Holloway Off?

I've liked Holloway since his first loan spell, he can hold the ball up, plays the pass in front of the man for him to run on to and can play up front on his own or with a partner. He's had most of his Latcs career with us at the wrong end of the table, under several managers chopping and changing the team around him and I don't think he's had a run of 10 games with a steady partner or a settled midfield behind. Most of his chances have been created by himself and had very little supply from midfield just needing him to knock it in.

He's another member of the strikers graveyard at BP but until we work out how to get non-class above strikers (Like Doyle) to score we'll keep adding names to this list.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, beag_teeets said:

I've liked Holloway since his first loan spell, he can hold the ball up, plays the pass in front of the man for him to run on to and can play up front on his own or with a partner. He's had most of his Latcs career with us at the wrong end of the table, under several managers chopping and changing the team around him and I don't think he's had a run of 10 games with a steady partner or a settled midfield behind. Most of his chances have been created by himself and had very little supply from midfield just needing him to knock it in.

He's another member of the strikers graveyard at BP but until we work out how to get non-class above strikers (Like Doyle) to score we'll keep adding names to this list.

Some very true points there and I can see why people like him, he does dangle the carrot of hope, but that's just it....hope.

It's also true whatever club his scoring record is absolute pants. Maybe everywhere he's played it's been tough luck??

He's a good target man and pretty good on the floor, but he doesn't have a strikers instincts. I seem to remember that he was originally a defender and was converted into a striker which may explain this. He is also injury prone and for me should go for the right offer, and get someone in who can score at least 10 goals a season. JCH has plenty of power, but doesn't hold the ball up or acore enough goals. 

Their is a case of getting rid of any player if he is replaced with a better player. I think hes a decent target man I think hes made a good impact of the bench on a couple of occasions.

His big problem is not so much his finishing but his anticipation hes not in a position to score enough and is rarely on the end of a cross or in a position to get a shot away. Hes quite a static player in this respect. Ive actually seen some improvement in this side of his game this season hes looked more like scoring but not enough to say hes more than an impact sub.

Im not encouraging us to push him out the door far from it. But if he has to be sacrificed to bring in Doyle then its a no brainer.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Any suggesting we should sign JCH needs to give their head a wobble. We might as well re-sign Danny Philliskirk while we're at it

I dunno, maybe I just see this takeover as a chance for us to start competing for quality players who usually join better teams. Rather than the shit ones of the same ilk that haven't been good enough for the past half a dozen seasons. 

Edited by PlayItLivo

4 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Any suggesting we should sign JCH needs to give their head a wobble. We might as well re-sign Danny Philliskirk while we're at it

I dunno, maybe I just see this takeover as a chance for us to start competing for quality players who usually join better teams. Rather than the shit ones of the same ilk that haven't been good enough for the past half a dozen seasons. 

Do you not think someone like JCH would be the perfect foil for a player like Doyle? When JCH left he had largely been used as a lone striker and was never given a run of games any striker needs, he also wouldn't be the first player thats improved in the couple of years that we haven't seen him, I bet my bottom dollar most of those writing him off before he starts haven't even seen him in action since he left other than for 10 minutes on Saturday afternoon. If RW brings him in the lad needs supporting not knocking before he's even kicked a bloody ball.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Do you not think someone like JCH would be the perfect foil for a player like Doyle? When JCH left he had largely been used as a lone striker and was never given a run of games any striker needs, he also wouldn't be the first player thats improved in the couple of years that we haven't seen him, I bet my bottom dollar most of those writing him off before he starts haven't even seen him in action since he left other than for 10 minutes on Saturday afternoon. If RW brings him in the lad needs supporting not knocking before he's even kicked a bloody ball.

I think we already have perfect foil for Doyle, and he's in double figures for goals too. 

Wouldn't be fussed about him leaving, which is odd cause I was really pleased when we signed him 12 months ago. He's clearly a talented footballer. He's very good at holding the ball up, and some of his footwork with the ball is tidy. 

But he's a striker, and his instincts just aren't there. He's very rarely in the right position when the ball goes wide. He doesn't get "lucky" breaks like Doyle does, because he's fucking around on the edge of the 18 yard box grappling with a defender. 

I get the feeling that Doyle absolutely loves scoring goals, and Holloway isn't like that. 

Always liked Holloway. Good with the ball and is a match for anyone in the air, unfortunately he just has no knack for scoring goals. His lack of movement in the box is absolutely criminal, he rarely creates chances for himself and as others have mentioned he seems to be more motivated by just jostling with defenders and lacking that extra bit of magic to create chances.

I personally would keep him I think he's better than JCH. He just needs a couple of hours with Tony P. 

5 hours ago, OldHallam said:

Rumours on twitter defender Ryan McLaughlin off to Milwall for 200k unless its his brother and a mistake. says held up due to bad weather and a flight. Could be pure bullshit from @JD_agent mind not somebody I follow. 

Matty Palmer turned down move to Scunny. 

His brother already plays for Millwall doubt they’d pay 200k for their own player.