Southend (A)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, singe said:

Richie Wellens as Interim boss, all comps

P5 W4 D1 L0 F8  A4   GlsPG+ 1.6 GlsPG -0.8   PtsPG 2.6  Win% 80% (equivalent)

As Manager permanantly

P9 W3 D3 L3 F17  A15 GlsPG+ 1.9 GlsPG-1.7  PtsPG 1.9 Win% 30% (equivalent)

Is there some point to this? If there is please advise? - trying to base stats on 5 gammes seems pointless to me

4 minutes ago, tringerlatic42 said:

Is there some point to this? If there is please advise? - trying to base stats on 5 gammes seems pointless to me

5 games is 7 hours and 30 mins.......A levels are typically 2x 3 hour exams...people get to university or not based on those 6 hours?

Just now, mcfluff1985 said:

You really are a puzzling specimen. Definitely a specimen.

World Cup groups last 4 and a half hours...managers then get sacked or not. Singes stats cover 14 games but because they don't match a preferred narrative they are rubbished. 

31 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Getting back to the match today I'd be interested in peoples thoughts (preferably from someone who attended) on how Clarke performed, I notice he was subbed which happens rarely, was this a tactical change or because of a poor performance? 

He played ok but was painfully slow.  More than once he had a couple of yards start and lost out.  Plenty of blocks and good in the air but soooo slow.  Didn't understand the substitution though; couldn't see what that could add at that stage of the game

7 hours ago, Magister said:

5 games is 7 hours and 30 mins.......A levels are typically 2x 3 hour exams...people get to university or not based on those 6 hours?

That may have been the case in your day. Although most people did 3 A-levels.

It changed to a module based system in 2002 (17+ age) (technically 2000). I don’t think it has changed back but it may have done.

If you are going to choose a strange metaphor, at least get it right.

Edited by rudemedic

4 hours ago, rudemedic said:

That may have been the case in your day. Although most people did 3 A-levels.

It changed to a module based system in 2002 (17+ age) (technically 2000). I don’t think it has changed back but it may have done.

If you are going to choose a strange metaphor, at least get it right.

I think you will find that A ievels have largely reverted to a linear rather than modular format somewhat negating the essence of your post

if you are going to challenge the content of a post at least get it right

Things I learnt from yesterday:

1) Tope is not a winger.

2) Menig is not a winger

3) Genero is  a winger and caused more problems in his cameo than the other two put together.

4) We've lost the art of man marking. I saw very early on that the Southend nr.9 was troubling Clarke so why not put Bryan shadowing him.

5) Davies has played into his early 30's without understanding the offside rule.

6) Fane is our most important player.

10 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

He played ok but was painfully slow.  More than once he had a couple of yards start and lost out.  Plenty of blocks and good in the air but soooo slow.  Didn't understand the substitution though; couldn't see what that could add at that stage of the game

I did ponder myself if the change back from Gerrard to Clarke  had caused us to leak goals again.

Sounded like it was just going to one of those days with the chances we had/missed penalty and all

its a shame because these last three games could have propelled us right up the table if they were wins..oh we'll let's hope the lads chalk it off. Roll on next week

well done to all those who made the rip too, heard you on the BBC manc commentary. Keep it up we have some long road trips ahead for the next fpcouple of months

3 hours ago, Magister said:

I think you will find that A ievels have largely reverted to a linear rather than modular format somewhat negating the essence of your post

if you are going to challenge the content of a post at least get it right

So how many exams is it per A-level then. Is it 1, 2, 3? How long are they? Oh dear. 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

So how many exams is it per A-level then. Is it 1, 2, 3? How long are they? Oh dear. 

Yep that is the point.... an 18 year old wanting to read medicine will as you know require 3 As .....if he/she has one bad/unlucky 3 hour exam and finishes up with C in chemistry for example he/she won't be reading Medicine the following October.

That 3 hour exam for that student is potentially life changing but on here we blithely dismiss a football manager's results over 14 games as not indicative of anything. ....a strange world 

We were really poor yesterday, very little to be positive about and just have to write it off as a very bad day at the office

we just couldn’t cope with Southend, they were a bit quicker and stronger in every department and we helped them by giving away a pathetic penalty after shamoblic defending and then blasting our own penalty straight at the keeper

Davis and Doyle weren’t really in the game again and I’m afraid Clarke at the back with Bryan and our two fullbacks looks very unsteady....things were better with Gerrard last week in terms of organisation 

Dummigan once again had an absolute mare defending but our tactics and personnel leave him horribly exposed. Fans battled hard but is a limited footballer so when Byrne and Gardner struggle, as they did yesterday, we get overrun easily.

A long way to go but if performance levels slip to this we could easily be dragged back into a real relegation scrap. Sad that a season that promised so much may now be effectively over if we lose on Tuesday but we have got a few decent players at least until January so need to push on

1 hour ago, ChaddySmoker said:

More crucially does a A-level in General Studies count---even if you got one without ever going to a lesson? Thought not!

Strangely enough my A in General Studies would have helped me get into Medicine at Sheffield if my other grades weren't good enough.

As it was I went elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Magister said:

Yep that is the point.... an 18 year old wanting to read medicine will as you know require 3 As .....if he/she has one bad/unlucky 3 hour exam and finishes up with C in chemistry for example he/she won't be reading Medicine the following October.

That 3 hour exam for that student is potentially life changing but on here we blithely dismiss a football manager's results over 14 games as not indicative of anything. ....a strange world 

I could keep picking holes in your argument but I won't. 

Corney has already demonstrated that results in big games don't count towards a manager's job security. Likewise he has demonstrated a willingness to give manager's out of their depth time. Neither of which apply to Wellens 

Wellens' results over 14 games, although technically it is less than that as by appointing him he restarted the clock, don't matter. The results over 6 / 7 months do. If we are languishing in the relegation zone in a few months Wellens will be gone. It doesn't matter if Wellens overall record in that time would be mid-table.

3 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I could keep picking holes in your argument but I won't. 

Corney has already demonstrated that results in big games don't count towards a manager's job security. Likewise he has demonstrated a willingness to give manager's out of their depth time. Neither of which apply to Wellens 

Wellens' results over 14 games, although technically it is less than that as by appointing him he restarted the clock, don't matter. The results over 6 / 7 months do. If we are languishing in the relegation zone in a few months Wellens will be gone. It doesn't matter if Wellens overall record in that time would be mid-table.

Exactly....the longer the period of assessment  and the more evidence there is from from  tests the better the chances of a fairer judgement.?