1 hour ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Some fans just aren’t getting this.

You get what you pay for, or in Bury’s case, you get what you remortgage for.

Not always so, there are unpolished gems about. 

Much easier for agents to bring in journeymen though. 

Edited by BP1960

29 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

There's a lot of competition for those unpolished gems though bp. At the minute it looks like we've got our pick of the French 3rd division...

The art of scouting has gone, its all agents and computer analysts analysts these days.

Don't  think many clubs actually send anyone to watch live games, its mainly video footage, which to me isn't the same as being at a match

I'm a dinosaur, so my views like Rick Holden's are apparently redundant and dismissed.

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The art of scouting has gone, its all agents and computer analysts analysts these days.

Don't  think many clubs actually send anyone to watch live games, its mainly video footage, which to me isn't the same as being at a match

I'm a dinosaur, so my views like Rick Holden's are apparently redundant and dismissed.

I see you as one of the most respected and knowledgeable posters but there is no point in pretending the world hasn't changed; it has. Ideally recruitment methods would be a blend of the old and the new but there's no point in just bemoaning the modern way. 

22 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I see you as one of the most respected and knowledgeable posters but there is no point in pretending the world hasn't changed; it has. Ideally recruitment methods would be a blend of the old and the new but there's no point in just bemoaning the modern way. 

The issue is not scouting (or the lack of it) the problem is that since Bosman, the player have become too powerful and too greedy  - even if could find them, their wage demands would be beyond what we could afford - can you imagine how much players of Ritchie’s ability would command today , when players like Menig can command £11k a week 

52 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not so. Every week there are always scouts in the main stand and for the Exeter game there were 10+. One, from a Championship side, obviously got their man and has been to at least 3 games this season watching one of 'our own'.

11 minutes ago, mad4it said:

The issue is not scouting (or the lack of it) the problem is that since Bosman, the player have become too powerful and too greedy  - even if could find them, their wage demands would be beyond what we could afford - can you imagine how much players of Ritchie’s ability would command today , when players like Menig can command £11k a week 

True, but I'm talking of players whis potential may not have been realised. There a lots about who come quite cheap a good scout or manager will find.

But as I say clubs tend to let an agent bring in players these days without the manager even seeing them.

Ps. I've passed on to the club details of a 17yo centre forward in Ireland, big, tough, scores goals. He's raw, but shows bags of potential..watch this space.

1 hour ago, mad4it said:

That's the game we are playing

Its the same rule for other clubs, and other clubs such as Accrington Stanley and Rochdale find a way to beat the market in terms of getting value for money in the transfer market.

Our recruitment policy over the last 18 months in particular has been poor the signing you used as an example highlights this. John Coleman and Keith Hill could have signed about 8 players for that all would have strengthened their side pushing them up the league and atleast 1 would have probably been sold for a fee and earned the club money back. The talent is out there, we have to find the value for money signings. Yes we we will require investment in the summer but looking at the clubs above us I don't think it will require that much to get us into the top 7 if we spend it wisely.

Edited by GlossopLatic

10 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

That's the game we are playing

Its the same rule for other clubs, and other clubs such as Accrington Stanley and Rochdale find a way to beat the market in terms of getting value for money in the transfer market.

Our recruitment policy over the last 18 months in particular has been poor the signing you used as an example highlights this. John Coleman and Keith Hill could have signed about 8 players for that all would have strengthened their side pushing them up the league and atleast 1 would have probably been sold for a fee and earned the club money back. The talent is out there if we have to find the value for money signing. Yes we we will require investment in the summer but looking at the clubs above us I don't think it will require that much to get us into the top 7 if we spend it wisely.

⬆️ 🚤 

1 hour ago, mad4it said:

It's almost a quarter of a century since Bosman (and it was unarguably right).  Can't be blaming that this long after the event.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Saturday showed that we are a long way from where we need to be and significant investment will be needed in the summer.

I'd be a lot more relaxed if I knew AL had access to funds for next year to give Scholes a chance with his own team.
Of course, we have no idea if PS has virtually a whole and competitive team he could tap up either.

We get a few wins under our belt soon too. We've only 2 wins v teams above us, yet trickily play 8 out of the 12 games v them. But  4 of the 12 are at home but are just above us.

I'm just hoping my worst fears are unfounded.

I just feel it would be the least surprising thing if this form continued to deteriorate and little sign of funds appearing, to see Scholes depart in the summer. 

47 minutes ago, Paul said:

Out of interest, how much would a scout or team of scouts cost and would there even be any finance available to fund this if we struggle already to pay the players and bills ?

Most scouts are on expenses only so quite cheap.

18 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It's almost a quarter of a century since Bosman (and it was unarguably right).  Can't be blaming that this long after the event.

Of course you can blame the Bosman ruling, player no deliberately run down their contacts to either for the club to pay them a higher wage or to allow them to move as a free agent. Prime examples  of this are Aaron Ramsey , and closer to home Chris Porter , both run down their contracts and left for nothing -prior to the Bosman rule , the clubs would have held on to their registration and forced s transfer fee .

21 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Not so.

Often scouts at Latics matches, sat in the rows of seats in front of Roy and Mike.