The Loanees

42 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

There's usually more money knocking out in this period although finding two as good as Byrne and Doyle will be virtually impossible.

The league table does read much better than in the previous two seasons, Bury gone, Rochdale looking doomed, so the need/panic isn't as strong.

Still two places up for grabs.
Glass half empty or half full?
It's a tough one.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Still two places up for grabs.
Glass half empty or half full?
It's a tough one.

If the takeover happens early part of the window, we'll probably be glass half full. If it doesn't then not even half empty-just dregs at the bottom.

20 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Usually though, to bring in better players, they have to be on loan as the club could not afford to give contracts to the better players. Whether or not this will change, we shall have to wait and see. 

I dread to think how high our wages bill is for players even without the 3 on 30 day invoices. There are various clubs in the 3rd division who do things significantly differently.

We have just been beaten by a club who sit in second place with no such superstars. We probably lie a lot closer to financial meltdown than they do.

1 minute ago, ChaddySmoker said:

I dread to think how high our wages bill is for players even without the 3 on 30 day invoices. There are various clubs in the 3rd division who do things significantly differently.

We have just been beaten by a club who sit in second place with no such superstars. We probably lie a lot closer to financial meltdown than they do.

Yes, I see your point. I find it strange regarding the influx of players such as Menig and Maouche. The squad is the largest it has been for quite some time and we have to wonder where the money has come from...if not Lemsagam. Shrewsbury appear to be a club defying the odds in terms of league position but maybe they are showing the rest that stability and a team ethic are much more valuable than star players and lots of cash.

4 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Yes, I see your point. I find it strange regarding the influx of players such as Menig and Maouche. The squad is the largest it has been for quite some time and we have to wonder where the money has come from...if not Lemsagam. Shrewsbury appear to be a club defying the odds in terms of league position but maybe they are showing the rest that stability and a team ethic are much more valuable than star players and lots of cash.

I'm not upboating you twice either..! :D

Liittle conflab with a Pompey fan, hoping Eoin Doyle doesn't go back to them (Nixon says they are singing a surprise scoring striker from LEague One) made me look at out strikers record, and who has got over 20 goals a season.

1 player in the last 27 seasons for us

5 players in 39 seasons

8 players in the 50 full seasons  I have been on this planet.

Strikers graveyard.

36 minutes ago, singe said:

Liittle conflab with a Pompey fan, hoping Eoin Doyle doesn't go back to them (Nixon says they are singing a surprise scoring striker from LEague One) made me look at out strikers record, and who has got over 20 goals a season.

1 player in the last 27 seasons for us

5 players in 39 seasons

8 players in the 50 full seasons  I have been on this planet.

Strikers graveyard.

When I started in the 1960s we used to have two sometimes three 20 goal a season men in the team for successive years.

Funnily enough we always had two out and out wingers back then, something frowned upon nowadays.

Those who weren't about in the 60s and 70s tell me defences were slower,  but I can tell you that's a complete myth, some defenders were quick, hard as nails and vicious, yet flair players were still aplenty.

And don't let anyone tell you they weren't fit, players like Ian Wood would find it a doddle today.

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

When I started in the 1960s we used to have two sometimes three 20 goal a season men in the team for successive years.

Funnily enough we always had two out and out wingers back then, something frowned upon nowadays.

Those who weren't about in the 60s and 70s tell me defences were slower and,  but I can tell you that's a complete myth, some defenders were quick, hard as nails and vicious, yet flair players were still aplenty.

And don't let anyone tell you they weren't fit, players like Ian Wood would find it a doddle today.

I agree, think the Ian Woods (my  favourite no striker player),  Ronnie Blairs and Keith Hicks of Oldham yore would be a godsend to us now. Hardworking, no nonsense, more dedicated than skillful, they'd have a field day.
Of course, we seemed to have an era of flair players, in Groves, Valentine, and even the likes of Halom and Stainrod.

18 minutes ago, singe said:

I agree, think the Ian Woods (my  favourite no striker player),  Ronnie Blairs and Keith Hicks of Oldham yore would be a godsend to us now. Hardworking, no nonsense, more dedicated than skillful, they'd have a field day.
Of course, we seemed to have an era of flair players, in Groves, Valentine, and even the likes of Halom and Stainrod.

And the key was although lower division players with us they were very consistent with their commitment.

Les Chapman was probably one of the most hard running enthusiastic players I've seen in following the club, and would put many of today's to shame.

Edited by BP1960

4 hours ago, Wardie said:

I’m starting to wonder if these players are on some kind of pay as you play Deal ? Maybe that’s why Mouche hasn’t played Omrani and Menig disappear and Nepo seems to get dropped sporadically ? Just a thought I have no insider at the club. 

5 hours ago, deyres42 said:

There's usually more money knocking out in this period although finding two as good as Byrne and Doyle will be virtually impossible.

The league table does read much better than in the previous two seasons, Bury gone, Rochdale looking doomed, so the need/panic isn't as strong.

I suspect over the last 2 seasons other clubs fans would have been saying Oldham gone at this stage of the season. There is still a lot of points to play for and in my eyes the bottom 4 places could be filled with any one of 10 teams. 

Bury will bring in a few old heads in the January window ( I have no idea where they get their money)

Dale will string together a good run (Hill will see sense and play his best players in their correct positions)

We need a couple of wins in the next 4 games to get the ball rolling again or else we could get sucked in to the bottom 4.

38 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I’m starting to wonder if these players are on some kind of pay as you play Deal ? Maybe that’s why Mouche hasn’t played Omrani and Menig disappear and Nepo seems to get dropped sporadically ? Just a thought I have no insider at the club. 

Really you must be the ONLY one!

24 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I suspect over the last 2 seasons other clubs fans would have been saying Oldham gone at this stage of the season. There is still a lot of points to play for and in my eyes the bottom 4 places could be filled with any one of 10 teams. 

Bury will bring in a few old heads in the January window ( I have no idea where they get their money)

Dale will string together a good run (Hill will see sense and play his best players in their correct positions)

We need a couple of wins in the next 4 games to get the ball rolling again or else we could get sucked in to the bottom 4.

Totally agree, most teams start to pick up now. Someone not looking into much danger gets dragged in! 

On 31/12/2017 at 10:46 AM, Lee Sinnott said:

A couple of the players reckon Bryan is staying until the end of the season...

The player that I heard this through now says he doesn't think any of the 3 (Doyle, Bryan, Byrne) are coming back.

Also confirmed players have not been paid again, and Brighton are another side after Bryan...

Edited by Lee Sinnott