The Bicker Free Thread

Not wholly optimistic given what this forum seems to be descending into (what a shame) but a thread for anyone who wants to debate anything Latics related without name calling, low level abuse and....bickering.  Can it get to the end of a page?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Not wholly optimistic given what this forum seems to be descending into (what a shame) but a thread for anyone who wants to debate anything Latics related without name calling, low level abuse and....bickering.  Can it get to the end of a page?

I totally agree. I'm sick of having to plough through petty squabbles to get to the actual discussion. 

Had the pleasure of meeting Mikejh45 on the way home last night and we discussed exactly the same point. We’re all Latics fans we all have opinions surely just like we do in the pub every Saturday we can consider each other’s points with respect and discuss like adults. Certain posters in here have become caricatures below trolls. If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face in the pub, don’t say it on here?!

Edited by oafcprozac

2 minutes ago, Lags said:

Corney?...discuss

Do you believe he's done wonders or at what point do you think he should have gone if at all?

I don't think he has done wonders by any means, largely due to mistakes and failing to invest in the small stuff that could have made things turn out better.  Things such as basic marketing.  I do not believe he deserves the opprobrium directed at him by some as he could certainly have done worse.  I have no idea if he should have gone at any stage as I have equally no idea of what would have transpired had he done so.

21 minutes ago, Lags said:

Corney?...discuss

Do you believe he's done wonders or at what point do you think he should have gone if at all?

There’s a decent argument to say they should never have been allowed to buy the club. Lots of bad decisions with hindsight, but lots that were questionable from the moment they were made, knocking down the Lookers, moving home fans from the Chaddy. Sacking Ronnie Moore. Selling Tarky’s sell-on clause. All the Brassbank stuff. I could go on.

In many ways the building of the new stand was actually the turning of the tide. It was funded by the football club, but not owned by the football club. Finished late, with actually quite poor facilities, that still isn’t finished. But is part of the reason why the owners can think they can ask for £20 million+ for a football club and all its trimmings, that have been reduced since the landlords took over. Some of our player sales in the last 2 years have been directly caused by the landlords wanting to finance the stand and the associated costs (Tarky's sell-on clause being the prime example) but yet it still isn’t finished.

The point Corney should have probably gone was when the other two decided that they weren’t going to fund the club anymore. He couldn’t afford to run it, but still has to answer to his mates so they could get their money back and more. Staying in this division has always been the break-even mark for me. We have managed that.

11 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

There’s a decent argument to say they should never have been allowed to buy the club. Lots of bad decisions with hindsight, but lots that were questionable from the moment they were made, knocking down the Lookers, moving home fans from the Chaddy. Sacking Ronnie Moore. Selling Tarky’s sell-on clause. All the Brassbank stuff. I could go on.

But I do wonder how much people would have squealed if the Richards clause had been sold.  Once bitten I suspect.

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But I do wonder how much people would have squealed if the Richards clause had been sold.  Once bitten I suspect.

True. It was the sale of it so close to the actual original transfer that is slightly different, why bother if they were going to sell it so quickly. There’s something about that sale helping the funding of a stand that the club don’t own that also leaves a sour taste in the mouth. 

I’ve seen some stuff online about Tarky engineering his move back North too, supposedly for family reasons. 

I think the club wimped out of getting money from City for Richards over his loan-fees. But that’s another issue.

Regarding Corney we don't tend to look favourably on the past too well. Witness the Stott years that got is into dream land of the 1st Division, but the Board is looked upon as one that squandered, under invested and ultimately failed to take a risk.

I think history, and hopefully that starts next week, will show that we stagnated and trod water at best, but were held back by the purse strings being controlled elsewhere, and hopefuly it proves that kept his promise to hand over to someone who takes us forward.

With regards to Corney himself, he didn't help himself sometimes, but that he had the best of intentions. I know not all agree, but I feel he kept his promise to not bail, to do the new stand and ultimately hand over to that somone. He tried his very best. However, if we go on to better things, they may well be looked on as the wasted years.

Like a few of you have said, personally feel he should have handed over with the loss of the two others.

I'll be more restrospective to him than many, but hopefully the new owner means that his legacy is largely an anecdote, but it will define him him one way or the other.

Hopefully, we go onto bigger things, and this was all just a test of who the less fickle fans were!

Edited by singe

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Sounds shit - I'm out 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

True. It was the sale of it so close to the actual original transfer that is slightly different, why bother if they were going to sell it so quickly. There’s something about that sale helping the funding of a stand that the club don’t own that also leaves a sour taste in the mouth. 

I’ve seen some stuff online about Tarky engineering his move back North too, supposedly for family reasons. 

We’ll never know the true reasons for the sale of Tarky’s clause but as you say it was common knowledge on this forum that he was after a move back up north not long after he’d joined Brentford.  Surely the club must have been aware of this too considering Tarky was and still is a frequent visitor to BP.  It was very foolish or naive of Corney to cash out on this bearing in mind he was still under contract and also Brentford do not sell players for peanuts these days.

Edited by johnafoafc

He’s done his best and found us a buyer whilst keeping us in this league. He sold this and that but at the end of the day it all helped keep us in this league. When we have needed players to keep us up, he’s dug deep. I wish him well and thank him for everything, he tried and failed I’m sure he will agree. 

And i agree with singe, most people on this page go to games were the last of the fickle fans we should be proud of ourselves. Hopefully we will be the ones that reap the benifits and can watch our proud old club rise again!

My view is that TTA had the best of intentions when they first came in and improved the club's fortunes following the dark days of administration when Moore left.

We will never know  what would have happened had the original planning application for BP been successful but after it was rejected, things started to head south.

Lots of mistakes were made (largely listed above so I won't repeat them) and by the time Blitz and Gazel departed Corney was out of ideas. The structure of the ownership of club, land, stand etc. meant that the club couldn't possibly become competitive.

The lack of ambition in recent years has done untold damage with the fan base being depleted annually.

For me, it was the Ched Evans fiasco that finally convinced me that the best interests of the club was no longer the main driver for decisions being made. It was something that was always going to cause further split in the fan base. That couldn't possibly be for the best.

I appreciate much of what he has done and I do accept that never having been relegated during Simon's reign is an achievement but I would Rgue that of you never gamble, you'll never lose.

Good luck to him in the future but for the sake of the football club I hope we have a clean break.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

He’s done his best and found us a buyer whilst keeping us in this league. He sold this and that but at the end of the day it all helped keep us in this league. When we have needed players to keep us up, he’s dug deep. I wish him well and thank him for everything, he tried and failed I’m sure he will agree. 

And i agree with singe, most people on this page go to games were the last of the fickle fans we should be proud of ourselves. Hopefully we will be the ones that reap the benifits and can watch our proud old club rise again!

I love you only reason you didn't use the  name shez anywhere in your post congratulations xx

6 hours ago, oafc0000 said:

I think we should of been merged with Bury and Rochdale and formed a super club.....   Discuss.....  B):tongue1:

It would have resulted in the fans of three clubs being pi$$ed off which wouldn't have been very super at all.