Little Drummer Boy

I am going with my son to the Shrewsbury match and we are thinking of sitting with the home fans to avoid being in a confined space with the drum! Yes it's that irritating.

Does that mean Shrewsbury will get our money rather than Latics? Not sure how it works these days.

Edited by Stainrod

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

I am going with my son to the Shrewsbury match and we are thinking of sitting with the home fans to avoid being in a confined space with the drum! Yes it's that irritating.

Does that mean Shrewsbury will get our money rather than Latics? Not sure how it works these days.

Lol bit of an overreaction imo. Just sit a bit further away with your own fans ? And Shrewsbury get the money for Home and away fans either way as not FA cup tie. 

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Lol bit of an overreaction imo. Just sit a bit further away with your own fans ? And Shrewsbury get the money for Home and away fans either way as not FA cup tie. 

Agreed, no doubt we'll be at the Latics end when it comes to it.

4 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Agreed, no doubt we'll be at the Latics end when it comes to it.

I’m with you tho it is bloody awful. At Southend they decided to come and sit on the row in front of me directly, I had an absolutely thumping headache and no energy to move. It’s a tough on for me as they are only kids really otherwise I’d be tempted to put my foot through it !

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I’m with you tho it is bloody awful. At Southend they decided to come and sit on the row in front of me directly, I had an absolutely thumping headache and no energy to move. It’s a tough on for me as they are only kids really otherwise I’d be tempted to put my foot through it !

I got myself a great seat away at Chesterfield last season... Great that is, until he sat next to me. Non stop for 45 minutes drove me to insanity - moved as far away as I could for the second half on the front row 

Am I right in thinking that allowing the drum in the ground is at the discretion of the home club? If that's the case, I'm going to send an email in advance asking if they will be giving permission and letting them know that I won't be attending if it is. Not necessarily the whole truth but it is worth a go.

My email and the Shrews response:

Hi, I'm thinking of coming to this match as a Latics fan. However, recent away games have been spoilt for me by incessant banging on a drum in our section. Could you please let me know if you will be giving permission for our fan to bring the drum in to your stadium. If you are then I'm afraid I won't be attending. 

Hello Mike

We do normally allow drums but the owner has to sign an undertaking on entry to the effect that they are not to be used as you describe but only to start / encourage songs in support of the team.  The agreement states that if the noise becomes excessive and / or we get any complaints we will ask that it is stopped and if necessary remove the drum which can then be collected at the end of the game.

Kind Regards

Lawrence Ellerby

Safety Officer

Shrewsbury Town FC

5 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

My email and the Shrews response:

Hi, I'm thinking of coming to this match as a Latics fan. However, recent away games have been spoilt for me by incessant banging on a drum in our section. Could you please let me know if you will be giving permission for our fan to bring the drum in to your stadium. If you are then I'm afraid I won't be attending. 

Hello Mike

We do normally allow drums but the owner has to sign an undertaking on entry to the effect that they are not to be used as you describe but only to start / encourage songs in support of the team.  The agreement states that if the noise becomes excessive and / or we get any complaints we will ask that it is stopped and if necessary remove the drum which can then be collected at the end of the game.

Kind Regards

Lawrence Ellerby

Safety Officer

Shrewsbury Town FC

Good work, can we now install you as the OFAPI (Oldham fans against percussion instruments) officer and get you to email all the clubs we’re due to visit? Especially Charlton because I’m going. Cheers 

21 minutes ago, phoenix blue and tangerine said:

in the season of goodwill to all men, that letter is one of the saddest things ive seen at latics. get a life.

So many ways I could respond to that arse gravy. But instead I think I'll get on with my life. 

(I know this looks like a response but it's really a notification that I won't be responding.)

26 minutes ago, phoenix blue and tangerine said:

in the season of goodwill to all men, that letter is one of the saddest things ive seen at latics. get a life.

Behave.

The response from Shrewsbury is excellent.  It's all about balance and they've nailed it.  Hopefully they'll enforce it too, before somebody inserts drummer boy's head in said drum.

I think the Shrewsbury response is all that fans are asking for, for me the drum has become one mans self indulgence at the detriment to thousands of fans entertainment,  there was a time when it was used in a positive way but now it seems to drone on even if nobody responds to it, used effectively drums can introduce atmosphere but currently our is killing it.

Wow, this thread is fucking depressing, especially the letter to Shrewsbury

i was at all the games mentioned.....at Portsmouth I stood near the drum and rowdy young lads and had a real laugh, very loud and non stop for 90 minutes.....at MK we decided to sit in a quieter section away from the drum as we had mates with us and then at Southend we moved to a block just about the right distance away

in other words, you can usually make your choice, very few stadiums have designated seats at our level and we don’t exactly fill the away ends ....someone mentions Charlton...fuck me, have you seen the size of the away end there???!!! I think you will be alright if you want to find a quiet corner even if we take a 1000

to actively try and ban or bully some young lads from going to away games when they are amongst the most loyal fans we have right now (and let’s face it we dont have that many) is unbelievable

All they are doing is trying to create a great atmosphere and the positive comments about us often being the best away fans are in no small part thanks to them (including the, yes, sometimes annoying, drum)

i agree “oh when the blues” has been slightly lost but surely a quiet, kinder, word with the group could result in the drum starting the beat for OWTB but then stopping and letting the song carry on like it used to

get a grip everyone 

All about opinions. It's like being at the cinema and someone behind you eating crisps and sweets all the way through a movie you were looking forward to and really want to enjoy. Not great is it and you wouldn't want to put up with it or long.

Merry Christmas.

All about opinions. It's like being at the cinema and someone behind you eating crisps and sweets all the way through a movie you were looking forward to and really want to enjoy. Not great is it and you wouldn't want to put up with it or long.

Merry Christmas.

I don’t know much about this drum situation, but that’s a bloody awful comparison, sorry 

Merry Christmas.

Mmm, is it though.....noisily eating crisps and sweets during something where quiet is needed is not exactly the same.....live football is surely as much about atmosphere as it is about the actual play

5 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Mmm, is it though.....noisily eating crisps and sweets during something where quiet is needed is not exactly the same.....live football is surely as much about atmosphere as it is about the actual play

How about going to a concert and the drummer plays the same loud repetitive beat throughout each and every song?

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

Wow, this thread is fucking depressing, especially the letter to Shrewsbury

i was at all the games mentioned.....at Portsmouth I stood near the drum and rowdy young lads and had a real laugh, very loud and non stop for 90 minutes.....at MK we decided to sit in a quieter section away from the drum as we had mates with us and then at Southend we moved to a block just about the right distance away

in other words, you can usually make your choice, very few stadiums have designated seats at our level and we don’t exactly fill the away ends ....someone mentions Charlton...fuck me, have you seen the size of the away end there???!!! I think you will be alright if you want to find a quiet corner even if we take a 1000

to actively try and ban or bully some young lads from going to away games when they are amongst the most loyal fans we have right now (and let’s face it we dont have that many) is unbelievable

All they are doing is trying to create a great atmosphere and the positive comments about us often being the best away fans are in no small part thanks to them (including the, yes, sometimes annoying, drum)

i agree “oh when the blues” has been slightly lost but surely a quiet, kinder, word with the group could result in the drum starting the beat for OWTB but then stopping and letting the song carry on like it used to

get a grip everyone 

Don't want him banned, just to be a bit less selfish 

The drum obviously pisses people off because out of the dozen or so contributors to this thread it divides opinion, don't think anyone is knocking the lads who follow us efforts just the way they sometimes go about it, it probably sounds fucking amazing if your inebriated and stood ten yards away off your nut but equally it sounds wank if your a block a two away and just want to enjoy the normal ebb and flow of a match and the atmosphere that goes with that.