Colchester United (h)

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Said it yesterday mate. Baxter has to start at home. Play o’grady away. 

Id try playing our best players all the time? Novel idea I know but it's one Bunn himself advocated before the start of the season. 

Even a 4-5-1 with Baxter and Gardner central behind Surridge.

My first game in a few weeks. Tuff game against the most direct side I've seen in an age. No pretence of football just bang it long. There number 45 however is robbing a wage shocking footballer. We showed a lot of battle and fitness to get back into the gane and we didn't deserve to loose but against a huge team physically we gave away soft corners  and paid for it. from open play they created little a good draw tho and a decent result against a team above us.

Iverson 6 - had little to do but found  himself picking the ball out of the net.

Hunt 6 - battled against the physical stuff but not often able to provide anything going forward

Clarke 6 - partly at fault for the second maybe? Header straight to there player who finished well. Still the equaliser was a case or goal or the keeper was ending in the back of the stand. True captain who never gave up.

Edmunson  5- stood up to the long balls and looked comfortable until needlessly playing head tennis and letting them in for the 3rd 

Taylor 5 - been a fan since he joined but his passing first half was awful. Improved after the break

Lang  5 - needless mistake led to the first goal and he didn't offer much  rightly subbed

Gardner 9 - often criticised for giving the ball away but isn't do that so much today and out his usual shift in. 2 decent crosses for goals 2 and 3

Missoulu  6 - did ok against a team who didn't really use midfield much but picked things up well enough.

Banger 5 - was ok best bits of play again with back to goal but never really threatend the Colchester defence.

O Grady 6 - worked hard a some decent lay offs but didn't take 1 good chance and had another blocked 

Sturridge 9 - will be playing much higher than this division next season alert for the tap in. Superb flick for the 2nd. Real live wire. 

Subs Baxter 6 knitted things together and didn't give the ball away really other than one silly needless Hollywood  ball that let then have possession in our half late on.

Nepo 5 didn't really get into the game few crosses blocked. I'd expect him to start next week tho.

Miller - 5 didn't do a great deal.

Edited by bluehobbit

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Id try playing our best players all the time? Novel idea I know but it's one Bunn himself advocated before the start of the season. 

Even a 4-5-1 with Baxter and Gardner central behind Surridge.

Totally agree Yardy, but for whatever reason it seems Baxter can’t manage more than twenty minutes. 

However, I’d still play him. Let others do his running. 

4 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

My first game in a few weeks. Tuff game against the most direct side I've seen in an age. No pretence of football just bang it long. There number 45 however is robbing a wage shocking footballer. We showed a lot of battle and fitness to get back into the gane and we didn't deserve to loose but against a huge team physically we gave away soft corners  and paid for it. from open play they created little a good draw tho and a decent result against a team above us.

Iverson 6 - had little to do but found  himself picking the ball out of the net.

Hunt 6 - battled against the physical stuff but not often able to provide anything going forward

Clarke 6 - partly at fault for the second maybe? Header straight to there player who finished well. Still the equaliser was a case or goal or the keeper was ending in the back of the stand. True captain who never gave up.

Edmunson  5- stood up to the long balls and looked comfortable until needlessly playing head tennis and letting them in for the 3rd 

Taylor 5 - been a fan since he joined but his passing first half was awful. Improved after the break

Lang  5 - needless mistake led to the first goal and he didn't offer much  rightly subbed

Gardner 9 - often criticised for giving the ball away but isn't do that so much today and out his usual shit in. 2 decent crosses for goals 2 and 3

Missoulu  6 - did ok against a team who didn't really use midfield much but picked things up well enough.

Banger 5 - was ok best bits of play again with back to goal but never really threatend the Colchester defence.

O Grady 6 - worked hard a some decent lay offs but didn't take 1 good chance and had another blocked 

Sturridge 9 - will be playing much higher than this division next season alert for the tap in. Superb flick for the 2nd. Real live wire. 

Subs Baxter 6 knitted things together and didn't give the ball away really other than one silly needless Hollywood  ball that let then have possession in our half late on.

Nepo 5 didn't really get into the game few crosses blocked. I'd expect him to start next week tho.

Miller - 5 didn't do a great deal.

Was going to say that this was pretty harsh but looking at it, it's pratty fair.  I will say that Miller won the corner for the 3rd so he gets a 6!!

It takes guts to come back from 3-1 down with 7 minutes to go against the side 4th in the league.

At 2 down this had an all too familiar ring to it but that almost felt like a win today in the circumstances. We gave away 2 daft corners that lead to the first 2 goals. 

But we kept going and with Surridge who is now joint 2nd top scorer in the league we always have a chance.

I know their is a clamour to get Jose to start at the moment but for now Id keep him on the bench for now and in time he will start but I dont think its yet. I also think Miller showed he could be an asset from the bench.

Was expecting a victory at the start of the game was expecting defeat with 7 mins to go so I will take a point.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Missilou is Dean Furman II. Crab.

Surridge superb. Threat every time he picks up the ball.

Rather see Baxter play the first 45 than the second. 

At home I would say that's spot on regarding Missilou , teams tend to sit back and counter.  When we play away he is far more effective, breaking up play and winning the ball.  Baxter needs to start at home.

Thought a point was the least we deserved. We dominated possession, we had more shots, when we upped tempo they struggled. Passing could have been better, especially first half, wasn't picking the wrong pass for me by and large it was that the pass was slack, it was on but the ball was left short or too close to their player but it was the right ball, played badly. We were our own worst enemy for their goals but we're in the 4th division and a lot of lesser, for want of a better word, teams in this league won't have the wherewithal to take advantage but we need to sort that out. Despite the fact we've only taken 1 point from 6 against them if Newport and Colchester are a measure of the strength of this league given their early positions then we more than matched the pair of them and I'd expect us to be at the business end of the table rather than not. Surridge a Division 4 Shearer, like that whoever said it and yes they did time waste but remember folks one mans time wasting is another mans game management.

1 minute ago, jorvik_latic said:

18 shots today and 60% possession. Cut out some silly errors and we could push on. 

But that’s me looking on the positive side of things...

I don't know who does these possession stats but they are clearly bollocks. We had a lot more than 60%.

Think time is up for O'Grady and Branger IMO.

Against the big defenders we are facing week in week out a fit Miller would be my pick.

Plenty now available to replace Branger.

Not sure where Lang fits into this team, certainly not as a midfield or wide player

Good team spirit again though.

Edited by BP1960

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Against the big defenders we are facing week in week out a fit Miller would be my pick.

Not sure where Lang fits into this team, certainly not as a midfield or wide player

Dummigan in on the right for me ASAP, Lang given a chance up front in his favoured position alongside Surridge and get Baxter in that midfield because we ticked today when everything went through him, it also allowed Gardner to play further up the pitch were he is far more effective.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I know this is contrary to the opinion of many here but i would be loathed to drop O'Grady, his work rate is excellent and  he is smart enough to do the donkey work for Surridge. Ok, he ain't gonna score a hatful but he does help to provide.

Agree with Branger and also Nepo,these guys should be whipping crosses into the box for fun but offer very little.

Lang seems to offer more of a threat,but is a young lad learning all the time. I thought he played well until his confidence took a knock when his error led to a goal for Colchester.

I think Bunn should be concentrating on cutting out the defensive lapses that today cost us against what i thought was very ordinary opposition.

4 minutes ago, archiecat said:

I know this is contrary to the opinion of many here but i would be loathed to drop O'Grady, his work rate is excellent and  he is smart enough to do the donkey work for Surridge. Ok, he ain't gonna score a hatful but he does help to provide.

Agree with Branger and also Nepo,these guys should be whipping crosses into the box for fun but offer very little.

Lang seems to offer more of a threat,but is a young lad learning all the time. I thought he played well until his confidence took a knock when his error led to a goal for Colchester.

I think Bunn should be concentrating on cutting out the defensive lapses that today cost us against what i thought was very ordinary opposition.

All I want is Lang and Surridge to be given a chance, Surridge doesn't need anyone to do the donkey work he puts himself about and can look after himself, please don't give O'Grady the credit for what Surridge invariably fashions himself. We were 100% a more dangerous attacking unit the minute O'Grady walked off the pitch today. I'd even contemplate playing Surridge as a lone striker to accommodate Baxter in the midfield behind him.

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Dummigan in on the right for me ASAP, Lang given a chance up front in his favoured position alongside Surridge and get Baxter in that midfield because we ticked today when everything went through him, it also allowed Gardner to play further up the pitch were he is far more effective.

Gardner went very deep late on. Possibly because Edmondson got a knock on his knee? 

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

All I want is Lang and Surridge to be given a chance, Surridge doesn't need anyone to do the donkey work he puts himself about and can look after himself, please don't give O'Grady the credit for what Surridge invariably fashions himself. We were 100% a more dangerous attacking unit the minute O'Grady walked off the pitch today. I'd even contemplate playing Surridge as a lone striker to accommodate Baxter in the midfield behind him.

Not taking anything away from Surridge,the lad is class. I would try Lang and Surridge but the chances of Frankie doing that are slimmer than a coachfull of supermodels.

told you my opinion of O'Grady differs from others,you included but we can't agree on everything :chubb:

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Gardner went very deep late on. Possibly because Edmondson got a knock on his knee? 

He did, he linked well with Baxter too, something I noticed in their short times together in previous games.

It's a dilemma when to start Baxter, doubt it will be at Swindon though.