Posh Away

33 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Must have been all down to him then ? I wasn’t at the game Harry , but even if he didn’t play well , do we just ignore all the other games where he’s IMO been immense. 

He's been immense (and I agree he has) during a run of poor results though.

He might well continue to be immense but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try different systems/tactics if that's the right thing to do. 

I'm not saying it is, just "putting it out there" as they say.... 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I don't want Fane to go anywhere, he's great at what he does and I'm a huge fan of his. However,....... 

I'd like us to see if starting a few games without a holding midfielder might produce better results. 

He's unlikely to be involved in creating or scoring a goal at this stage in his progress. 

Having an extra player who might (whilst also being able to tackle & break up play a bit) is surely worth a go? 

I'd like us to have the players to play several different ways once Abdallah has been here a while. 

Cant see any logic in not playing with a defensive midfielder when we are already conceding too many goals infact not playing one would be foolish.

It doesnt matter if hes not going to score or create he does a job breaking up play. Thats all he has to do its upto the more attack minded players to do their jobs of creating and scoring something which they have stopped doing in recent weeks.

Well I am happy to put this out. If we continue with Fane in the side we will continue to struggle. He is simply not good enough at basically anything and no, I do not base this on just one game. It must break Wellens heart to see a player playing in his old position be so technically inept and what Byrne and Bryan must think God only knows.

Tell me has he ever looked like scoring a goal? People have been joking on here about his attempts at goal-he plays in midfield and as such is expected to pose some sort of threat. Does he ever head the ball-he is 6 ft something. Can he pass a ball-people post about how his passing is improving-yes but from what sort of base line? Yes he seems to have an engine but so what if you cannot do something with a ball.

We have several posters on here who have done scouting and have worked for league clubs-be interested to know what they think of him as a player?

36 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Well I am happy to put this out. If we continue with Fane in the side we will continue to struggle. He is simply not good enough at basically anything and no, I do not base this on just one game. It must break Wellens heart to see a player playing in his old position be so technically inept and what Byrne and Bryan must think God only knows.

Tell me has he ever looked like scoring a goal? People have been joking on here about his attempts at goal-he plays in midfield and as such is expected to pose some sort of threat. Does he ever head the ball-he is 6 ft something. Can he pass a ball-people post about how his passing is improving-yes but from what sort of base line? Yes he seems to have an engine but so what if you cannot do something with a ball.

We have several posters on here who have done scouting and have worked for league clubs-be interested to know what they think of him as a player?

Bravo. The acceptance of Fane as anything other than a squad player just illustrates how far the club has fallen and how shite this league actually is.

He struggles to pass water. :ass1:

My views on Fane have been documented on here so I won't repeat them. 

He has played well when playing with Byrne, Gardner and AN Other. However, his lack of footballing ability for a midfielder is a weak point for the side. Teams will cotton on, if they haven't already done so, and let him pass the ball to marked men.  I don't think it was a coincidence that our recent poor run has been with Fane in the side but not Byrne and that's not all down to Byrne. (See the Carlisle game). 

He is well deserving of his place in the side but when we are chasing the game he'd be the first one off for me. If we are to progress I think he needs to be a squad player not a first choice midfielder, until his footballing skills  improve further,  and they have already improved which is testament to Fane and whoever is helping him. 

I'll be interested to see if his contract gets extended, it may not do, but is a lot more likely than 6 months ago. 

19 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Bravo. The acceptance of Fane as anything other than a squad player just illustrates how far the club has fallen and how shite this league actually is.

I don't know if you actually go to matches but his passing is very adequate for the tasks he is asked to do. It's a team game and he has his part to play i.e. "get it and give it to someone who has a range of passes" (e.g. Jack Byrne). A team full of Fanes would be as effective as a team full of Byrnes.  

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

There's many a club in this division who would take Fane and I'm sure the other midfielders appreciate his tenacity.

He has improved and could well improve further. He has flaws in his game, but so does the talented Byrne, and not many suggest leaving him out if the team.

Remember the side was  winning well when he formed a close partnership with Byrne and Gardner, the missing link in the chain now is a striker like Doyle, and until that link is restored I think we will continue to struggle. 

RW knows this and will bring in someone to return to that pattern of play again.

I can see the point of view though until we get that goal poacher using a different approach and playing without Fane may get results. The Checkatrade game at Shrewsbury being an example of playing without him.

Edited by BP1960

58 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

You thought Danny P was amazing. Forgive me if I disregard your opinion on what should be classed as a squad player

Sorry... not going to be popular this post...

Hes garbage..for a pro his ball control is cringeworthy.

Him and Gardner belong on stage not a football pitch.

No doubt the haters will jump all over this but i dont give a ......

I will continue to call it exactly as i see it.

10 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Some very uneducated people on this post. Amazing that just because fane doesn’t hit 50 yard passes and scores goal means he must be rubbish. Does the dirty stuff the rest of the team don’t seem to have in them - a hard tackle. 

Tackling is good but you need someone with positional sense alongside because he doesn't have any.

44 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Some very uneducated people on this post. Amazing that just because fane doesn’t hit 50 yard passes and scores goal means he must be rubbish. Does the dirty stuff the rest of the team don’t seem to have in them - a hard tackle. 

Out of interest what’s your view on Banks?

Fane is one of the best physical midfielders we have had in my memory, he is a beast of a man. However, even the yard dogs could pass it more than 10 yards.

24 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Fane is one of the best physical midfielders we have had in my memory, he is a beast of a man. However, even the yard dogs could pass it more than 10 yards.

The Yard Dogs played at a higher level 

28 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

He can pass it 10 yards. His distribution has improved dramatically. He is the least of our problems and one of the few players currently doing their job.

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Remember the side was  winning well when he formed a close partnership with Byrne and Gardner, the missing link in the chain now is a striker like Doyle, and until that link is restored I think we will continue to struggle. 

RW knows this and will bring in someone to return to that pattern of play again.

I can see the point of view though until we get that goal poacher using a different approach and playing without Fane may get results.

Thank you. Sometimes I start to think it's me....

(I realise sometime it is) 

This all makes you realise how long it's been since we've played well for a period whilst leaving a perfectly good player (which Fane is), or players, out of the side because a system they don't suit works better...

We're so used to being bare bones and having to cobble tactics around our best (or least worst) 11 players rather than picking 1 or 2 ahead of better players as they somehow compliment the team more.

Your best 11 players (and Fane is one of them in my eyes) don't necessarily make your best 11, your best team....

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

If Fane ever scores after one of his mazy, ever so slightly unco-ordinated, runs I imagine the place will erupt. Is the finger poised above the order button for the 'I Was There' commemorative t-shirts?

Please please let me be there when it does happen. ?

Funny how views on a player and their style can change.

I remember Mark Hughes (from Spurs) being an replica player of Fane. Couldn't pass very well but worked his tripe and put himself about but to far less effect than Fane does now but he was loved.

Richard Butcher (RIP) was hounded by a section of Latics fans because he didn't do the work Hughes did

He also never improved and dropped down the divisions to Barnet funnily enough where Fane turned down an move

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

There's many a club in this division who would take Fane and I'm sure the other midfielders appreciate his tenacity.

He has improved and could well improve further. He has flaws in his game, but so does the talented Byrne, and not many suggest leaving him out if the team.

I can see the point of view though until we get that goal poacher using a different approach and playing without Fane may get results. The Checkatrade game at Shrewsbury being an example of playing without him.

So play Fane when we are playing 4-4-2 but don’t when we are playing 4-5-1 as we have of late? Could work and Fane’s physicality won’t be needed as much with another 4 bodies in midfield as opposed to 3. A midfield of Gardner, Byrne, Pringle, Gevaro and AN Other, presumably Benyu/Tope until McLaughlin / Paddy Mac are fit, could work.

8 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

So play Fane when we are playing 4-4-2 but don’t when we are playing 4-5-1 as we have of late? Could work and Fane’s physicality won’t be needed as much with another 4 bodies in midfield as opposed to 3. A midfield of Gardner, Byrne, Pringle, Gevaro and AN Other, presumably Benyu/Tope until McLaughlin / Paddy Mac are fit, could work.

RW might just try that  at Shrewsbury.