Holloway Off?

Tough one, depends if the money we get for him would help us get Doyle, don’t think we’d be making a profit on him, decent squad player his hold up play is superb and good player to bring on off the bench when Davies tires, another 2 assists tonight, he’s not a goal scorer but as long as he contributes in other ways then why complain about his goals record ? Strange if we replace him with JCH who is a bit more mobile but similar goals record 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

You’d think Holloway would be the perfect foil for Doyle however as much as I like him as a player, Davies scores regularly and Holloway doesn’t.

TP changed Matt Smiths career, I wish he could do the same with Holloway

You said it yourself...the perfect foil...a contrast in that he assists rather than score.
If he persists in teeing-up Davies to score, then the partnership works.

7 minutes ago, Wardie said:

You said it yourself...the perfect foil...a contrast in that he assists rather than score.
If he persists in teeing-up Davies to score, then the partnership works.

As long as he doesn't win penalties.....

19 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

You’d think Holloway would be the perfect foil for Doyle however as much as I like him as a player, Davies scores regularly and Holloway doesn’t.

TP changed Matt Smiths career, I wish he could do the same with Holloway

Judging by Holloway’s performances when TP was involved a few months ago he’s not doing a bad job of it already.

8 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Is this a bit of a Latics myth? 

He scored twice against Liverpool while Dickov was still manager. It was the Everton cup game where Philliskirk was in charge. 

Philliskirk joined the coaching staff before the Forest game.  Smith was man of the match.  Won't mention the own goal.

I recall an interview with Philliskirk with him saying he'd coached Smith to "get a run on the ball" when crosses come in.  Two minutes into the game against Liverpool he did.  Injury time against Everton he did.

I don't think TP would have picked Iwelumo at Goodison if Smith had been 100% fit.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Matt Smith improved markedly under the guidance of a striker like Philliskirk.

Equally, Gerry Taggart (who left before the Forest game) was a training ground advocate of the looping header.  Simpson at Forest and Wabara against Liverpool were, perhaps, down his influence.

58 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He scored twice against Liverpool while Dickov was still manager. It was the Everton cup game where Philliskirk was in charge. 

Plus Smith had scored goals all the way through his career in Non league

52 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Holloway is a decent footballer who needs to be more selfish if he is going to score goals.

i like the guy and he certainly turned it around last night.

work with him Latics- there is a decent striker in there.

I hear ya dawg !! This is it for me too. He won us that match last night , totally changed the game when he came in. Not the first time ? 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Apparently his Twitter suggests he's not happy with 'da haters' ...

1 hour ago, archiecat said:

Only one way to deal with it,ignore the social media mongs and turn in good performances on a regular basis :D

And do his talking on the pitch instead.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Didn't we sack all of Dickov's staff as a bit of a hint?

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Holloway is a decent footballer who needs to be more selfish if he is going to score goals.

i like the guy and he certainly turned it around last night.

work with him Latics- there is a decent striker in there.

This is were Im at, he has improved under Wellens mainly as an impact player so there seems no reason he can't continue progressing.