Johan Branger signs

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

British players know the intensity, know the mentality.

There's no way this lad is going to be any better than a lad playing in Conference/Conference North.

That's like something i would say to troll Remain voters 

23 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

What level was Solihull Moor when we acquired Matt Smith?

Chesham was a much lower standard when we spotted Fitz Hall.  Same with Wayne Andrews.

Cannot believe people are writing this lad without seeing him play and because we haven’t snatched him from PSG fringe squad.

The motivation for signing Matt Smith was clear - he was picked out because he had the attributes to go on to be a good player after being scouted carefully.

I'm not convinced that's the motivation here..

This board is so depressing....can we stop continually moaning about each and every decision the club makes.

Nothing but doom & gloom in nearly every thread....FFS, try a positive spin just for a change.

I could give you two or three names now of midfielders at Conference North level who would do a job at the fraction this lad is likely to be costing, in fact you could probably sign all three.

It's nonsensical on any level given what we experienced at the back end of last season with squad disharmony and cliques, sorry to say this but its got Leyton Orient written all over it with three or four on big money, imports nobody has ever heard of and a manager who thinks he's playing football manager despite bullshitting the fans with his going back to traditions bollocks.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I could give you two or three names now of midfielders at Conference North level who would do a job at the fraction this lad is likely to be costing, in fact you could probably sign all three.

It's nonsensical on any level given what we experienced at the back end of last season with squad disharmony and cliques, sorry to say this but its got Leyton Orient written all over it with three or four on big money, imports nobody has ever heard of and a manager who thinks he's playing football manager despite bullshitting the fans with his going back to traditions bollocks.

So Yarddog tell us how much he’s being paid then seeing you believe he’s on mega bucks. You have no proof of what he’s being paid and until you do please keep quiet about who is being paid what. You just don’t know and knobidy knows how much the French lads where paid last year either except for Menig where it’s been declared. 

57 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

There's no way this lad is going to be any better than a lad playing in Conference/Conference North.

52 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The motivation for signing Matt Smith was clear - he was picked out because he had the attributes to go on to be a good player after being scouted carefully.

I'm not convinced that's the motivation here..

No disrespect intended but both of those posts are the negative, close-minded views and opinions we need to park unless proven with irrefutable evidence.

On the first post, are you an expert on the French lower leagues?  Can you evidence it’s not intense?  Players can adapt and if a player has quality then the club need to introduce him, mentor him etc to acclimatise 

On second post, I accept that first assumption is AL flooding our team with his ‘clients’ to sell them on.  However if he was just the agent then I understand this but as owner his priority is the team to succeed.  Why flood a team with inferior players, we struggle and he loses more than a few quid selling on a player.  Perhaps, and go with me on this one, he thinks this player can add to our team, be a creative spark from midfield and create chances for our strikers?!

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

these #FrenchLads caused a massive rift in the dressing room last season. AL is making similar mistakes.

AL wouldn't even be here if he couldn't bring in players he knows in order to develop and sell on. We have to accept this, as does any coach or manager.

The buck has to stop when he's telling the manager who to pick though. That should always be merit-based.

3 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

No disrespect intended but both of those posts are the negative, close-minded views and opinions we need to park unless proven with irrefutable evidence.

On the first post, are you an expert on the French lower leagues?  Can you evidence it’s not intense?  Players can adapt and if a player has quality then the club need to introduce him, mentor him etc to acclimatise 

On second post, I accept that first assumption is AL flooding our team with his ‘clients’ to sell them on.  However if he was just the agent then I understand this but as owner his priority is the team to succeed.  Why flood a team with inferior players, we struggle and he loses more than a few quid selling on a player.  Perhaps, and go with me on this one, he thinks this player can add to our team, be a creative spark from midfield and create chances for our strikers?!

He is 25, you'd think if he was any good then he would have been picked up before now.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

British lad Booky.

Turned professional at 30, signed for Man. City at 32 and became their most successful captain.

So, according to your own argument, why wasn't he picked up before turning 25?

Oh....and I'm still waiting patiently for you to tell me which bits I made up in earlier post.    Apologies Deyres42.

Edited by mikejh45

1 minute ago, mikejh45 said:

Turned professional at 30, signed for Man. City at 32 and became their most successful captain.

So, according to your own argument, why wasn't he picked up before turning 25?

Oh....and I'm still waiting patiently for you to tell me which bits I made up in earlier post.

Not me.

I'm up for hearing about players who came from obscure foreign leagues and were a success in the lower English leagues.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not me.

I'm up for hearing about players who came from obscure foreign leagues and were a success in the lower English leagues.

Please tell me how the example of Tony Book fits in with your argument of "He is 25, you'd think if he was any good then he would have been picked up before now".

6 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Please tell me how the example of Tony Book fits in with your argument of "He is 25, you'd think if he was any good then he would have been picked up before now".

Disregarding the fact that a Tony Book wouldn't happen nowadays I'm looking for examples of obscure foreign players being a success in the lower English leagues.

20 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Disregarding the fact that a Tony Book wouldn't happen nowadays I'm looking for examples of obscure foreign players being a success in the lower English leagues.

Romain Vincelot

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

There are some in non league who will be internationals in future, always rough diamonds in there.

Edited by BP1960

2 hours ago, HallamBlue said:

Go on then share... 

Okay I will bite, three players who caught my eye last season who I feel could step up are George Thomson at Harrogate, Aaron Williams whose just signed for Harrogate from Brackley and Kieran Glynn whose a local lad with bags of ability whose just signed for Salford, if you watch any level 6 or 7 football there are plenty who would flourish if they were given the opportunity full time.