Wellens Out!??

He was using Lee Johnson as an example of why you need to stick with a manager in his pre-Plymouth iFollow interview. 

Obviously he did so to give Abdallah reason to give him more time but, self preservation aside, I think he could be right and there are parallels between RW and LJ. 

Both similar types of player, similar careers, similar "philosophies".

We started LJ's first full season playing similarly attractive football to what Wellens started with but we kept losing (we were wining the passing but losing the scoring and defending like we have been again in recent weeks), he changed it and had the wherewithal to produce results with a style of play at odds with how he actually wanted to play .  Wellens is now talking along similar lines.

He's having a shit run akin to the shit run's Johnson had here, at Barnsley and at Bristol City. Every time Johnson came out the other side flying and I've got a feeling Wellens is made of similar stuff and will do the same. 

I reckon we're going to shit ourselves for a while but then Richie will get it all clicking again and we'll eventually achieve safety in a bit of style and we'll head into next season optimistic.... 

Edited by HarryBosch

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you lot were saying he was our best manager since Joe Royle a few months ago. His hands are tied in a fashion, and he is about to get another handful of players he doesn't want, but his selection and tactics are severely costing us and, if he stays, I reckon we will go down...

There's no question that Wellens deserved a shot, after his caretaker period, so the decision to give him the job was right.  But not much has gone right since and, much as I want every Latics manager to be given time, we can't afford to sacrifice League One status to give him a fair crack at it.  Unless things pick up very quickly, he needs to go.

13 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

There's no question that Wellens deserved a shot, after his caretaker period, so the decision to give him the job was right.  But not much has gone right since and, much as I want every Latics manager to be given time, we can't afford to sacrifice League One status to give him a fair crack at it.  Unless things pick up very quickly, he needs to go.

This sums up where I’m at.

I don't understand this notion that coz he got the team wrong on Saturday it has changed peoples minds on if he should stay. So he got it wrong...A young manager, devoid of players, scratching around to try and resolve a poor run gave a different system a go and quickly admitted it was wrong by making the subs he did. If we were in Burys position I'd be understanding of peoples complaints, but Wellens inherited this situation. There's plenty of time to turn this.

Let's also not forget, if Dummigan does his job properly for both goals, then we potentially win that game 1-0 on Saturday. My biggest issue is we keep playing a lad who is costing us week in, week out as he can't head a ball, tackle players running at him or stop goals coming from his area all season. He shits himself a bit like Paul Black used to on the left.  But then...who else is there to play??? And that most certainly isn't Wellens' fault. Rumour has it that 2 new FB's from AL's contacts are about to arrive. Fingers crossed they're half decent coz both Wellens and the team are screwed if not. If we are apportioning blame to the predicament we currently face, in my opinion, Wellens is at about 20% at the moment.

On 28/01/2018 at 9:46 AM, BP1960 said:

I'm also wondering if the said influx of foreign players will have effect on team morale, we have seen already several not catching the team on a regular basis and one gone home. I hope cliques don't develop and make it even harder to manage.

There were several times where I felt players were deliberately not passing to Nepu on Saturday. I'll be keeping an eye out for this again on Saturday. When the ball did finally get passed to Nepu, the RRE gave an ironic cheer so I don't think it was just me that noticed something not right.

On 28/01/2018 at 10:56 AM, Wardie said:

Yes, and I think we all know just what one of those "things" would be. I assume Lemsagam and Wellens discuss these signings...does Wellens get swayed into believing the players are up to the job or is the club's new owner pulling rank? It's all a bit of a headache at the moment.

Is it any different than August and Shez? I think it's a case of "these lads are coming over Richie...they'll be available to play next week!"

Edited by boundaryblue80

2 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

There were several times where I felt players were deliberately not passing to Nepu on Saturday. I'll be keeping an eye out for this again on Saturday. When the ball did finally get passed to Nepu, the RRE gave an ironic cheer so I don't think it was just me that noticed something not right.

McLaughlin was in acres of space several times too and didn’t get a pass. When he did eventually receive the ball it was after several unnecessary passes across the middle by which time Plymouth got men back and any advantage had gone. Like you say it was more noticeable with Nepo though.

48 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

43 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

McLaughlin was in acres of space several times too and didn’t get a pass. When he did eventually receive the ball it was after several unnecessary passes across the middle by which time Plymouth got men back and any advantage had gone. Like you say it was more noticeable with Nepo though.

Wellens said that he'd told them to play narrow because Plymouth play 2 number 10's rather than 2 wingers but that they'd then taken him too literally.... 

Could've been that.. ?

I suspect Wellens can't do cautious.  No doubt, even with our squad, he had some holes to fill but what he tried failed miserably.

I suspect he is now under more pressure than he has ever been.  The consequence was another three points lost.  Can't blame this on Doyle.

Has to win Saturday if still in the job.

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

The adverising hoardings were always on blue background at the time.

It's hard not to blame Wellens when:

He's not stopped banging on about needing a striker, only to sign one yet persist with 1 up front in the next starting XI

Starting McLaughlin on LW -  when as far as I remember he's never performed well there - instead of RW.

Starting Gardner again - who's be absolutely terrible for weeks and weeks and has offered nothing but defensive naivety.

1 hour ago, sjk2008 said:

It's hard not to blame Wellens when:

He's not stopped banging on about needing a striker, only to sign one yet persist with 1 up front in the next starting XI

Starting McLaughlin on LW -  when as far as I remember he's never performed well there - instead of RW.

Starting Gardner again - who's be absolutely terrible for weeks and weeks and has offered nothing but defensive naivety.

Mclaughlin was superb when he moved over to the left against Burton. Can’t say I have seen him play there much. 

If I was Wellens or whoever sorts out the defence, I’d have Dummigan pinned to a chair like Alex from Clockwork Orange, projecting defensive errors onto a large screen

If he can’t learn soon we have to drop him and loan him out somewhere. Far too much a liability

OK, so Wellens has hit that sticky patch that most, if not all, new managers do at some point. He's been found wanting at the plan B stage when key players (Doyle mostly) have been missing.

I very much doubt that a relegation is on Abdallah's wish list so it's time to back the manager with some good, solid players that enable him to settle back into his plan A football that, I think we can all agree, was both good to watch and successful.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

People keep saying Abdallah doesn't want a relegation.

It might be exactly what he wants, his actions since the summer have done little to suggest otherwise.

If he wanted a League 2 club, he would have bought one, wouldn't he?

Why pick up a failing League 1 club to achieve that?

21 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I don't understand this notion that coz he got the team wrong on Saturday it has changed peoples minds on if he should stay. So he got it wrong...A young manager, devoid of players, scratching around to try and resolve a poor run gave a different system a go and quickly admitted it was wrong by making the subs he did. If we were in Burys position I'd be understanding of peoples complaints, but Wellens inherited this situation. There's plenty of time to turn this.

Let's also not forget, if Dummigan does his job properly for both goals, then we potentially win that game 1-0 on Saturday. My biggest issue is we keep playing a lad who is costing us week in, week out as he can't head a ball, tackle players running at him or stop goals coming from his area all season. He shits himself a bit like Paul Black used to on the left.  But then...who else is there to play??? And that most certainly isn't Wellens' fault. Rumour has it that 2 new FB's from AL's contacts are about to arrive. Fingers crossed they're half decent coz both Wellens and the team are screwed if not. If we are apportioning blame to the predicament we currently face, in my opinion, Wellens is at about 20% at the moment.

It's interesting this. I really do want RW to do well, and he has it in him adn been delat a tougher hand than he expected.

No doubt the embargo has affected things too, but AL has been involved for several months and the LB has been an issue for some time (amongst other positions) so they should have some options lined up to go now, even if it meant losing a few with the takeover delay.

The squad was trimmed to 24 to allow one in one out.

LB, Doyle and AN Other striker a minimum surely by tommorow?

The worry is us having exactly the same budget as when Corney was in charge. But RW will have known that as AL effectively hired him.

Edited by singe

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

People keep saying Abdallah doesn't want a relegation.

It might be exactly what he wants, his actions since the summer have done little to suggest otherwise.

His actions since summer suggest his key interest is getting players hes connected with into a football club. It happens to be ours. The worry is that this could be regardless of the consequences. As they say, proof will be in the pudding. Starting with Transfer Deadline Day.

On 28/1/2018 at 6:05 PM, Lee Sinnott said:

Some of you lot were saying he was our best manager since Joe Royle a few months ago. His hands are tied in a fashion, and he is about to get another handful of players he doesn't want, but his selection and tactics are severely costing us and, if he stays, I reckon we will go down...

Amazing how opinions can change in a matter of weeks. 

My guess is that we’re going to stick with Wellens. So I hope he changes things around and sorts it fast.