Johan Branger signs

We have no idea how good or bad Branger will be but don't let that stop anyone from speculating.

The point, I think, is that last season players were added to the squad when Wellens had no idea how good or bad they were and here we seem to be again with a player being added to the squad when Bunn is unlikely to have any idea how good or bad he is, where he fits in and is probably despite all his enthusiasm for the job beginning to wonder what he has let himself in for.

"plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Disregarding the fact that a Tony Book wouldn't happen nowadays I'm looking for examples of obscure foreign players being a success in the lower English leagues.

Latics signed Stefan Stam from a club in the Dutch 5th division, he was a success here many would say.

I've seen Sunday league pub team players rise to play in the Championship like Lee Trundle, Tony Naylor and Tony Ellis, all very good technically.

All recommended to league clubs by myself.

I learned never to write off a player because of his club's status.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Okay I will bite, three players who caught my eye last season who I feel could step up are George Thomson at Harrogate, Aaron Williams whose just signed for Harrogate from Brackley and Kieran Glynn whose a local lad with bags of ability whose just signed for Salford, if you watch any level 6 or 7 football there are plenty who would flourish if they were given the opportunity full time.

And you know they are all in a position to take up an inevitably short term contract on low wages? 

40 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

And you know they are all in a position to take up an inevitably short term contract on low wages? 

All three have done just that in the past 12 months or so for the opportunity to go full time, albeit on probably more money than we'd be able to offer.

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

This board is so depressing....can we stop continually moaning about each and every decision the club makes.

Nothing but doom & gloom in nearly every thread....FFS, try a positive spin just for a change.

Transfer window closes in 5 weeks. This weird behaviour from you and other posters who are absolutely adamant that everything is alright is becomming a piss take. It's like we have absolutely no right to be concerned and AL is a genius. Do me a favour and wake up for the love of christ.

Definitely clapped off the lads at Northampton

3 hours ago, sleeuwenhoek said:

Stefan Stam, Matteo Lanzoni, Genseric Kusunga

Miles ahead of the level this fella is at. Kusunga even featured in the Champions League a couple of times. Lanzoni a product of Sampdoria.. 

Mchangama probably only closest comparison but even then he was playing 3 divisions higher than this guy

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I've seen Sunday league pub team players rise to play in the Championship like Lee Trundle, Tony Naylor and Tony Ellis, all very good technically.

All recommended to league clubs by myself.

I learned never to write off a player because of his club's status.

And that, dear friends, is the crux of the whole thing. Mind you, that won't stop some folk regarding a player as useless just because they've never heard of him or who he plays for. You can almost hear the cries of "get off, you're crap" during the warm up before his first game. 

9 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

That was about 50 years ago. Stupid comparison. 

Why is it a stupid comparison?

Players get released at a young age because they aren't deemed good enough.....play non-league/part-time...….work hard......gambled upon by a league club when they are older.

Nothing has changed.

33 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Transfer window closes in 5 weeks. This weird behaviour from you and other posters who are absolutely adamant that everything is alright is becomming a piss take. It's like we have absolutely no right to be concerned and AL is a genius. Do me a favour and wake up for the love of christ.

Think you’ve got weird behaviour well and truly patented....you do me a favour and stop posting unsubstantiated shite!

3 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Why will no one engage and tell me why all is fine?

39 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

You may be correct in some of your assertions but nobody likes hearing the same thing over and over and over again. It's like country and western music, but without the music.

Edited by Bobledgersheart

37 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Transfer window closes in 5 weeks. This weird behaviour from you and other posters who are absolutely adamant that everything is alright is becomming a piss take. It's like we have absolutely no right to be concerned and AL is a genius. Do me a favour and wake up for the love of christ. The guy you replied to never even hinted that he was adamant everything was alright. He was suggesting (somewhat bizarrely in some folk's eyes) that there is a great deal of negativity in some posts and suggests a little positivity. Nothing wrong with that. Oh, nor did he say AL was a genius. Still, if being consistently negative suits your agenda, go for it.

Er, sorry, you already have. Several times. Your final sentence says it all. You're always right. Right?

34 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Miles ahead of the level this fella is at. Kusunga even featured in the Champions League a couple of times. Lanzoni a product of Sampdoria.. who never played a game for them in 5 years, but spent those 5 years on loan at several clubs most of us have never heard of.

Mchangama probably only closest comparison but even then he was playing 3 divisions higher than this guy - He started with CS Sedan, a French 4th tier club

3 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I'm not being negative for the sake of it. If we signed a player of decent calibre then I would be happy and expect good things. This signing only seems to confirm two things. We've not learnt anything from last season and AL will still have control to bring in whoever he wants. How can Bunn have judged him as a footballer from 2 days of fitness training?

Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

13 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I'm not being negative for the sake of it. If we signed a player of decent calibre then I would be happy and expect good things. This signing only seems to confirm two things. We've not learnt anything from last season and AL will still have control to bring in whoever he wants. How can Bunn have judged him as a footballer from 2 days of fitness training?

Yet some on here have judged him on less.

6 minutes ago, HallamBlue said:

Who as a signing within our limited pulling power would make you happy as sure we could have a collection just to make you have to post something positive. 

I'm not contributing just to make the miserable git slightly less miserable.

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

He is 25, you'd think if he was any good then he would have been picked up before now.

Using that logic, Latics are always going to get the footballing dregs, when it comes to experienced players, because any decent players that are "any good" would have already been picked up. Therefore, Latics get the untried and untested youngsters or the old and possibly past-it players, barring any home-grown talent. Is it possible that a player can fail or shine, dependant upon the other players in the team, the tactics, the manager...the coach...the fans...all of those things, even?

59 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

If he's a duffer after 2 days of training Bunn surely wouldn't agree to the signing?