If, as seems so,  Wellens was referring to Doyle when he said that about the striker deal being agreed until another club came in, its understandable that Wigan would want him to go to the club paying the highest % of his wages. If Doyle is happy with that too then he goes there. No question.

But if he says hang on, I don't want to be Ivan Toney's replacement on the bench, I want to play every game, then it gets more complicated. He could threaten to go nowhere and result in Preston getting nothing at all and him training with the kids for the rest of the season. Or Preston might then come back to us and say we know you cant afford all his wages  but if you can stretch to X% you can have him. There could yet be a negotiation to be had but it probably needs Doyle to a) want to come to us for game time an goal scoring opportunities and b, be willing to dig his heels in with his employers.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

How does it?

Wellens says a club blew us out of the water. if that relates to Doyle then it seems no deal was in place and then someone offering PNE not Doyle more money which PNE took.

As a business why would you let him choose? 

'We have 2 offers. Wigan are offering to cover 100% of your wage Eion but Oldham are offering £250 quid for every appearance. What would you prefer because that's what matters?' ?

See Bozmans post.

You seem fixated on the idea that clubs get to tell players where to go when it hasn't been that way for about 25 years.

Wigan doesn't make sense

He'll be coming back from injury and will need time to get match fit. He knows he's highly regarded here and will be on the pitch as soon as he's fit and hopefully Wellens has been on the phone to him everyday. At Wigan he has to prove his fitness and then will be down the pecking order, by the time he get's his chance there could be very little of the season left.

If its on loan why would he pick Wigan?

2 minutes ago, cmr said:

Wigan doesn't make sense

He'll be coming back from injury and will need time to get match fit. He knows he's highly regarded here and will be on the pitch as soon as he's fit and hopefully Wellens has been on the phone to him everyday. At Wigan he has to prove his fitness and then will be down the pecking order, by the time he get's his chance there could be very little of the season left.

I think the issue is that Preston will be doing the picking, not Doyle himself, if the deal is better for them.  Having said that, it may be better for PNE for him to be banging them in for us, rather than coming off the bench for Wigan.

17 minutes ago, cmr said:

Wigan doesn't make sense

I know I called it that we'd got him on loan until the end of the season - and I may well end up with egg on my face over that - but our problem here is that the Wigan manager Paul Cook is a massive Eoin Doyle fan. They worked together at Sligo Rovers.

Its already been mentioned it could be the end of Feb before he’s back to full fitness. Please don’t it be like the keeper situation dicking about waiting on an answer and then we are left up the shitter. We need an answer now you going to sign No, then we move on and try and sign someone else.

7 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

I think the issue is that Preston will be doing the picking, not Doyle himself, if the deal is better for them.  Having said that, it may be better for PNE for him to be banging them in for us, rather than coming off the bench for Wigan.

Same thoughts here, what benefits Doyle benefits Preston.... sitting on the bench at Wigwam benefits noone

1 minute ago, Fergie said:

Its already been mentioned it could be the end of Feb before he’s back to full fitness. Please don’t it be like the keeper situation dicking about waiting on an answer and then we are left up the shitter. We need an answer now you going to sign No, then we move on and try and sign someone else.

We need someone scoring goals now, we need someone signed up now or else we are in trouble.

53 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

for clarification when Doyle goes to Wigan are we all saying he went there because PNE took the best offer of 100% wage covered and he didn't have a choice?

if so why did Ripley simply pick Burton of the Championship over Oldham without any say from Boro?

In signing up for a campaign with Nigel Clough's men, Ripley turned down offers from elsewhere, including the chance to return to Oldham Athletic, the side whose clean sheet record he equalled in helping to keep them in the third tier last term.

Northampton Town were another League One outfit interested in his services, according to the man himself, while Bristol City - Albion's Championship rivals - were also linked with a move for the ex-Motherwell loanee.

The chance to test himself in the Championship, though, was what informed Ripley's decision.

"I had a few offers," he confirmed ahead of tonight's Carabao Cup trip to face Oldham. 

"I had a lot down in League One. Oldham were desperate to get me back, and I know Northampton were.

"But, ultimately, I wanted to be in the Championship.

"For me, it's a no-brainer. You want to play at the highest level you can for as long as you can".

Sounds like he made the choice there. Maybe he didn't.

20 minutes ago, Fergie said:

If he ain't going to be kicking a ball before the end of Feb then I don't know what we're doing trying to sign him tbh unless it's a permanent deal.

17 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

If he ain't going to be kicking a ball before the end of Feb then I don't know what we're doing trying to sign him tbh unless it's a permanent deal.

True, a very risky decision to sign him, as he could easily not be back to mid March or worse, then we'd be really up shit street

It's still as risk even if it is back end of Feb, as we could really be in the mire then, and no guarantee he will come back where he left off, firing on all cylinders.

I would take a permanent deal for Doyle right now in readiness for a good go at the league next season but a loan for this season taking into account his fitness levels would be a massive gamble. 

Perhaps McEleney ( when fit and registered ) could produce the goods alongside Holloway or Davies?

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I would take a permanent deal for Doyle right now in readiness for a good go at the league next season but a loan for this season taking into account his fitness levels would be a massive gamble. 

Perhaps McEleney ( when fit and registered ) could produce the goods alongside Holloway or Davies?

Depends which league

10 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

Providing there is no issue with long term fitness Doyle will end up at Oldham. When that is i dont know but i suspect it's partly to do with us not being willling to pay for someone who can't yet play... 

Yes, the MEN are saying Wellens is still  confident of bringing Doyle in but he won't be able to play until mid March.

It seems the striker Wellens referred to on ifollow last was probably not Doyle but another target who looks likely to go to Rotherham instead.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/oldham-athletic-shrewsbury-wellens-doyle-14189260

13 minutes ago, bozman said:

Yes, the MEN are saying Wellens is still  confident of bringing Doyle in but he won't be able to play until mid March.

It seems the striker Wellens referred to on ifollow last was probably not Doyle but another target who looks likely to go to Rotherham instead.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/oldham-athletic-shrewsbury-wellens-doyle-14189260

Jay Emmanuel Thomas?

2 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Doidge from Forest Green apparently

That would have been good 

14 league goals and 4 assists so far this season 

marsh - Brown is there too, so they’ll be needing some new watches, allegedly 

Archived