• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul jewel has nothing to do with the down turn, it’s ridiculous to even suggest it. Say it was true? Why would wellens continue to do what ever it is he is doing differently? The simple fact is before he came wins we’re turning draws and now draws are turning into losses. Wellens have the club a lift like new managers always do, that has now wore off and he is starting to make bad tactical and bad team selections. We are also starting to get the usual excuses we seen from managers. I can’t see him being here much longer if this run keep on going.

12th of January is fast approaching and we know what that means.

It is difficult to criticise selection when we never know the full story.  Who has been unwell.  Who is carrying an injury.  It is easier to criticise the tactics and shape but then again players don't always do what they have been told and as there is another team out there we might not be able to do what was planned.

What is much easier is to look at where is we are now after the last four games and without doubt a promising recovery has been thrown away because whatever the selection, shape or tactics were we have started gifting goals to the other team.  Even Johny who was magnificent has started making mistakes - he might have saved the goal yesterday but the mistakes and gifting were made before he had the chance.

Momentum is everything - look what we have done for Plymouth.  We are now where we have been for the last two years and that is in a relegation battle.  Wellens said he would take it five games at a time - 2 points from 5 is not very good.  Something has changed and it isn't just the Doyle 'illness'.

Edited by Hands on

12 hours ago, Wardie said:

The horrendous start [10 games] has severely handicapped the points tally but then again, without that horrendous start we not be sat here discussing the current situation. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

One stat matters chap.

We have had doyle for most of the season and lie 20th. If reliant on him to the extent you claim then chances are we would fall short in 9 seasons out of ten. Doyle has a shit game - we don't win. Doyle is injured - we don't win. You simply cannot expect to reach the playoffs if it depends so much on one player. 

Yes with him in the team we have looked significantly better and very capable but before the dale game I don't think we had won a match by more than one (I may be wrong on that). 

I'd put us 9th - 12th if Doyle played 40 out of 46 games (a realistic expectation) and bagged say 22 goals. Look at our defence man. 

Now we a decent defence and a replacement for Byrne things may change. 

We've been gifting goals since day one of the season so why people are raising that as the issue now is a little strange, one thing that's changed is our approach, sandwiched in between Shez start and Wellens currently we had a go for a dozen or so games, I know Doyle is a huge miss but our whole mindset and approach to games has changed we've gone from passing teams of the park at times to route one hoofball.

Wellens seems to have gone from a man with nothing to lose setting a team up to play in a cavalier carefree way to setting up a cautious safety first side, it reminds of when Dickov and then LJ did similar when they lost their first games in charge, is he over thinking it and over complicating it for the players? Has the dynamic on the coaching front changed? Are Terry and Jewell planting seeds and making Richie doubt himself? Who knows but we need to recapture that spirit and endeavour from when he first took over and get the season back on track.

3 hours ago, latics22 said:

Paul jewel has nothing to do with the down turn, it’s ridiculous to even suggest it.

Surely it's just as ridiculous to say he definitely hasn't as it is to say he definitely has? 

You know as little as those who are adamant it's all his fault. 

My take on yesterday are as follows  ( i do not go to every game so any obvious mistakes apologies in advance )

1 st half very disjointed huge gap from midfield to upfront as a consequence of Davies getting  support quick enough from midfield ( dont think he holds the ball up well enough which is one of key roles as a forward ) the ball just comes straight back, also midfield not offering effective cover for the deference and were knocked of the ball to easily they appear to be reacting as apposed to anticipating.   

Wide players did not do enough to easily knocked of the ball quality of crosses not good enough.

Goalkeeper was at fault for the goal that should of been parried away from goal he did similar about ten minutes later which we were lucky not to conceded again, he wants to look fancy instead of being solid absolutely no comparison to him & Ripley cannot believe he is not being questioned more.

When JP played out from the back when we made errors because if you play this style the whole team has to show and give options only 2 or 3 did hence losing possession in dangerous positions ( not well drilled in the training pitch / not playing as a team )

2 nd half was a lot better midfield competed better out wide again we are invariably crossing from outside the box which has to have pin point accuracy as apposed to getting to the touch line were the margin for crossing are far better.

We still did not work the keeper for all the possession which is a worry.

Shrewsbury were incredibly well drilled started time wasting at the start of the 2nd half every player knew they   role within the TEAM it would be interesting to know stats in terms of run distance between their players and ours?

In terms of RW i do believe this team should be producing more and be better drilled so will be an interesting transfer window to see who goes and more importantly who he brings in we cannot keep sacking managers though we need some continuity at the club.

Out of interest what did RW say when he came right up to our fans he looked animated not at our fans like he was promising something?

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Several managers with several different squads!

Shrewsbury seem to have hit on the idea of signing players showing a desire to win ever game rather than go through the motions. I have a feeling RW will want rid if the slackers and bring in players with the mentality he had when playing. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Shrewsbury seem to have hit on the idea of signing players showing a desire to win ever game rather than go through the motions. I have a feeling RW will want rid if the slackers and bring in players with the mentality he had when playing. 

I'm not sure who these players are that Shrewsbury brought in but how can any manager know if any given player is going to consistently display the desire to win? It's simply not possible as there are too many factors at play. Squad building slowly and carefully is probably the only way forward and for Latics to achieve that level of consistency, the manager needs to be in place and supported by fans and club in the long-term. 

I keep banging on about this...and I apologise...but the social media aspect of sport in general has changed the fans' perceptions of what is relevant to their enjoyment or disgruntlement with the game. Venting anger on Twitter and social forums is only going to exacerbate frustration and knee-jerk reactions, which could in turn cause damage elsewhere...namely the clubs themselves. It is all spiralling out of control, in my opinion...for what that is worth.

56 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I'm not sure who these players are that Shrewsbury brought in but how can any manager know if any given player is going to consistently display the desire to win? It's simply not possible as there are too many factors at play. Squad building slowly and carefully is probably the only way forward and for Latics to achieve that level of consistency, the manager needs to be in place and supported by fans and club in the long-term. 

I keep banging on about this...and I apologise...but the social media aspect of sport in general has changed the fans' perceptions of what is relevant to their enjoyment or disgruntlement with the game. Venting anger on Twitter and social forums is only going to exacerbate frustration and knee-jerk reactions, which could in turn cause damage elsewhere...namely the clubs themselves. It is all spiralling out of control, in my opinion...for what that is worth.

Knee jerk reactions are common to fans and managers.

Disgruntlement is bound to occur on forums like this when things aren't going well, its unrealistic to expect any different.

Despite the contrasting opinions one thing in common is we all want to see our team do better.

Edited by BP1960

48 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

People seem to think that Shrewsbury have some novel idea that they slowly build a squad and that's why they're in the position they're in. It's not. 

You are right it's a simple idea, but effective when everyone is on the same wavelength.

Just now, BP1960 said:

The manager takes credit then for shaping a team in the image he sees.

And we need to give Wellens time to do that and bring his own in. One player same from the 3-2 defeat at home last season to the starting 11 that beat us yesterday. They've a brand new side

4 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

And we need to give Wellens time to do that and bring his own in. One player same from the 3-2 defeat at home last season to the starting 11 that beat us yesterday. They've a brand new side

I'll second that.

12 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

That's quite some doing.
Cue the collapse and exodus of players, then.