Posh Away

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

After guiding us to the fringes of the play-offs before that, if I remember correctly..

We can afford to give a manager time to turn it around if we've got enough points in the bag to avoid relegation.  Not sure if that's the case if we're 22nd, not scoring and conceding goals right, left and centre.

Surely there becomes a point where chopping and changing your manager every six months won’t work, I believe this would be the season. No Sheridan to save us this year.

and to those shouting for Grayson (not sure if on here or on twitter, seen a couple.) Not a chance.

I'm of the opinion that with the addition of a couple of players who play in their correct role then we will be fine. The football yesterday was good in the middle of the park, we moved it easily towards the opposition penalty box but after that we hit a "wall"......Benyu was clueless on the ball and didn't know where to go off the ball.....Tope didn't know whether to stay wide or go to Davies and ended up doing nothing. We have 2 wide players who can do and know the job in Nepomuceno and the Belgian so we should be playing one with the orders to stay wide and cross giving Davies something to attack.

As others have said, we need a LB and a CH......Hunt, for me, has been missed but we need someone in that role or we give Hamer a decent run of games. Who'd have thought at the start of the season that we  would be looking at both Clarke and Gerrard as weak links. Both have their faults, Gerrard is less mobile than Clarke but reads the game better but both are past it. However, the number of corners we put into the far post yesterday were crying out for Clarke to run onto.

When Wellens got the team winning and scoring goals, it was because Doyle stayed close to Davies and both along with midfield players were comfortable in passing the ball around defenders and that is never going to happen with Davies and Holloway up front so we need a forward comfortable with ball at feet to come not another lump.

I think Wellens should start a stupidity fine box starting with Edmundson because that 2nd yellow was the daftest booking for a long time and made it an easy decision for the referee and left us with the proverbial mountain to climb.

18 minutes ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

Surely there becomes a point where chopping and changing your manager every six months won’t work, I believe this would be the season. No Sheridan to save us this year.

and to those shouting for Grayson (not sure if on here or on twitter, seen a couple.) Not a chance.

I'm not saying Wellens isn't up to it, but I think sticking with a manager just for the sake of consistency is a bit of a fallacy.

This season more than ever we need to do whatever it takes to stay up.  If it has to be without RW, then so be it.  Can you imagine if this much-anticipated takeover goes through and we then get relegated?  Now that would be typical Latics...

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Some poor closing down...http://footydeck.com/oldham-athletic

Poor closing down for the first goal.

Edmundson pulling back the Posh player when Bryan was in position to block was plain stupid

The penalty was very soft

Gardner was unlucky with his shot that hit the post but really he should be scoring that one

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Unbelievable that the player stayed on the pitch - especially given the position of the referee ?

Because that happened in the first few minutes he was never going to get sent off. It is often like that in our division - players know they can take out an opposition playmaker In the first moments of the game and the refs are just to scared to produce the red card.

33 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Some poor closing down...http://footydeck.com/oldham-athletic

Seen this occur in a number of games now regardless of ability this should be being addresses on the training ground, especially in our final third their seems a lack of urgency/ desire to close down no excuse this is not addressed by manager & coaches.

7 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Seen this occur in a number of games now regardless of ability this should be being addresses on the training ground, especially in our final third their seems a lack of urgency/ desire to close down no excuse this is not addressed by manager & coaches.

There was a massive gap straight down the middle three or four times yesterday just in the first half.  

32 minutes ago, OLDHAM MUMPS said:

Because that happened in the first few minutes he was never going to get sent off. It is often like that in our division - players know they can take out an opposition playmaker In the first moments of the game and the refs are just to scared to produce the red card.

It was on Brian Wilson. Hardly our playmaker...

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I do not think Johnson had a run that bad with us. He had terrible runs at both Barnsley and Bristol, but don't think he did with us...

Three times we went 6 without a win, but that's not that bad for OAFC.

14 hours ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

Can’t believe the amount of fickle fans we have. Yes, it’s a very bad run, yes it’s a little concerning to EVERYONE involved, including the manager, but, calling for his is downright ridiculous.

I understood it under David Dunn and Steve Robinson. The football was, in a word, shite. There were little signs of promise and I don’t think even the managers believed they could do it.

Whilst Wellens persona has changed slightly to questioning himself and his players, he is adament in wanting to form a team that follows his “philosophy” (Hate the cliche, but probably necessary here.) We’re playing good football and it’s clear that players want to come and play for him. (Byrne and Bryan signing are a key sign of this.)

We HAVE to give him the time to get this into place. I am a firm believer that we will survive this season, quite comfortably too. With a striker incoming, hopefully sooner rather than later, we should be capitalising more in these games, especially if it is someone in the Doyle ilk, who will drag defenders around and open up space for the midfield to operate.

I’ve probably rambled on a little bit, but I geninely feel passionate on this subject at the moment. It’s the first season in years (Shez’s masterclasses apart) where I have looked forward to the next game coming round, home or away.

In Wellens I trust, and I believe you all should too.

You could have made all those excellent points without pretending people are calling for his head. 

4 hours ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

It doesn't really matter. It's the chopping and changing of so many of the players every season and the constant instability & state of flux that's the problem. 

Sadly, under such circumstances, & if it continues, replacing Wellens to benefit from new manager bounce might be the only way to save us again. That's no slight on Wellens. 

For years now pretty much the only spells of decent form we've had have been right after replacing a manager who's been "failing" after a few months in the job having been dealt a shit hand by Corney - RW replacing Shez being a prime example....

Even though it's been to remedy a shit situation of his own making every time Corney has always achieved safety for us when he's done it - it scares me a bit that it might not be him appointing our saviour this time :lol: He's good at that. 

57 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It doesn't really matter. It's the chopping and changing of so many of the players every season and the constant instability & state of flux that's the problem. 

Sadly, under such circumstances, & if it continues, replacing Wellens to benefit from new manager bounce might be the only way to save us again. That's no slight on Wellens. 

For years now pretty much the only spells of decent form we've had have been right after replacing a manager who's been "failing" after a few months in the job having been dealt a shit hand by Corney - RW replacing Shez being a prime example....

Even though it's been to remedy a shit situation of his own making every time Corney has always achieved safety for us when he's done it - it scares me a bit that it might not be him appointing our saviour this time :lol: He's good at that. 

But then the new guy eventually wants his own players in. So all change again. 

At some point we have to ride out a bad run, back the manager and build for the future. I like how Wellens goes about things, his “football philosophy” ? is one that should bring fans back and he has a genuine affection for the club. If we’re going to stick by anyone he seems like the right fit. 

Edited by nzlatic