Little Drummer Boy

8 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

My email and the Shrews response:

Hi, I'm thinking of coming to this match as a Latics fan. However, recent away games have been spoilt for me by incessant banging on a drum in our section. Could you please let me know if you will be giving permission for our fan to bring the drum in to your stadium. If you are then I'm afraid I won't be attending. 

Hello Mike

We do normally allow drums but the owner has to sign an undertaking on entry to the effect that they are not to be used as you describe but only to start / encourage songs in support of the team.  The agreement states that if the noise becomes excessive and / or we get any complaints we will ask that it is stopped and if necessary remove the drum which can then be collected at the end of the game.

Kind Regards

Lawrence Ellerby

Safety Officer

Shrewsbury Town FC

Grass

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the drummer has seen the thread...

Ryan Green‎ to Oldham Athletic supporters group real fans

Is it any wonder why some people dont turn up, i wouldnt if i had to sit next to these miserable lot. ?

Juel Miah Subhan No wonder German and other leagues miles ahead of us.. Without fans there’s nothing..

Ryan Green I mean even clubs in Malaysia are miles ahead of us! Maybe if everyone sung you wouldnt hear the drum ?

John Wild Miserable gets .

Juel Miah Subhan Absolutely joke..

Callum Tyler Glossop What would we do if we didn’t have the drum.. it would be like a Library

Peter Oneill They are quite right Ryan.
God forbid you try to create an atmosphere or get behind the team. After all we are overflowing with fans who sing their hearts out and hardly ever moan about the club or team.
Sod em - you and the Athleticos are a breath of fresh air so keep up the good work. You all make a difference - and the players show that at the end of each game.

Col Moore What a fanny - stick with it our kid it generates a good atmosphere and I am sure the players appreciate it even if one or two pussies in the crowd do not.

Terry T-dog Whaley Plain fucking arseholes

That's all they are

Lets sit there in silence and say fuck all then

Fuck off down to that bastard museum old trafford or to city

We can do without these absolute fuckwits

Amanda Jane Maybe we could have a designated quiet stand ?? bit like the quiet carriage on trains. They can all sit there with their fingers on their lips! Miserable lot!

Ryan Green Hmm... im sure ive heard of that idea before... im sure its called project Etihad ?

John Wild Simple don't come . Won't be missed.

Denise Howlings Fgs sake no drum no atmosphere, get a life you miserable sods

Penny Marie Garforth Love the Drum. Boring barstools. All part of the atmosphere. Yes it's loud but it brings fun and I think boosts the players moral. Bang it harder tomorrow lol. ??????????

Jenny Jones-Key Ignore them. They dont deserve a football club.
Keep up the fab work the amtosphere so much better.

Bob Oafc Isaacs I think I learn to play the trumpet and Join you Ryan

Mike Holden It's ironic that people think that the atmosphere in Germany & other countries is ahead us when they admired us in the past because we didn't try to manufacture an atmosphere like they do with drums, megaphones, 'ultras' etc imo if you need a drum for every single song that's sang (always to fast by the way) then the atmosphere is fucked anyway! No offence to anyone who thinks that constant banging actually provides any atmosphere ?

Ryan Green Very true Mike, but at the moment with the atmosphere being manufactured as you say then what are we left with? Atleast in Places like Germany and all over the world if everyone inbraced it then maybe we can get back to the old days where it is just spotanious full stadium singing. At the moment you arnt able to create that type of atmosphere without the encourament of an Ultras style. Atleast the ultras movement is proven.

Unfortunately the old english atmosphere is just not possible with fans nowadays.

To me aslong as everyone is singing and getting behind the team and not booing it doesnt matter which way its done

Mike Holden But Ryan as seen in the original post and it's not the first time. Many are put off by the drum. I'd guess it's also one of the reason the 'athleticos' are seated in the far corner of the stand. Leave the drum for a few weeks and sing your hearts out and idbet you'll find more people willing to join in. Especially if you all sit more central.

Ryan Green Unfortunately were in that corner cause its the only way we'd be allowed a block where we could all stand without the trouble we used to get in the rre about 5 years ago. Ill discuss with the group and see what they think about a trial, im open to trying it all although id prefer not too but we all have our own opinions haha

Tbh though like i put on a post below. I went to a frankfurt match at the beginning of this month and stood right in the middle of the ultras. It was only on the 30th minute i realised they had a drum with a song that started with it, they were that load cause everyone was singing you couldnt even here it. It later turned out they had 3 drums... im just getting at, i know not everyone wants to sing and thats fair enough, but id love to have the full ground singing and then maybe the drum would get drowned out or maybe to the point we dont even need it? Instead of going the opposite way of removing it, which at the moment seems to have a positive effect e.g. everton, chesterfield.

Samuel Elliot James It doesn't matter if we have a drum or not , I mean if fans aint going to sing then it don't matter how many times you bang the drum does it , fans create the atmosphere not the drum , don't recall having a drum during the 70s 80s of standing in the corner of the chaddy end singing our hearts out , but if you need a drum these days to create an atmosphere then so be it , to me I don't care either way , the athleticos are doing a great job keep it up guys

Ryan Green Agree Samuel, although unfortunately the atmosphere in football stadiums has declined massively since the 70/80s. If everyone sang like they do abroad maybe you wouldnt hear the drum as much?
I visited frankfurt at the beginning of this month, stood right next to their ultras, it was only until the 30th minute where they did a song that started with a drum that i realised they even had one. I only realised afterwards they had 3 with them!

Geoff Chippy Wood Vuvezelas next week. That’ll piss the miserable gets off ?

Lisa Bones Blore TWATS

Kevin Birkett They best go buy some ear defenders or find another seat away from the drum if they dont like it.?

Denise Howlings Exactly

William Heap Ignore them Ryan I'm nearly 63 and I think you do a fantastic job see you in the rocky road Saturday ?

Samuel Oldham Wright This is kinda society in general, they have a problem which they have encountered of a drum being close to them and it being really loud. So they move, which fixes the matter as it is no longer really loud for them. However, they then have to go on and fucking moan. Boring boring boring boring boring ??Class what you do Ryan just ignore them, we’re all with you!

5 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Looks like the drummer has seen the thread...

Ryan Green‎ to Oldham Athletic supporters group real fans

Is it any wonder why some people dont turn up, i wouldnt if i had to sit next to these miserable lot. ?

Juel Miah Subhan No wonder German and other leagues miles ahead of us.. Without fans there’s nothing..

Ryan Green I mean even clubs in Malaysia are miles ahead of us! Maybe if everyone sung you wouldnt hear the drum ?

John Wild Miserable gets .

Juel Miah Subhan Absolutely joke..

Callum Tyler Glossop What would we do if we didn’t have the drum.. it would be like a Library

Peter Oneill They are quite right Ryan.
God forbid you try to create an atmosphere or get behind the team. After all we are overflowing with fans who sing their hearts out and hardly ever moan about the club or team.
Sod em - you and the Athleticos are a breath of fresh air so keep up the good work. You all make a difference - and the players show that at the end of each game.

Col Moore What a fanny - stick with it our kid it generates a good atmosphere and I am sure the players appreciate it even if one or two pussies in the crowd do not.

Terry T-dog Whaley Plain fucking arseholes

That's all they are

Lets sit there in silence and say fuck all then

Fuck off down to that bastard museum old trafford or to city

We can do without these absolute fuckwits

Amanda Jane Maybe we could have a designated quiet stand ?? bit like the quiet carriage on trains. They can all sit there with their fingers on their lips! Miserable lot!

Ryan Green Hmm... im sure ive heard of that idea before... im sure its called project Etihad ?

John Wild Simple don't come . Won't be missed.

Denise Howlings Fgs sake no drum no atmosphere, get a life you miserable sods

Penny Marie Garforth Love the Drum. Boring barstools. All part of the atmosphere. Yes it's loud but it brings fun and I think boosts the players moral. Bang it harder tomorrow lol. ??????????

Jenny Jones-Key Ignore them. They dont deserve a football club.
Keep up the fab work the amtosphere so much better.

Bob Oafc Isaacs I think I learn to play the trumpet and Join you Ryan

Mike Holden It's ironic that people think that the atmosphere in Germany & other countries is ahead us when they admired us in the past because we didn't try to manufacture an atmosphere like they do with drums, megaphones, 'ultras' etc imo if you need a drum for every single song that's sang (always to fast by the way) then the atmosphere is fucked anyway! No offence to anyone who thinks that constant banging actually provides any atmosphere ?

Ryan Green Very true Mike, but at the moment with the atmosphere being manufactured as you say then what are we left with? Atleast in Places like Germany and all over the world if everyone inbraced it then maybe we can get back to the old days where it is just spotanious full stadium singing. At the moment you arnt able to create that type of atmosphere without the encourament of an Ultras style. Atleast the ultras movement is proven.

Unfortunately the old english atmosphere is just not possible with fans nowadays.

To me aslong as everyone is singing and getting behind the team and not booing it doesnt matter which way its done

Mike Holden But Ryan as seen in the original post and it's not the first time. Many are put off by the drum. I'd guess it's also one of the reason the 'athleticos' are seated in the far corner of the stand. Leave the drum for a few weeks and sing your hearts out and idbet you'll find more people willing to join in. Especially if you all sit more central.

Ryan Green Unfortunately were in that corner cause its the only way we'd be allowed a block where we could all stand without the trouble we used to get in the rre about 5 years ago. Ill discuss with the group and see what they think about a trial, im open to trying it all although id prefer not too but we all have our own opinions haha

Tbh though like i put on a post below. I went to a frankfurt match at the beginning of this month and stood right in the middle of the ultras. It was only on the 30th minute i realised they had a drum with a song that started with it, they were that load cause everyone was singing you couldnt even here it. It later turned out they had 3 drums... im just getting at, i know not everyone wants to sing and thats fair enough, but id love to have the full ground singing and then maybe the drum would get drowned out or maybe to the point we dont even need it? Instead of going the opposite way of removing it, which at the moment seems to have a positive effect e.g. everton, chesterfield.

Samuel Elliot James It doesn't matter if we have a drum or not , I mean if fans aint going to sing then it don't matter how many times you bang the drum does it , fans create the atmosphere not the drum , don't recall having a drum during the 70s 80s of standing in the corner of the chaddy end singing our hearts out , but if you need a drum these days to create an atmosphere then so be it , to me I don't care either way , the athleticos are doing a great job keep it up guys

Ryan Green Agree Samuel, although unfortunately the atmosphere in football stadiums has declined massively since the 70/80s. If everyone sang like they do abroad maybe you wouldnt hear the drum as much?
I visited frankfurt at the beginning of this month, stood right next to their ultras, it was only until the 30th minute where they did a song that started with a drum that i realised they even had one. I only realised afterwards they had 3 with them!

Geoff Chippy Wood Vuvezelas next week. That’ll piss the miserable gets off ?

Lisa Bones Blore TWATS

Kevin Birkett They best go buy some ear defenders or find another seat away from the drum if they dont like it.?

Denise Howlings Exactly

William Heap Ignore them Ryan I'm nearly 63 and I think you do a fantastic job see you in the rocky road Saturday ?

Samuel Oldham Wright This is kinda society in general, they have a problem which they have encountered of a drum being close to them and it being really loud. So they move, which fixes the matter as it is no longer really loud for them. However, they then have to go on and fucking moan. Boring boring boring boring boring ??Class what you do Ryan just ignore them, we’re all with you!

Clearly nobody on there has bothered reading my initial post, or the balanced views of officials from Shrewsbury.  I accept the drum.  Just not it's overuse.

And after struggling up the steps at Plymouth to get a decent vantage point out of the rain, I wasn't really fit enough to move myself further away for the turgid incessant beating that thing was getting.  And I wasn't exactly close to it anyway.

And for those who say I shouldn't attend because I've made what I see as a genuinely reasonable request, give it time.  The cancer that limits my mobility will stop me getting to games sooner or later.  I doubt I'll see 2019.

There's a middle ground.  At the moment the drumming is totally selfish.

I don’t have an issue with the drum per se. Just the gobshites surrounding it who profess to be such loyal supporters and then chant abuse against the team and fellow fans. It’s counter-productive and exactly the opposite of their claim to be “loyal supporters”. 

26 minutes ago, maddog said:

I don’t have an issue with the drum per se. Just the gobshites surrounding it who profess to be such loyal supporters and then chant abuse against the team and fellow fans. It’s counter-productive and exactly the opposite of their claim to be “loyal supporters”. 

Pretty much where I’m at. The little wankers have killed ‘Oh When The Blues’ which is unforgivable for a start.

Then the little hard nut that gets his top off gets on my wick how he struts around the RRE all game like he runs the gaff...not even watching the bloody game. 

Aside from that I haven’t got an issue with them. ?

1 minute ago, oafc_lover said:

Pretty much where I’m at. The little wankers have killed ‘Oh When The Blues’ which is unforgivable for a start.

Then the little hard nut that gets his top off gets on my wick how he struts around the RRE all game like he runs the gaff...not even watching the bloody game. 

Aside from that I haven’t got an issue with them. ?

About 10 stone wet through yet acts like he’s 10 men... you’d have thought getting knocked out at the youth game with Romulus last season would have taught him to wind his neck in a bit but Portsmouth seems to suggest not 

2 hours ago, opinions4u said:

Clearly nobody on there has bothered reading my initial post, or the balanced views of officials from Shrewsbury.  I accept the drum.  Just not it's overuse.

And after struggling up the steps at Plymouth to get a decent vantage point out of the rain, I wasn't really fit enough to move myself further away for the turgid incessant beating that thing was getting.  And I wasn't exactly close to it anyway.

And for those who say I shouldn't attend because I've made what I see as a genuinely reasonable request, give it time.  The cancer that limits my mobility will stop me getting to games sooner or later.  I doubt I'll see 2019.

If I could give this more than one upboat I would. 

2 hours ago, opinions4u said:

I genuinely hope you see 2019 and beyond... and without the drum! Best wishes to you 

1 hour ago, Laticfanatic1 said:

People who are moaning on here about the drum and George are a bunch of sad fucks. Embarrassing thread. These lads go week in week out, they bring the atmosphere to games.

Embarrasing thread?  It's a light hearted request to ease up a little.  Not a suggestion to bring in the firing squad and mow you all down.

I go week in, week out.  I've paid for 24 season tickets in twelve seasons and also raised money for te club via PlayerShare.

Atmosphere is great when it happens.  Incessant drumming isn't atmosphere.  It's tedious, repetitive and Neanderthal.

Drumming is OK by me.  Just tone it the fuck down.  Bang the skin a little less often, be a little more subtle with it.  Retire the thing until the next match if the game is well and truly lost.

Your expression of selfish intolerance doesn't show you in a good light.  Compromise a bit.

9 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

Embarrasing thread?  It's a light hearted request to ease up a little.  Not a suggestion to bring in the firing squad and mow you all down.

I go week in, week out.  I've paid for 24 season tickets in twelve seasons and also raised money for te club via PlayerShare.

Atmosphere is great when it happens.  Incessant drumming isn't atmosphere.  It's tedious, repetitive and Neanderthal.

Drumming is OK by me.  Just tone it the fuck down.  Bang the skin a little less often, be a little more subtle with it.  Retire the thing until the next match if the game is well and truly lost.

Your expression of selfish intolerance doesn't show you in a good light.  Compromise a bit.

I’m going to run out of upboats at this rate.

I went to a Dortmund game and stood with the Wolfsburg fans a few years ago. Fucking ridiculous amount of noise and atmosphere. Did they need a drum to start singing? Nah. Just sang. Sounded better with them singing and no stupid woodpecker sounding drummer hammering away. The drum isn't needed to get the fans going.

Take the hated boards pitchside. Come on Oldham flashes up when we get a corner. Used to happen on old scoreboard years ago. That gets fans going. Take that momentum and get a song like oh when the blues going off the back of it. People will likely join in because they're already chanting. Drum not required

Bring the drum. Start off chants/songs. Stop playing and allow the voices to be heard. If needed do a few beats to keep the tempo going. Then stop playing it again. Simple as.

Some chants need the drum to get going and it can help...but 90% of the time the thing just drains any atmosphere. Most chants sound far better without it.

I have no doubts the lad is a nice guy and I’m sure he’s reasonable but it sometimes comes across like he is just interested in being centre of attention and doesn’t have a clue how to actually play the thing.

As a professional musician myself I am more than happy to give him some pointers that would keep him on the right road.