Colchester United (h)

21 minutes ago, dids said:

Has anybody seen anything in this division up to now that  says we cant win this league?

lets have a bit of bravado and go for it.

I'd rather fail having a go than finish 10th

I think we are having a go. 

An we’ll probably finish 10th. 

Surely thats at the same thing? 

3 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Said it after the last home game ....

Why the f*ck won't he play JBB ?

Without José 0-2

With José 3-1

Imagine 90 minutes of him 6-1?

Impact player, innit.

At the moment he's the Plan B that many claim we don't have.

Probably not fit enough to start, but when he is it'll take us to the next level. 

22 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Impact player, innit.

Probably not fit enough to start, but when he is it'll take us to the next level. 

We could try him from the start though, why go to him when it's a drab 0-0 or worse still we are behind, he's started two games Morecambe away and Crawley at home and unsurprisingly we have won both and more pertinently scored in the first half in both games. In fact they are the only two League games we have scored before the break - just coincidence? Oh let's hoof it up to O'Grady for sixty minutes and hope something bounces of him into the path of Surridge to finish (yes it's that predictable).

Yesterday Colchester couldn't handle him and that's not because he's a plan B it's because he's a class act particularly at this level, he rarely gives the ball away, Gardner moves up another level with him alongside and the strikers are on their toes because they know he has the ability to put them in. L

It really is a no brainer and is criminal that the team isn't being put together around him rather than him being thrown on to try and rescue something, Bunn mustn't fancy him because there's no way you'd leave him out otherwise, it's the same old same old week in week out at home and the onus should be on us to take the game to these teams, I'm not on about pretty little spells of possession where we go absolutely no where - I'm on about taking games by the scruff of the neck and having a go at teams, be fucking braver play your best eleven like you promised and see where it takes us.

Edited by yarddog73

16 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We could try him from the start though, why go to him when it's a drab 0-0 or worse still we are behind, he's started two games Morecambe away and Crawley at home and unsurprisingly we have won both and more pertinently scored in the first half in both games. In fact they are the only two League games we have scored before the break - just coincidence? Oh let's hoof it up to O'Grady for sixty minutes and hope something bounces of him into the path of Surridge to finish (yes it's that predictable).

Yesterday Colchester couldn't handle him and that's not because he's a plan B it's because he's a class act particularly at this level, he rarely gives the ball away, Gardner moves up another level with him alongside and the strikers are on their toes because they know he has the ability to put them in. L

It really is a no brainer and is criminal that the team isn't being put together around him rather than him being thrown on to try and rescue something, Bunn mustn't fancy him because there's no way you'd leave him out otherwise, it's the same old same old week in week out at home and the onus should be on us to take the game to these teams, I'm not on about pretty little spells of possession where we go absolutely no where - I'm on about taking games by the scruff of the neck and having a go at teams, be fucking braver play your best eleven like you promised and see where it takes us.

He's Plan B at the moment, because he's not fit enough to be Plan A. I'd be amazed if Bunn "doesn't fancy him".

Until he's fully fit, bringing him on to attack tiring defences doesn't seem the worst plan in the world, especially as we seem to be getting results at the moment. 

Every team in league 2 will know Baxter is a quality player and try to nullify him when he plays.  Bringing him on later in games when the game has opened up will give him the space to play and influence the game more whilst also getting him match fit.  It is early days but we are sixth and just won 3-0 away from home.  No manager will change a winning team after an emphatic away win like that. Baxter will get his chance.  We are sixth in the league with players returning from injury and the best of Baxter to come.  We are doing ok.

3 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Said it after the last home game ....

Why the f*ck won't he play JBB ?

Without José 0-2

With José 3-1

Imagine 90 minutes of him 6-1?

28 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Impact player, innit.

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He should be the Plan A though...

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It really is a no brainer and is criminal that the team isn't being put together around him rather than him being thrown on to try and rescue something, Bunn mustn't fancy him because there's no way you'd leave him out otherwise, 

Having seen Jose come on as sub a number of times, two things are patently clear to me:

Baxter is a class act. He seems to have time on the ball and he sees passes that others simply don’t.

And Baxter is not yet at full fitness.

I’m certain that Bunn believes this too. That is why Jose is being used mainly from the bench. 

I think he is close to getting there and from Jose’s reaction at the end of the game, he is getting frustrated at not getting more game time. 

I would start him next week, but it will need a change to Bunn’s preferred formation to accommodate him I think. 

• Like 1

I’m like a lot of other people on here, I can’t understand why José isn’t starting more games. If it was purely down to match fitness then why has he started two games already, plus he’s already completed one 90 minutes, surely he can at least do 45 minutes comfortably so why wasn’t he brought on at half time? He only came on when we were 2-0 down and he had an immediate impact.

I thought Gardner was good yesterday. Apart from Baxter he is by far our most comfortable player on the ball, in my opinion though he lacks the creativity that Baxter provides and that’s where we suffer as a team. He played a cracking ball over the top for Taylor for the first goal but generally he doesn’t play the killer incisive pass to open up a defence, whereas Baxter has got the capability to do just that, plus José rarely wastes a pass meaning we keep possession longer.

Gardner and Baxter together look much better.

I thought we did great to keep going till the end yesterday and deserved a draw but before that we did a lot of huffing and puffing with no end result. I can’t believe the match stats saying that we had 18 shots. I must have missed most of them!

Onwards and upwards though, we are doing pretty well on the whole. Hopefully we will get even better, especially if Baxter can get more game time.

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If it’s not his fitness, and it’s tactical. Then. . Bunn knows nothing about football. . 

I mean there's little doubt that Bunn would benefit from taking the advice offered on this forum, where the true experts on football congregate..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Pretty disappointed it’s taking Baxter this long to get fully fit. Surely that’s what preseason is for? He still looks too heavy at the mo, so the question has to be what are the fitness coaches doing? I’m not having this year and a bit out BS. He needs to get his head down and get on the pitch

We've been fit enough to go at teams right to the full time whistle which we haven't before. I'd say the fitness coaches have got the majority very fit. He didn't get a full preseason either due to inury. You really know nothing 

16 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Where does he play if/when he achieves this much talked about full fitness?

2 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I think he could play just behind the front two. Obviously one of the wide players would have to be sacrificed because we still need Missilou and Gardner in the middle.

This.