Transfer Rumours

33 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Don’t care what’s gone on behind the scenes.  

He’s our best player by a country mile.  Our midfield is desperately lacking his creative spark in the middle.  He’s fit and ready to play.

Understand if he’s a bench warmer but he’s not.  We still have to pay him if he’s sat idle or playing so let’s do the best for the club on the pitch.  Whatever his wage, it’s a sizeable chunk of our budget so accentuates the reason why we need to play him and maximise the return from that wage.

This is the one thing that concerns me about AL if you read into the Fane situation last season and rumours from other players, ex-players and ex-managers.  If his personal opinions and resulting actions are jeopardising our clubs fortunes on the pitch then will we ever get out this league?

My guess is that his contract is heavily weighted towards appearances, hence his non appearance.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

So literally  no limits if a player is talented?  No wonder the game is in the state it is.

Why did AL broker the deal with him then when he'd shown signs of attitude and petulance quite clearly in games during his loan spell, if he was losing it out on the pitch I suspect similar was happening back then on the training ground, of course he has to be brought in line and fines for missed training and other indiscretions should be issued but banishing high earners to the youth team when the first team is desperate for his creative spark is just plain stupid.

AL has history with this tyrannical approach banishing Fane who at the time was our most consistent and combative midfielder to feed his own ego whilst seeing us slip out of League 1 at the 20 oddth attempt, another stupid call probably made on a whim.

AL continues to make mistakes day after day,  week after week and some of these are basics, it's a good job we can't sack football club owners because at the moment the lad is falling way short of what he promised but then I suppose he's more worried about doing everybody else's job than doing his own. Let the footballers play football and if FB want JB involved then one man's opinion shouldn't be stopping that from happening, AL isn't bigger than OAFC in the same way JB isn't, I  just wish we could be talking about football rather than shitstorms that our club can't get into the habit of shaking.

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

My guess is that his contract is heavily weighted towards appearances, hence his non appearance.

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well my guess is that the manager wouldn't stand for that. 

Ooh ? can I have a guess too? Now let me think...

I guess that Byrne is refusing to play unless he get’s the corner peg in the changing room... ?

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

It certainly happened in the olden days when the Blackpool chairman told the great Stanley Matthews  "you don't play in the summer so to don't get paid in the summer". ?

19 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

OK, so Bunn's a patsy. It does seem pretty obvious that Davies wanted out. 

He'd probably be ok with someone off the wage bill who's taking up a fifth of the budget. Agreed that it's not his fault, but that's the situation.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Why did AL broker the deal with him then when he'd shown signs of attitude and petulance quite clearly in games during his loan spell, if he was losing it out on the pitch I suspect similar was happening back then on the training ground, of course he has to be brought in line and fines for missed training and other indiscretions should be issued but banishing high earners to the youth team when the first team is desperate for his creative spark is just plain stupid.

AL has history with this tyrannical approach banishing Fane who at the time was our most consistent and combative midfielder to feed his own ego whilst seeing us slip out of League 1 at the 20 oddth attempt, another stupid call probably made on a whim.

AL continues to make mistakes day after day,  week after week and some of these are basics, it's a good job we can't sack football club owners because at the moment the lad is falling way short of what he promised but then I suppose he's more worried about doing everybody else's job than doing his own. Let the footballers play football and if FB want JB involved then one man's opinion shouldn't be stopping that from happening, AL isn't bigger than OAFC in the same way JB isn't, I  just wish we could be talking about football rather than shitstorms that our club can't get into the habit of shaking.

Maybe you are all missing the plot. He might be refusing to play for us. You don’t know what is going on.

It's the extrapolation into FACT that I struggle with.  Reasons for his omission so far seem to be:

Deliberately and seriously injured a colleague (if that one is true then I suggest the police should be involved) 

Refused to train 

Appearance clauses in contract too expensive to trigger

Player trying to force a move

Chairman trying to force player out 

I have no idea whether any of those are true and it seems like nobody else outside the club does either (that's a rare thing!) but plenty of people seem to think a resolution could be achieved quickly. 

Now obviously speculation is the lifeblood of the forum but best not to forget that's all it is. 

47 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Happy enough to play in reserves yesterday. So we know it isn't that.

Really he might be happy to play for the reserves to keep himself fit. That does not mean he’s happy to play for the first team. Playing for the reserves keeps him in the shop window

12 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Really he might be happy to play for the reserves to keep himself fit. That does not mean he’s happy to play for the first team. Playing for the reserves keeps him in the shop window

Bizarre logic but each to their own.

49 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's the extrapolation into FACT that I struggle with.  Reasons for his omission so far seem to be:

Deliberately and seriously injured a colleague (if that one is true then I suggest the police should be involved) 

Refused to train 

Appearance clauses in contract too expensive to trigger

Player trying to force a move

Chairman trying to force player out 

I have no idea whether any of those are true and it seems like nobody else outside the club does either (that's a rare thing!) but plenty of people seem to think a resolution could be achieved quickly. 

Now obviously speculation is the lifeblood of the forum but best not to forget that's all it is. 

You can't use words like extrapolation on here Dave, we have to Google what they mean.?

3 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

No news about any new signings. Would be a big mistake not to get anyone else in. 

i think we should have a new thread dedicated to  possible new signings that i could go on when i have read this Jack Byrne thread.

13 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Doesn't sound that unlikely given the overall situation, to me. I've no inside knowledge but it'd tie a couple of things together.

Surely that’s a sackable offence? Jack seems to want to stay and he doesn’t seem to have done something serious enough for to AL tear his contract up.

It’s all very odd (as per usual with Latics).

Conjecture, rumours and s**t slinging here. Why is it a case of always being negative? We don't know how the club is being run, or about Jack Byrne, or who we may or may not be signing. To say AL is incompetent after the mess he inherited just over 6 months ago is harsh. A bit of optimism would help, rather than hinder, here.

56 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Surely that’s a sackable offence? Jack seems to want to stay and he doesn’t seem to have done something serious enough for to AL tear his contract up.

It’s all very odd (as per usual with Latics).

If we tear a contract up, we're relinquishing a fee for arguably our most prized asset (we were never going to get owt for Gerrard); and by publicising what had gone on, we'd be putting off any potential buyers. I've no idea to be fair but none of the suggested reasons for his omission (this or appearances etc) would surprise me. 

Archived