The Bicker Free Thread

Actually think Corney's done a reasonable job up until the last couple of seasons.

Even though they might have turned out to be wrong, I could see the thinking behind a lot of the decisions he's made over the years.

He's obviously wanted out for a while, which was fine, but once that factor was combined with visits from the tax man and staff and players not being paid on time, an increasingly desperate situation has developed.

Would like to think he's always tried to do his best by the club, but it's come to the point now that both the TTA and the club need to go their separate ways.  Wish Corney all the best, though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Assuming it does happen, what is the one thing you would like to see Abdallah change/do, leaving aside the obvious buy better players? Reduce ticket prices? Improve the 'match day experience' ?

Honour Jimmy Frizzell properly.

Then get on with the job of improving everything in the club.

28 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Assuming it does happen, what is the one thing you would like to see Abdallah change/do, leaving aside the obvious buy better players? Reduce ticket prices? Improve the 'match day experience' ?

Pay the players and staff on time..

27 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'm looking forward to his first interview, where he enthusiastically lays out his immediate and longer-term plans and tells us how privileged he feels to be custodian of this wonderful money pit club.

33 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Convince deyres42  to withdraw his tongue in cheek question...

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

This isn't going as hoped, I withdraw my question.

That was quick...?

22 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

And those same fans might have returned with the first signs of glory

Feasible I guess but I suspect that the key factor would have been where the ground was. Can't imagine many diehard Latics pitching up to a ground in Bury. Could have attracted a new fanbase perhaps. 

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Feasible I guess but I suspect that the key factor would have been where the ground was. Can't imagine many diehard Latics pitching up to a ground in Bury. Could have attracted a new fanbase perhaps. 

Somewhere like Slattocks towards Pilsworth, obviously it would have had to been equidistant for the 3.

This is very relevant with all 3 clubs being in danger of dropping down to the 4th division and none of them being financially viable in the long term.

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Not just buy better players but bring in some kind of transfer policy whereby we can build through most, if not all, signings being made with an eye to first & foremost improving the team but on the basis that they will develop further and we can get good money for them 1 to 2 years in then invest further. A bit like Lee Johnson was doing. 

Bring an end to the numerous business prevention techniques that have gone on for so long now off the pitch. 

Quickly finish the bar on the top floor. Done right it will make money and should, therefore, be viewed as an investment rather than a cost. 

Pretty much every do in the current smaller room sells out so they're missing out on additional profits there. 

Launch some kind of "Latics Card" offering discounts with local businesses and other perks. 

Fans could volunteer to go door to door to sign people up who the club could then market regularly (not me like, I'm the ideas man)

4 hours ago, JohnnyPimp said:

I'm looking forward to his first interview, where he enthusiastically lays out his immediate and longer-term plans and tells us how privileged he feels to be custodian of this wonderful money pit club.

No, no - I want him to be a shadowy figure who we never hear from Abramovich style. The kom-yoo-ni-kay-shun lads will go mental. It'll be ace. 

45 minutes ago, ottantuno said:

In an idle few moments yesterday I checked out final league one tables for the past twenty years. It was 2008-09 that we last had a season when we won more games than we lost.

Wouldn't it be great just to simply accomplish this?!

Maybe for this season (as it should see us safe) but I unapologetically demand play-offs or better for 2018/19.

17 minutes ago, ottantuno said:

Wouldn't it be great just to simply accomplish this?!

I'd just like our best player to be our player.... and for more than half a season. Imagine keeping a quality sub 30 year old player for 3 seasons or more? Imagine a youth prospect coming through the ranks and securing a place in 1st team for over 2 seasons without being flogged at the 1st sign he could kick a ball? This sort of wild fantasy shouldn't be a wild fantasy at all. It's partially the fault of the modern Bosman era footballer & partially the fault of Premier League clubs hoarding hundreds of players on nonsense wages.... but it's also because our owner(s) have/do not place the football club as their primary concern.....!

Ollie Banks is now ill. Coincidence or faking it?, likewise the waste of money Flynn.

How do you shift players out who are more than happy to pick up a wage knowing full well the next deal won't see them earn what they are currently? My list of players I'd like see moved on, Banks, Flynn, Green, Holloway, Clarke (perm), Omrani, Osei & Fawns

5 minutes ago, Lags said:

Ollie Banks is now ill. Coincidence or faking it?, likewise the waste of money Flynn.

How do you shift players out who are more than happy to pick up a wage knowing full well the next deal won't see them earn what they are currently? My list of players I'd like see moved on, Banks, Flynn, Green, Holloway, Clarke (perm), Omrani, Osei & Fawns

You sometimes have to take a hit on the wages. So if Flynn has 6 months left at £3k/week. We might have to agree to buy him out for £1k/week to let him leave, where the new club is willing to pay him £2k/week.

I doubt Fawns and Osei are on enough to make that worthwhile.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:48 PM, Lags said:

4 down, 4 to go.

I'd rather think Flynn and Holloway would need paying off, the other two could be moved via loans.

6 hours ago, Lags said:

4 down, 4 to go.

I'd rather think Flynn and Holloway would need paying off, the other two could be moved via loans.

3 to go...........get a striker in and move on Holloway. Though I cam see it being Davies given there is interest and a possible small fee