23 hours ago, latics22 said:

Why??

Because they consider themselves Boltons rivals when in reality Bolton aren't arsed about Bury, but its usually Bury's cup final when they play them.

Not that we are in a position to have a go about 1 sided rivalries like.

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It can't be coincidental that almost all of the clubs experiencing strife (Coventry the obvious exception) are in the North West.  In any normal business one might suggest that supply is exceeding demand.

Barring a mega rich owner deciding to do something daft then I think an Oldham and Rochdale merger will happen one day otherwise we will be down with the likes of Ashton United and Stalybridge. 

25 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It can't be coincidental that almost all of the clubs experiencing strife (Coventry the obvious exception) are in the North West.  In any normal business one might suggest that supply is exceeding demand.

....or a general issue with the North/South divide;

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clifford said:

Barring a mega rich owner deciding to do something daft then I think an Oldham and Rochdale merger will happen one day otherwise we will be down with the likes of Ashton United and Stalybridge. 

Who would ever support a team made up of a merger between oldham and Rochdale? I can’t think of a single fan from Oldham that would carry on supporting a made up club like that and I can only imagine the same on the Rochdale side. 

• Like 2

From the M.E.N. last Friday:

"The new owner of Bury Football Club has said its financial position is 'significantly worse than what was discovered' during the process of his takeover last December.

In a statement issued as a winding-up petition goes to the High Court next week, chairman Steve Dale said the extent of 'problems inherited from the previous ownership' have now become apparent."

Sounds a familiar story......wonder if he used the same firm of dodgy accountants as AL for due diligence.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

"The new owner of Bury Football Club has said its financial position is 'significantly worse than what was discovered' during the process of his takeover last December.

In a statement issued as a winding-up petition goes to the High Court next week, chairman Steve Dale said the extent of 'problems inherited from the previous ownership' have now become apparent."

Sounds a familiar story......wonder if he used the same firm of dodgy accountants as AL for due diligence.

Or he was told and like our owner he has no clue what hes doing.

3 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

I'm probably missing something here (and not for the first time in my life), but what was he told?

Something other than the full truth? 

It happens at all levels of business, ask the board of Hewlett Packard 

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Something other than the full truth? 

It happens at all levels of business, ask the board of Hewlett Packard 

So who is to blame?

Is it the purchaser for believing a report put in front of him or the person compiling the report?

3 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

So who is to blame?

Is it the purchaser for believing a report put in front of him or the person compiling the report?

Life and business are not risk free. Deliberately hiding problems would be challenging but there's never a guarantee that everything material will come to light or even be known to the seller in a sale process. 

Warranties are not unusual in corporate transactions but certainly not always in place. 

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Life and business are not risk free. Deliberately hiding problems would be challenging but there's never a guarantee that everything material will come to light or even be known to the seller in a sale process. 

Warranties are not unusual in corporate transactions but certainly not always in place. 

I agree with your thoughts on warranties but how would you calculate the risk? And who would pay?

I use them in construction on a project by project basis but that is to indemnify the client should the contractor go under.

I don't think the onus should be on the purchaser but on the accountants to provide one. And how many firms would have that level of confidence in themselves to uncover everything. 

15 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

I agree with your thoughts on warranties but how would you calculate the risk? And who would pay?

I use them in construction on a project by project basis but that is to indemnify the client should the contractor go under.

I don't think the onus should be on the purchaser but on the accountants to provide one. And how many firms would have that level of confidence in themselves to uncover everything. 

The business I am involved in acquired a new majority shareholder three and a half years ago. The directors gave personal Wlwarranties against any nasties that may have come to light. Very general and potentially very onerous but we were confident that nothing would and it didn't. 

Quite why anyone would buy a business such a football club without taking similar precautions beats me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, super_blue said:

Who would ever support a team made up of a merger between oldham and Rochdale? I can’t think of a single fan from Oldham that would carry on supporting a made up club like that and I can only imagine the same on the Rochdale side. 

There would be enough to get it up and running. 1500 from each club would be par with what they get now. 

1 hour ago, super_blue said:

I would. I just happened to support Oldham essentially as a result of a grateful patient of my Dad's from an illness 2 or 3 years before I was born. 

I live almost in the middle of Bury, Rochdale and Oldham. When people ask where I'm from I don't think I've ever said Oldham. 

When Stott and the owners of Bury and Rochdale discussed creating Manchester North End with journalist Paul Hince I said at the time I probably would support said team. 

Not every Oldham fan has the connection to the town of Oldham to the point where they wouldn't support a mish-mash of Oldham and other local clubs. People I used to go watch Oldham with went and supported Rochdale because of a decision made at Oldham. Fans stop supporting Oldham for a variety of reasons, some are stopping supporting Oldham, by the most literal definition, because of the new owner. 

The extra 1000 or so fans we got when Scholes was first announced might well support OldDale FC. I'd agree that some Oldham fans wouldn't support the new side, and the same for Rochdale fans, but to say NO Oldham nor Rochdale fans would support the new team isn't true. 

4 minutes ago, Clifford said:

There would be enough to get it up and running. 1500 from each club would be par with what they get now. 

Would you be one of them ? I certainly wouldn’t. I think your well wide of the mark Clifford 

edit: although the medic is surprisingly supporting you I’ve just seen. 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The business I am involved in acquired a new majority shareholder three and a half years ago. The directors gave personal Wlwarranties against any nasties that may have come to light. Very general and potentially very onerous but we were confident that nothing would and it didn't. 

Quite why anyone would buy a business such a football club without taking similar precautions beats me

We then go back to who would AL have turned to for advice on buying the club in the first instance.

11 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

We then go back to who would AL have turned to for advice on buying the club in the first instance.

Allegedly, the match maker - introducing Mr. Lemsagam (who wanted to own a football club, any football club) to Mr. Corney (who wanted to sell a loss making football club without assets - regardless of his protestations - to anyone, so long as he could receive money for it & potentially remain as a Director) was Adam Pearson, the former owner of Derby County & Hull City & the present owner of Hull RFC.

1 hour ago, mikejh45 said:

You might be warmer than you realise with this.... this chap - whose Twitter profile states he is a Sports Lawyer - and Bury fan.... I’ve noted has attended quite a few of our games not featuring Bury during the time Mr. Lemsagam has been our owner... as well as supporting a statement or two...

Edited by lookersstandandy

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

I would. I just happened to support Oldham essentially as a result of a grateful patient of my Dad's from an illness 2 or 3 years before I was born. 

I live almost in the middle of Bury, Rochdale and Oldham. When people ask where I'm from I don't think I've ever said Oldham. 

When Stott and the owners of Bury and Rochdale discussed creating Manchester North End with journalist Paul Hince I said at the time I probably would support said team. 

Not every Oldham fan has the connection to the town of Oldham to the point where they wouldn't support a mish-mash of Oldham and other local clubs. People I used to go watch Oldham with went and supported Rochdale because of a decision made at Oldham. Fans stop supporting Oldham for a variety of reasons, some are stopping supporting Oldham, by the most literal definition, because of the new owner. 

The extra 1000 or so fans we got when Scholes was first announced might well support OldDale FC. I'd agree that some Oldham fans wouldn't support the new side, and the same for Rochdale fans, but to say NO Oldham nor Rochdale fans would support the new team isn't true. 

I find the idea of just ‘supporting’ another team impossible to get my head round! How do you support oldham and then decide to go and support Rochdale instead? I’d be as bold as to say I wouldn’t class people who change their team as real fans. More followers of football...

Very odd...but hey we’re all different! 

• Like 6