I'm done

Guest Stanley30

Our gates will be proportional to our league position and if we are challenging at the top end they are likely to be substantially higher. However, my big worry is Lemsagem our new owner who for me hasn’t got a clue. I hope I’m wrong but I think he could get pissed off with it all very very quickly and we end up doing a Chesterfield!!

I’m hearing lots of stuff that has gone on behind the scenes this season and it fully explains our capitulation. We should not have been in this situation with this set of players...I’ve been saying for weeks that we have talented individuals but a very poor ‘team’.

The close season will be interesting to say the least but I’m not holding my breath!

2 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Whats the relevance of that comment?  

You said 3000 'gates' - that includes home and away support?!

On topic of home support - will it be that affected?  Will it heck.  Those who bought STs last season and seasons previously are the diehard core.  Apart from a very small number of 'dummy spitters', they'll still resubscribe.  

Anyone got data data on the ST sales for last 10 seasons plus demographic of ages 0-30, 30-55 and 55+?  I would argue that not only do we have a hardcore fanbase but one where the younger demographic is static or growing.

Relegation will not affect gate or ST sales 

We only push 3000 now for shitty home games - almost every game next year will be under that category. Only 300 have to give up for us to be beneath 3000.

I couldn’t care less about away supporters.

To get back on topic, namely "I'm done", I know without a shadow of doubt that I'm not done. Come August, I will have supported Latics for 68 years. It's a part of my growing up as a snotty nosed kid in Royton. It's all the games I went to with my Dad. It's the thrill of seeing us promoted, eventually into the top division. It's also the despair of relegations and having to apply for re-election to the football league. It's the memories of all the players that have passed through the club in those 68 years, from the brilliant such as Johnstone, Groves, Holden through the average (we've seen enough of those, no need to mention them here) to down right bloody awful (dare I say it? Kiegan Parker, Warren Feeney, Joe Colbeck).

But what that tells you is that Latics is in my blood, whether the team at the time is good, bad or indifferent. Managers come and go and, like the teams, they fall into the same three categories. We've had some right planks (Dunn, Robinson) but we've had some gems as well (Frizzell, Royle, Dowie). Wellens falls somewhere in between and, although we had the new manager "bounce" in his first few games, it's certainly been a slide since then.

The odd thing is, this relegation has hurt more than any other. I reckon this is down to the fact that we most definitely had the players to drag us out of this mess whereas, before, we usually knew we were absolute bobbins (just ask BP1960 and LaticsPete) and we expected failure. And we find ourselves in the fourth tier of English football for the first time in 47 years and it hurts, because we shouldn't be there.

Next season is going be a bit strange, visiting grounds we've not been to for donkey's years, plus the delights of a trip down the road to Forest Green Rovers. You never know, Sutton United or Boreham Wood might be on the radar if one of them does Tranmere in the Conference play off final. So there are things I can look forward to next season; not quite what I expected at the start of this season but, like I said, Latics is in my blood and there is no way on God's green earth that I will desert them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

However, my big worry is Lemsagem our new owner who for me hasn’t got a clue. I hope I’m wrong but I think he could get pissed off with it all very very quickly and we end up doing a Chesterfield!!

I’m hearing lots of stuff that has gone on behind the scenes this season and it fully explains our capitulation. We should not have been in this situation with this set of players...I’ve been saying for weeks that we have talented individuals but a very poor ‘team’.

Obviously Lemsagam isn't too familiar with lower league dosmetic English football.  He's an agent who's knowledge is more French, North African and other European leagues.  He's watched 20 L1 games at a guess.  This is where he'll rely on his board and employees who hopefully have that knowledge and experience.

I'd be interested to know more about what's gone on behind the scenes.  Being the result of our capitulation is a bit strong though - yesterday and this season is solely down to players who have the ability not showing the application or selection/tactics not playing to their strengths.  

Of Lemsagam's buys, three were in the team yesterday.  Nepomuceno has been hit and miss, Moimbe too with Placide getting rave reviews earlier in the season but his erratic behaviour cost us yesterday.  He's also enabled us to sign Byrne, extend Doyle and Bryan loans plus fund players that Wellens needed.  He also funded an offer to sign Devante Cole who went to Wigan.

I can't help but laugh at all these doom and gloom suggestions.  The guy has allegedly paid £3 million for our club - no property, just the club.  If he can afford to blow that by himself playing football manager then he must have some cash.  Would he risk that scale of investment if he only has very limited wealth - of course he wouldn't.

The negativity coming from the club, I suspect, is down to change.  Some people hate change and moan, others embrace.  New broom and all that.  Some of the events happen day in, day out at other clubs.  

Until I see a team 100% with French and African players (as an example as I have no issue with this personally) and then only being tanked 3-0 each game then I'll start to worry.  At moment I'm seeing a team mostly of Wellens signings, club youth and players linked to Lemsagam not performing.

Lets just see where we are in August and then come the January window eh?

Some comments on here and social media since yesterday's game is ludicrous.  Think about where we've been in recent years where we've worried about the future existence of our club.  Playing for at least one season in L2 is nothing.

21 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

We only push 3000 now for shitty home games - almost every game next year will be under that category. Only 300 have to give up for us to be beneath 3000.

I couldn’t care less about away supporters.

I don't care what the attendance is as long as I've got a club to watch 

I'm still fuming. Fuming with everything to do with the club, the way it's ran, the players , the overriding feeling that the dressing room is fractured, the seeming ineptitude tactically of the manager.

BUT...

This is my club.

Yes I'll still be very angry for weeks to come. I'll drive past Boundary park as I do every day and be reminded of what's occurred this year and will probably swear. However the frustration, disappointment and anger will ease. I'll still be there next year. I will still follow the transfers and still go to some pre-season games. Who ever is in charge, I'll still support his team. I'll still support OAFC.

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

Obviously Lemsagam isn't too familiar with lower league dosmetic English football.  He's an agent who's knowledge is more French, North African and other European leagues.  He's watched 20 L1 games at a guess.  This is where he'll rely on his board and employees who hopefully have that knowledge and experience.

I'd be interested to know more about what's gone on behind the scenes.  Being the result of our capitulation is a bit strong though - yesterday and this season is solely down to players who have the ability not showing the application or selection/tactics not playing to their strengths.  

Of Lemsagam's buys, three were in the team yesterday.  Nepomuceno has been hit and miss, Moimbe too with Placide getting rave reviews earlier in the season but his erratic behaviour cost us yesterday.  He's also enabled us to sign Byrne, extend Doyle and Bryan loans plus fund players that Wellens needed.  He also funded an offer to sign Devante Cole who went to Wigan.

I can't help but laugh at all these doom and gloom suggestions.  The guy has allegedly paid £3 million for our club - no property, just the club.  If he can afford to blow that by himself playing football manager then he must have some cash.  Would he risk that scale of investment if he only has very limited wealth - of course he wouldn't.

The negativity coming from the club, I suspect, is down to change.  Some people hate change and moan, others embrace.  New broom and all that.  Some of the events happen day in, day out at other clubs.  

Until I see a team 100% with French and African players (as an example as I have no issue with this personally) and then only being tanked 3-0 each game then I'll start to worry.  At moment I'm seeing a team mostly of Wellens signings, club youth and players linked to Lemsagam not performing.

Lets just see where we are in August and then come the January window eh?

Some comments on here and social media since yesterday's game is ludicrous.  Think about where we've been in recent years where we've worried about the future existence of our club.  Playing for at least one season in L2 is nothing.

To dismiss the doom and gloomers at what is probably an all time low for any fan under the age of 55 is pretty naive. Weve gone down with a wimper

As is the suggestion that Lemsagam has this all under control. With all the bad rumours flying about such as interfering in signings and team selection. If their is any truth in these rumours then we have just swapped one clown for another.

Now Im hoping he does learn a few lessons from this. If our signings are more crap from the french lower leagues then it suggests he hasn't.

If he is going to use his contacts to sign players then the empasise must be on quality over quantity, and to make sure they have the right character to get us out of league 2.

6 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Am I the only one who wasn't too bothered when the inevitable happened yesterday?  

Well it's taken me 24 hours to even look at anything on-line or even contemplate the shit league we've dropped down to, so from my viewpoint, yes.

0ver 40 years in the top three divisions - back to where it started. What's really angered me, even at my age, is the spineless pile of shit we've had to put up with since January. The last few weeks have been the worst. Gutless. Sheridan saved us for two years by getting the players focused and motivated. This last few months have been a disgrace. Donny at home was an improvement....yes, and that was actually a total pile of steaming crap against a team with nothing to play for. Yesterday was far worse.

Wellens - just piss off and do one! Take most of this cowardly bunch of amateurs with you. You will all go down in our club's history as the some of the biggest failures i've ever had the misfortune of watching. SHITHOUSES - ARGHHHHHH. You got the job because of a little run when caretaker. Apart from that, you've been total disaster who looks like he couldn't give a shit. I have an intense dislike of you at the moment. Please -don't ever come back. No fight. No guts. No courage. No professionalism. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. 

So, yes, i'm bothered, depressed, very angry and even contemplating switching my life long allegiance. Glasgow Celtic maybe. They win a lot of games and have an appropriate heritage that has always appealed to me (although i hope they don't play Benywho). Talking of green, though...I mean, Forest Green! Seriously. Tree hugging, middle-class veggies in a remote (possibly incestuous) village somewhere in the west country (I think). Sorry Forest people - but this is another step-down in our decline and it hurts. 

Life is totally shit at the moment, for many intense, personal reasons. Perspective? Yes. But, actually, this actually makes the manner of our pathetic capitulation even more difficult to take. Just when you want the love of your life to give you a little lift, Wellens' team kicks you in the nether regions with a truly pathetic show. Rochadale were lucky. I've watched it. Charlton treated it as a training session (i really hope they don't the play-offs - bastards), and that was a clear penalty towards the end. But they at least they showed some courage. I'd have fatty Hill any day over the shitbag Wellens.

I might have calmed down by August....

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

To dismiss the doom and gloomers at what is probably an all time low for any fan under the age of 55 is pretty naive. Weve gone down with a wimper

As is the suggestion that Lemsagam has this all under control. With all the bad rumours flying about such as interfering in signings and team selection. If their is any truth in these rumours then we have just swapped one clown for another.

Now Im hoping he does learn a few lessons from this. If our signings are more crap from the french lower leagues then it suggests he hasn't.

If he is going to use his contacts to sign players then the empasise must be on quality over quantity, and to make sure they have the right character to get us out of league 2.

There are three immediate indicators for me, and a fourth.

We release those that we know were signed.

Richie Wellens resigns, if there was the interference rumoured, he wouldn't and in all honesty shouldn't stay.

Who we sign, as you say, lower league #FrenchLads [sic] as per some of the previous signings.

Then, ff RW leaves, then who replaces him.

We'll know soon enough.

5 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

To get back on topic, namely "I'm done", I know without a shadow of doubt that I'm not done. Come August, I will have supported Latics for 68 years. It's a part of my growing up as a snotty nosed kid in Royton. It's all the games I went to with my Dad. It's the thrill of seeing us promoted, eventually into the top division. It's also the despair of relegations and having to apply for re-election to the football league. It's the memories of all the players that have passed through the club in those 68 years, from the brilliant such as Johnstone, Groves, Holden through the average (we've seen enough of those, no need to mention them here) to down right bloody awful (dare I say it? Kiegan Parker, Warren Feeney, Joe Colbeck).

But what that tells you is that Latics is in my blood, whether the team at the time is good, bad or indifferent. Managers come and go and, like the teams, they fall into the same three categories. We've had some right planks (Dunn, Robinson) but we've had some gems as well (Frizzell, Royle, Dowie). Wellens falls somewhere in between and, although we had the new manager "bounce" in his first few games, it's certainly been a slide since then.

The odd thing is, this relegation has hurt more than any other. I reckon this is down to the fact that we most definitely had the players to drag us out of this mess whereas, before, we usually knew we were absolute bobbins (just ask BP1960 and LaticsPete) and we expected failure. And we find ourselves in the fourth tier of English football for the first time in 47 years and it hurts, because we shouldn't be there.

Next season is going be a bit strange, visiting grounds we've not been to for donkey's years, plus the delights of a trip down the road to Forest Green Rovers. You never know, Sutton United or Boreham Wood might be on the radar if one of them does Tranmere in the Conference play off final. So there are things I can look forward to next season; not quite what I expected at the start of this season but, like I said, Latics is in my blood and there is no way on God's green earth that I will desert them.

I like Dowie but mentioning him in the same breath as Frizzell and Royle is surely ban worthy!

11 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

Without checking, I think Stockport are still getting gates similar to when they were in the football league. We are already pretty much down to the hard core. If we can get in the top third playing decent football, I would expect home fans to increase. Away followings will be well down though. A combination of geography and the relative size of the club's. I expect Forest Green Vegetarians to bring fewer than Dogdale.

Edit: hard core minus two

When we dropped out of the league we averaged 4700 and I'd say we're about 1000 less now, the last couple of games saw over 6000 in attendance so we've managed to hold up well but it's been 8 years non league now. I reckon your crowds will hold up because like us it's what you do on a Saturday, no matter how much crap you're dealt you'll take it on the chin because it's your club, I also think it could be a blessing in disguise as you'd gone stale in that division. Dropping down could see you regenerate and if you go back up you'll have some momentum which you've not had for years, anyway good luck.

• Like 1

Guest Stanley30
23 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Not bothering with this charade any more. I've watched Latics for 25 years and it gradually got worse. Fully deserved today and especially after all the smug comments about Rochdale earlier in the season. 

Just cannot watch a club with no ambition, at least the bloody rugby team give it a crack. Mossley here I come

Love how it all pissed at this;) 

I wouldn't say "I'm done", but I am finding harder to justify to myself dedicating so much time to something that just constantly lets you down.

Since the last dig at the play-offs under Shez I can probably count on one hand the number of days out watching Latics that have been about the football.  I would honestly get as much out of a Latics day out at the moment, home or away, if I turned up before the match in a pub full of Latics fans, spend the next four hours having a chat about the club and not bother going to the game at all.  I don't want it to be like that.

At the moment I'm struggling to see how things are going to get better.  If you believe Corney (and I know many don't...) he's searched every corner of the planet trying to find "the right person" to buy the club, but that person doesn't appear to exist, so he's now just sold it to the first buyer willing to take it off his hands.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Our gates will be proportional to our league position and if we are challenging at the top end they are likely to be substantially higher. However, my big worry is Lemsagem our new owner who for me hasn’t got a clue. I hope I’m wrong but I think he could get pissed off with it all very very quickly and we end up doing a Chesterfield!!

The close season will be interesting to say the least but I’m not holding my breath!

Spot on.  We know what the Lemsagem effect has been this year.  We can always hope this is a salutary lesson for him and he will do the right stuff next season.

I have a season ticket so I will be there.  If I hadn't bought one I wouldn't now.

So this is where i stand at this time..

Firstly, I'm gutted - who wouldn't be? I've trusted Latics for more years than I can remember to come good (irrespective of who wore the shirt) and this year they truly let me down.

Secondly, I worry about what goes on behind the scenes! .. if the rumours are true about interference (I stand in that corner personally) then that is a worrying thing. I've worked in an environment like that where people were telling my manager what to do and when to do and it truly f**ked things up and most of us left for other roles. What should have happened is he should have saddled over to them and told them to back off (and that's a polite way to put it) .. but alas he didn't and the department went to shit!

The so called 'Abadallah's lads' have been a mixed bag, he's put his money where his mouth is ..and yes he blocked others too (for that see 'weak manager person!) .. so at the moment the jury is still deliberating!

As far as RW goes, well what can I say? .. I liked him when he first came in and fought his corner as I believed he *could* have been a hidden gem - I'm not so sure now because of what's finally happened.

I'd love to know how the team gels personally. I believe senior pro's like Gerrard and Doyle would make sure that the foreign lads got involved asap, but maybe (?) that didn't quite happen and there were splinters due to language and the like - let's face it, it seems like Fane has seen the red mist about something or another to get him pushed out like he has (his ability levels don't come into it imho)

But to finish, I'm pretty much like most who've now calmed down and know that Oldham Athletic is their team, always was and always will be! I moved to within yards of the club for that sole reason .. I renew my seat season after season having it been the first priority when i left the RAF 21 years ago! So little is going to change really!

My only 'wobble' is I've recently got the tattoo bug and I'm booked in the week after next for my 3rd in a matter of weeks .. it is of course a Latics themed one which includes the club badge (the new one! Yeah I know, I know lol) ... but that's still making me think .. that said, I'm pretty sure of what I'll be doing that day tho! ha ha ha

Oh and I have forgotten one important thing - what I DO know about watching Latics is I have made some great friends since I started going in the late 80's .. and I continue to make them, even more so this season! ... and that is the crux of it if you ask me.. 

Oldham Athletic is our religion ..

Our terrace mates are our family ..

Without that, nothing makes sense .. and nothing else is worth worrying about!

See you all in August 

Edited by thetramfixer

It was the quiet inevitability of it all that pissed me off.....we went down without even a whimper. No rallying call, no words of encouragement from AL, in fact no words at all.

In the last few weeks of the season we played all the clubs in and around the relegation places and couldn’t even manage the single victory which would have kept us up.

Staying up should have been the No.1 priority for AL and his new regime but I really don’t think it was!

I was at Dale, Dons and Northampton spending my hard earned and along with the rest of our magnificent supporters we’ve been kicked in the teeth.

Loads of rumours now coming out of the club, whether true or not I don’t know but what I do know is that this season has been an absolute fuckin shambles!!

However, I’ll still be there next season along with three friends who have also renewed....what else would we do on a Saturday COYB?

Edited by oafc1955