Posh Away

3 hours ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

Can’t believe the amount of fickle fans we have. Yes, it’s a very bad run, yes it’s a little concerning to EVERYONE involved, including the manager, but, calling for his is downright ridiculous.

I understood it under David Dunn and Steve Robinson. The football was, in a word, shite. There were little signs of promise and I don’t think even the managers believed they could do it.

Whilst Wellens persona has changed slightly to questioning himself and his players, he is adament in wanting to form a team that follows his “philosophy” (Hate the cliche, but probably necessary here.) We’re playing good football and it’s clear that players want to come and play for him. (Byrne and Bryan signing are a key sign of this.)

We HAVE to give him the time to get this into place. I am a firm believer that we will survive this season, quite comfortably too. With a striker incoming, hopefully sooner rather than later, we should be capitalising more in these games, especially if it is someone in the Doyle ilk, who will drag defenders around and open up space for the midfield to operate.

I’ve probably rambled on a little bit, but I geninely feel passionate on this subject at the moment. It’s the first season in years (Shez’s masterclasses apart) where I have looked forward to the next game coming round, home or away.

In Wellens I trust, and I believe you all should too.

Agree with all that but Wellens is cutting his teeth in turbulent times. The next couple of signings are crucial, If he can get through all this and keep us up then next season could be one to savour. 

I just hope AL is thinking the same!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Agree with all that but Wellens is cutting his teeth in turbulent times. The next couple of signings are crucial, If he can get through all this and keep us up then next season could be one to savour. 

I just hope AL is thinking the same!

All about survival this season.

Hopefully a couple of signings this week and all hands to deck, i feel better knowing Byrne/Bryan are back, need a matty palmer type midfielder, a centre back and a goalscorer ASAP.

Playing great football and getting the philosophy right is admirable. Fact is our defence is woeful. Can't ignore it. In 7 games out of 10 scoring two goals in a won't get us the win. That is massively concerning, irrespective of our (potential) attaching prowess. 

There should be goals in this team without getting in another sticker. The defence has to be the priority.

14 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Pringle missed a sitter at 0-0. Gardner hit the post at 0-1. Could have been a very different result. 

Silly red red and pushing forward meant it was 3-0. Not sure about that penalty. 

We desperately need a goal scorer (fit Doyle would be perfect) and PLEASE can we sign a left footed left back!!!

14 hours ago, Wardie said:

I'm going to have to stop looking at Twatter. Posh fans tweeting that Latics were the better team, best visiting team and stating the bleeding obvious about needing a goal scorer...then contrast that with the moronic tweets from some [not all] of the so-called 'Latics fans'. A sense of reason and some perspective is required for some folks.

14 hours ago, nzlatic said:

The mood seems to be that we’re dreadful and certs for relegation. Ridiculous overreaction as per usual. We either acknowledge that Wellens has been fed a shit sandwich over the last couple of months and give him some time to get back to how we were playing when he took over. Or we bin him off, rip everything up and start the cycle all over again. 

11 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

Turn the computers off lads, put the phone away. Open a beer, chill out and come back tomorrow. 

We were losing games in December with 2/3 of the catalysts in the team. We’ll sign the players we need and we’ll be fine.

calling for wellens head already is fucking stupid and deep down uou know it. That was ok today, fine margins at front and back as it has been all season, we’ll sort it....

A lot of panic from some on this board and lot of sense from others. I tend to agree with the above posters - let’s not get too despondent. We are on a bad run but it’s all about believing and working hard to turn this around. 

I’m up for the Plymouth game and expect to see an improved performance. The results will come.

7 hours ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

Can’t believe the amount of fickle fans we have. Yes, it’s a very bad run, yes it’s a little concerning to EVERYONE involved, including the manager, but, calling for his is downright ridiculous.

I understood it under David Dunn and Steve Robinson. The football was, in a word, shite. There were little signs of promise and I don’t think even the managers believed they could do it.

Whilst Wellens persona has changed slightly to questioning himself and his players, he is adament in wanting to form a team that follows his “philosophy” (Hate the cliche, but probably necessary here.) We’re playing good football and it’s clear that players want to come and play for him. (Byrne and Bryan signing are a key sign of this.)

We HAVE to give him the time to get this into place. I am a firm believer that we will survive this season, quite comfortably too. With a striker incoming, hopefully sooner rather than later, we should be capitalising more in these games, especially if it is someone in the Doyle ilk, who will drag defenders around and open up space for the midfield to operate.

I’ve probably rambled on a little bit, but I geninely feel passionate on this subject at the moment. It’s the first season in years (Shez’s masterclasses apart) where I have looked forward to the next game coming round, home or away.

In Wellens I trust, and I believe you all should too.

I agree with all this, but seeing how quickly fans turned on Sheridan with all the credit he (should have) had in the bank, Wellens doesn't stand a chance if this run goes on much longer.

I just hope that Abdullah has more patience than Corney if it comes to the crunch and doesn't panic too soon,

3 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I agree with all this, but seeing how quickly fans turned on Sheridan with all the credit he (should have) had in the bank, Wellens doesn't stand a chance if this run goes on much longer.

I just hope that Abdullah has more patience than Corney if it comes to the crunch and doesn't panic too soon,

Did anybody actually turn on Sheridan...?

9 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

There were a few who turned on Sheridan, particularly after Rotherham, but I’d say he had nearly all the fans behind him.

We need to stick with him. We stuck with Johnson through some bad spells and came out the other side looking like a decent team, up the play-offs when we left us for Barnsley. We should do the same with Wellens. 

9 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

The fans did not turn on Sheridan their were a few murmours from a few reactionary idiots the same ones who are calling for Wellens now but overall the fans were still behind him until thr end. His sacking appeared to be if anything coming from Abdullah.

Their is nothing right now that a couple of good signings wont cure. We do that we will be survive comfortably.

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Did anybody actually turn on Sheridan...?

Yes the players must have considering the form some of them showed a week or two later under Wellens, who can we blame now - Shez was sent packing, Wilson and Ruddy the two young keepers have been fired off to their parent clubs and replaced by a man still lauded whose letting them in at two and three a week, Jewell has been sent packing replaced by club legend Tony P and yet we still find ourselves 'being the best away team we've seen this season' after getting tonked off Peterborough 3-0, it seems a long time ago since Wellens first game at home where we put a Peterborough side to the sword with ten men, how times change.

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes the players must have considering the form some of them showed a week or two later under Wellens, who can we blame now - Shez was sent packing, Wilson and Ruddy the two young keepers have been fired off to their parent clubs and replaced by a man still lauded whose letting them in at two and three a week, Jewell has been sent packing replaced by club legend Tony P and yet we still find ourselves 'being the best away team we've seen this season' after getting tonked off Peterborough 3-0, it seems a long time ago since Wellens first game at home where we put a Peterborough side to the sword with ten men, how times change.

I wouldn't put too much blame on Placide, any keeper would have kittens in front of our defence.

20 minutes ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

There were a few who turned on Sheridan, particularly after Rotherham, but I’d say he had nearly all the fans behind him.

We need to stick with him. We stuck with Johnson through some bad spells and came out the other side looking like a decent team, up the play-offs when we left us for Barnsley. We should do the same with Wellens. 

Didn't Johnson lose 10 games on the trot and still keep his job?

IMO RW needs 4 players to turn things around , a left footed full back, a tall dominant centre back, and 2 strikers who know where the net is.

We might get away with one, but if he gets injured we are back to square one.

2 minutes ago, Chris Richard said:

Maybe that's were we've been going wrong all these years! 

You must admit he'd make make a better defender than those in front of him though.:)

Edited by BP1960

20 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Didn't Johnson lose 10 games on the trot and still keep his job?

IMO RW needs 4 players to turn things around , a left footed full back, a tall dominant centre back, and 2 strikers who know where the net is.

We might get away with one, but if he gets injured we are back to square one.

I do not think Johnson had a run that bad with us. He had terrible runs at both Barnsley and Bristol, but don't think he did with us...

5 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

Didn't Johnson get an extended contract after one win in nine?

After guiding us to the fringes of the play-offs before that, if I remember correctly..

We can afford to give a manager time to turn it around if we've got enough points in the bag to avoid relegation.  Not sure if that's the case if we're 22nd, not scoring and conceding goals right, left and centre.

Edited by JoeP