Little Drummer Boy

13 hours ago, Laticfanatic1 said:

People who are moaning on here about the drum and George are a bunch of sad fucks. Embarrassing thread. These lads go week in week out, they bring the atmosphere to games.

Don’t they come across far more Millennial than Generation Z?

Interesting.... 

No? 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a retired drummer myself, I don't mind the incessant beat but fully understand the sentiments of those who do not. I think the lad in question needs to learn when to and when not to. My guests at the Fleetwood match didn't mind it but whether or not they could stick it game in, game out, I am not so sure. :D 

On 30/12/2017 at 2:25 PM, Wardie said:

As a retired drummer myself, I don't mind the incessant beat but fully understand the sentiments of those who do not. I think the lad in question needs to learn when to and when not to. My guests at the Fleetwood match didn't mind it but whether or not they could stick it game in, game out, I am not so sure. :D 

I sat the closest i have ever done to the drum at donny the other week. It didnt annoy me too much but i was interested in his interpretation of  the word beat. Is it Bryan Devendorf from the National?

Edited by astottie

On 29/12/2017 at 6:33 PM, oafcmetty said:

Looks like the drummer has seen the thread...

Ryan Green‎ to Oldham Athletic supporters group real fans

Is it any wonder why some people dont turn up, i wouldnt if i had to sit next to these miserable lot. ?

Juel Miah Subhan No wonder German and other leagues miles ahead of us.. Without fans there’s nothing..

Ryan Green I mean even clubs in Malaysia are miles ahead of us! Maybe if everyone sung you wouldnt hear the drum ?

John Wild Miserable gets .

Juel Miah Subhan Absolutely joke..

Callum Tyler Glossop What would we do if we didn’t have the drum.. it would be like a Library

Peter Oneill They are quite right Ryan.
God forbid you try to create an atmosphere or get behind the team. After all we are overflowing with fans who sing their hearts out and hardly ever moan about the club or team.
Sod em - you and the Athleticos are a breath of fresh air so keep up the good work. You all make a difference - and the players show that at the end of each game.

Col Moore What a fanny - stick with it our kid it generates a good atmosphere and I am sure the players appreciate it even if one or two pussies in the crowd do not.

Terry T-dog Whaley Plain fucking arseholes

That's all they are

Lets sit there in silence and say fuck all then

Fuck off down to that bastard museum old trafford or to city

We can do without these absolute fuckwits

Amanda Jane Maybe we could have a designated quiet stand ?? bit like the quiet carriage on trains. They can all sit there with their fingers on their lips! Miserable lot!

Ryan Green Hmm... im sure ive heard of that idea before... im sure its called project Etihad ?

John Wild Simple don't come . Won't be missed.

Denise Howlings Fgs sake no drum no atmosphere, get a life you miserable sods

Penny Marie Garforth Love the Drum. Boring barstools. All part of the atmosphere. Yes it's loud but it brings fun and I think boosts the players moral. Bang it harder tomorrow lol. ??????????

Jenny Jones-Key Ignore them. They dont deserve a football club.
Keep up the fab work the amtosphere so much better.

Bob Oafc Isaacs I think I learn to play the trumpet and Join you Ryan

Mike Holden It's ironic that people think that the atmosphere in Germany & other countries is ahead us when they admired us in the past because we didn't try to manufacture an atmosphere like they do with drums, megaphones, 'ultras' etc imo if you need a drum for every single song that's sang (always to fast by the way) then the atmosphere is fucked anyway! No offence to anyone who thinks that constant banging actually provides any atmosphere ?

Ryan Green Very true Mike, but at the moment with the atmosphere being manufactured as you say then what are we left with? Atleast in Places like Germany and all over the world if everyone inbraced it then maybe we can get back to the old days where it is just spotanious full stadium singing. At the moment you arnt able to create that type of atmosphere without the encourament of an Ultras style. Atleast the ultras movement is proven.

Unfortunately the old english atmosphere is just not possible with fans nowadays.

To me aslong as everyone is singing and getting behind the team and not booing it doesnt matter which way its done

Mike Holden But Ryan as seen in the original post and it's not the first time. Many are put off by the drum. I'd guess it's also one of the reason the 'athleticos' are seated in the far corner of the stand. Leave the drum for a few weeks and sing your hearts out and idbet you'll find more people willing to join in. Especially if you all sit more central.

Ryan Green Unfortunately were in that corner cause its the only way we'd be allowed a block where we could all stand without the trouble we used to get in the rre about 5 years ago. Ill discuss with the group and see what they think about a trial, im open to trying it all although id prefer not too but we all have our own opinions haha

Tbh though like i put on a post below. I went to a frankfurt match at the beginning of this month and stood right in the middle of the ultras. It was only on the 30th minute i realised they had a drum with a song that started with it, they were that load cause everyone was singing you couldnt even here it. It later turned out they had 3 drums... im just getting at, i know not everyone wants to sing and thats fair enough, but id love to have the full ground singing and then maybe the drum would get drowned out or maybe to the point we dont even need it? Instead of going the opposite way of removing it, which at the moment seems to have a positive effect e.g. everton, chesterfield.

Samuel Elliot James It doesn't matter if we have a drum or not , I mean if fans aint going to sing then it don't matter how many times you bang the drum does it , fans create the atmosphere not the drum , don't recall having a drum during the 70s 80s of standing in the corner of the chaddy end singing our hearts out , but if you need a drum these days to create an atmosphere then so be it , to me I don't care either way , the athleticos are doing a great job keep it up guys

Ryan Green Agree Samuel, although unfortunately the atmosphere in football stadiums has declined massively since the 70/80s. If everyone sang like they do abroad maybe you wouldnt hear the drum as much?
I visited frankfurt at the beginning of this month, stood right next to their ultras, it was only until the 30th minute where they did a song that started with a drum that i realised they even had one. I only realised afterwards they had 3 with them!

Geoff Chippy Wood Vuvezelas next week. That’ll piss the miserable gets off ?

Lisa Bones Blore TWATS

Kevin Birkett They best go buy some ear defenders or find another seat away from the drum if they dont like it.?

Denise Howlings Exactly

William Heap Ignore them Ryan I'm nearly 63 and I think you do a fantastic job see you in the rocky road Saturday ?

Samuel Oldham Wright This is kinda society in general, they have a problem which they have encountered of a drum being close to them and it being really loud. So they move, which fixes the matter as it is no longer really loud for them. However, they then have to go on and fucking moan. Boring boring boring boring boring ??Class what you do Ryan just ignore them, we’re all with you!

Echo chamber.

The drum and the ultras thing needs to go. It clearly hasn’t worked. The atmosphere is no different to what it used to be - it’s less inclusive and plain irritating too. I’m somebody who welcomed it in the first place as well

Now you look at the thread on Facebook and it’s clearly just an ego trip for those involved. It’s sad really because what was something that was supposed to bring fans together has resulted in ostracising people and some weird ‘I’m a real fan and you’re not’ complex

3 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Away games it certainly has in the last couple of years. Bland chants and divided clusters of fans who want to get away from the drum

Grown men, manly men, with deep manly voices who used to sing loud, manly songs loudly in a manly fashion with the ebb and flow of the game don't bother so much anymore with the drum led perma dirge going on in the background. 

7 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Grown men, manly men, with deep manly voices who used to sing loud, manly songs loudly in a manly fashion with the ebb and flow of the game don't bother so much anymore with the drum led perma dirge going on in the background. 

And that.

18 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Away games it certainly has in the last couple of years. Bland chants and divided clusters of fans who want to get away from the drum

Last couple of away games for me have been taintee by younger lads who clearly can't handle their booze.... I take a young relative and he has felt intimidated at times as they stand waving their arms in front of him from the next seat... 

Im all for atmoaphere... Im all for songs and im all for having a couple and enjoying it but in the last 3 to 4 years, away games are much less enjoyable

1 hour ago, Fruitygoo said:

Im all for atmoaphere... Im all for songs and im all for having a couple and enjoying it but in the last 3 to 4 years, away games are much less enjoyable

Lots of “dickheads day out” away days coming up too. 4/5 away games in Feb/March are Bastards, Buckets, Fail and Plastics. 

1 hour ago, Fruitygoo said:

Nah I can't agree with you there, been some cracking days out in the last few years.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

The grown men at Palace don't seem to get all embarrassed by singing along with a drum, I understand the point your making as ten blokes in the North Stand can generally make more racket than the Capo led brigade in the RRE but some fans seem to get all vain and conscious at home matches yet you can't shut them up on an away day, I still think we do okay all things considered especially when you go to grounds like Wimbledon where I don't think they sing a single song all game.

On 02/01/2018 at 7:01 AM, rudemedic said:

Lots of “dickheads day out” away days coming up too. 4/5 away games in Feb/March are Bastards, Buckets, Fail and Plastics. 

For those not living within 1000 miles of a Manchester /Lanacashire  school of street cred could someone please translate / confirm

Bastards - Blackburn ( traditional)

Buckets  -  Bury?

Fail -  ???

Plastics -  Wigan?

and I often read a reference to bin dippers so which team is that?

1 hour ago, Stagger Lee said:

For those not living within 1000 miles of a Manchester /Lanacashire  school of street cred could someone please translate / confirm

Buckets  -  Bury?

Fail -  ???

Plastics -  Wigan?

Fail = Dale ?

1 hour ago, Stagger Lee said:

Buckets  -  Bury?

Fail -  ???

Plastics -  Wigan?

Buckets- Bury Bucket Shakers 

Fail - Rochdale (one of the nicer nicknames)

Plastics is Wigan 

Bindippers- Tranmere 

You know officially in the know

Word to yo momma

On 03/01/2018 at 7:37 AM, wroteforluck87 said:

Buckets- Bury Bucket Shakers 

Fail - Rochdale (one of the nicer nicknames)

Plastics is Wigan 

Bindippers- Tranmere 

You know officially in the know

Word to yo momma

cant believe youve missed off 

Lashers as in donkey lashers from blackpool