works within tight constraints off the pitch, and this often has an adverse affect on it, but every now and then there comes a time when you - As custodians of the club - can make a decision that is the overwhelming first choice of the majority, while at the same time won't jepodise the clubs future financially.

Over the last 4 games Ritchie Wellens has galvanised this squad into a team that has the potential to not only be one of the best Oldham teams seen in years, but one that could actually challenge this season. The fans are absolutely loving not only the results but the performances to go with it. In him we believe we have a winner. 

We are not blind enough to think this can continue. There may be troubled times ahead, but when you are winning why upset the apple cart with an outside appointment? Recent media reports have suggested big name appointments, but the fans simply want to see good attacking winning football which we have seen in abundance under the current manager. There is no guarantee any outside appointment will match that no matter how big the name. 

I write this to ask you to make the sensible decision and make the current caretaker manager permanent as soon as is viable. Clearly there are goings on behind the scenes that us as fans do not know about, but all involved want the best for the club and it would seem folly at the current time not to give the job to Ritchie Wellens.

We await your decision, but know it will be one that has the best interests of the club at heart, and one that will bring solid foundations to the club going forward.

Richie FFS. 

Tbh i loved Wellens as a techical footballer when he was here but also had the idea that he was a bit of a c##t with the younger players at the time i.e Taylor, Eardley really getting at them when they made a mistake, but there is no doubting he has something that has galvanised these lot and talks very well in his pressers......stop pissing around and give the lad a whirl he couldnt have done anymore to prove himself.......could be an interesting ride ahead ladies and gents and i am as enthusiastic as i have been for a long while when i head to BP

Im actually quite relaxed about the choice of manager. I will back either Wellens or Correra here assuming they are the 2 choices here. Wellens has shown great potential as a manager his ability to tweak and to change things when required. Correra has a decade of experience of top flight football in France alot of clubs in the championship would happily take a manager with his kind of C.V. due to the fact he has been sniffing around the club for a while now suggests he wont be going in blind.

I just think that with new investment coming into the club things are going to change and that we are potentially at the dawn of a new era.

Now I've been supporting this club long enough to know this can all turn to shit. We will have a proper Corney Gazal and Blitz bashing session if this falls through but if it doesnt then I would think that we can start looking forward to some interesting times at BP over the next few years

29 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

True but spelling names of players and managers correctly is not hard.

Granted. But when you write a full post like the one I've been picked up on and you do actually spell it correctly but it gets auto corrected on my phone it's easy to forget.

If I typed using terms like gr8 and massif etc I can understand it but aside from the one auto corrected piece stated above it's an otherwise we'll written piece there's no need to be anal about every typo. Especially one that is Ritchie instead of Richie given the fact one of our clubs greatest legends goes by that name and therefore gets mentioned a lot. 

And anyway this is taking away from the original point of the topic. It's got 8 upboats so clearly it hasn't bothered others quite as much

Edited by philliggi

8 hours ago, OL9erlatic said:

Tbh i loved Wellens as a techical footballer when he was here but also had the idea that he was a bit of a c##t with the younger players at the time i.e Taylor, Eardley really getting at them when they made a mistake, but there is no doubting he has something that has galvanised these lot and talks very well in his pressers......stop pissing around and  give the lad a whirl he couldnt have done anymore to prove himself.......could be an interesting ride ahead ladies and gents and i am as enthusiastic as i have been for a long while when i head to BP

Taylor and Eardley both went on to play higher, so even then Wellens looked to improve their games.

Same yesterday pointing out where players were going wrong yet applauding what they were doing right.

As players were subsituted each came to Wellens with a smile and firm handshakes, no sulking at all.

This is turning not only into a team, but a good squad, which augers well for the future. 

Ps . I noticed the big Haiti centre back Ambrose  was watching the game, could be our next singing?

Edited by BP1960

Think we need a sprinkling of reality

Before yesterday we had won 3 games in a row under the guidance of Richie Wellens, who for me has done a brilliant job of producing a much better of style of football than we've seen for a very long time and is getting results

However, despite facing ex Premier League Champions and local neighbours Blackburn Rovers for the first time in the League since 1993, our official attendance was only 7,784 of which c3,500 being Rovers fans. So despite the massive improvement in results, the Media attention (tv and newspapers) regarding a new manger appointment and if we won, it would the first time in our Club History that a new manager got 4 wins in a row,only 4,300 Latics Supporters turn up !

We have paid our Club Staff and Players late again and not for the first time. Recently published financial data point to annual trading losses in the £millions.

Our Club is in desperate need of financial help, be it from a Takeover or an Investor and not for just a few £million

Anyone who is prepared to spend £millions in our Club will most certainly have their own ideas on who they want to appoint in both 'on the field' matters and likewise 'off the field' matters. I would be seriously concerned if they did not want to.

Yesterdays game was the most I have enjoyed at Boundary Park for years and I truly hope Richie Wellens will play a significant role in the ongoing future of playing staff.

However,I would be really surprised, if there is not a new manager waiting to be announced as part of the financial help deal that we critically need

:chubb:

2 hours ago, philliggi said:

It's a bloody football forum not the magna Carta 

Whilst this is true, if you do intend to send an email this to the club's owner, then you would need to proofread it, otherwise it will probably be dropped into his 'junk' folder. 

5 hours ago, tGWB said:

. So despite the massive improvement in results, the Media attention (tv and newspapers) regarding a new manger appointment and if we won, it would the first time in our Club History that a new manager got 4 wins in a row,only 4,300 Latics Supporters turn up !

Highest turnout this season

12 hours ago, latics22 said:

I'd imagine there would have been more if it wasn't all ticket

More to the point though how many of the more casual fans lets say will be coming back after saturday? Id imagine quite a few we all left the ground on a high how many will have gone back to their locals to tell their mates what they saw. How many will go into work tomorrow telling people about that last minute winner they saw. Games like saturday are what gets people back through the gates. More of the same and gradually the crowds will start to head north. Big anoucements this week could also see reignite peoples passion for the club.

Edited by GlossopLatic

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

More to the point though how many of the more casual fans lets say will be coming back after saturday? Id imagine quite a few we all left the ground on a high how many will have gone bavk to their locals to tell their mates what they saw. How many will fo into work tomorrow telling people about that last minute winner they saw. Games like saturday are what gets people back through the gates. More of the same and gradually the crowds will statt to head north. Big anoucements this week could also see reignited peoples passion for the club.

We look like scoring every game. Teams know that to beat us they need to score more than 1. Shez can take a lot of credit for that given the players predominantly responsible.

When was the last time we could say that. There was a spell under Johnson, but otherwise I think it's Shez's first spell (the first half of his last season)

Winning and scoring at home is always going to bring in more fans than random one off or short lived promotions with reduced prices.

We were always going to get a bit of a bumper home gate as people who don't routinely go were going to make an effort.  Some of those are going to become a bit more regular, we saw that last season with the crowds against Blades, Notlob, Bury and Dale.

If we keep winning they will come.