10 hours ago, super_blue said:

I find the idea of just ‘supporting’ another team impossible to get my head round! How do you support oldham and then decide to go and support Rochdale instead? I’d be as bold as to say I wouldn’t class people who change their team as real fans. More followers of football...

Very odd...but hey we’re all different! 

Because the cost of their season ticket went up by about 50% and the extra was due to a service they didn't want. 

One of them always had a soft spot for Rochdale and lived not far from Spotland. 

We're a strange bunch us humans aren't we? I had a bit of a row (admittedly we were both drunk) with a very good friend recently because he admitted to now following City (on the telly) after having supported Latics (albeit he hasn't been for years). It's an anathema to me.

If your club is still in existence, I cannot get my head around how/why you would ever switch allegiance. It's akin to treason in my eyes.

Now, if my club went bust (properly bust - forever), I can see myself popping along to watch the likes of Mossley but Oldham would always be in my heart.

As for the "Manchester North End" type of idea (i.e. merging current clubs rather than them having gone bust) I find it difficult to understand how anyone could comprehend such a Frankenstein club. As for numbers supporting it? Maybe three or four hundred from Oldham and a couple of hundred from Dale at the most I would have thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, rudemedic said:

The extra 1000 or so fans we got when Scholes was first announced might well support OldDale FC.  

Can't agree with that at all.

I spoke to quite a few United fans before and after the Crewe game. They'd popped along to recognise "one of their own" finally reaching the pinnacle of his career. Suspect the vast majority amongst the "extras" were curious Man U fans - they didn't hang around for very long did they?

Not too hard to imagine given the plight of so many North West clubs. As someone said on Twitter, any other business sector and you would say we are saturated and some firms will need to close down.

Both grounds are purchased for housing. The money raised is then put towards a ground which will make money 365, modern facilities and the clubs combine and are fan owned. The ground and gate should help said club become self-funding.

There is no way the lower leagues will carry the small town poor clubs like Bury, Rochdale and Oldham for much longer. The bubble is going to burst very soon. People with money are too wise to part it on such gambles so you end up with con men taking as much out as they can.

I think after a stormy start people would back it as it would have fan buy in. Just my opinion but it may well be that or bust. I'd rather watch a combined side than Latics lite playing in the same league as Ashton or Royton Town. 

4 hours ago, Clifford said:

Not too hard to imagine given the plight of so many North West clubs. As someone said on Twitter, any other business sector and you would say we are saturated and some firms will need to close down.

Both grounds are purchased for housing. The money raised is then put towards a ground which will make money 365, modern facilities and the clubs combine and are fan owned. The ground and gate should help said club become self-funding.

There is no way the lower leagues will carry the small town poor clubs like Bury, Rochdale and Oldham for much longer. The bubble is going to burst very soon. People with money are too wise to part it on such gambles so you end up with con men taking as much out as they can.

I think after a stormy start people would back it as it would have fan buy in. Just my opinion but it may well be that or bust. I'd rather watch a combined side than Latics lite playing in the same league as Ashton or Royton Town. 

Where would this new ground be built and what size would it be? For fans who rely on public transport it has to be within easy reach for all, not just drivers. It can't be on green belt or farm land.

IMO it would initially attract people who were local to the ground but the die hard fans of each club wouldn't be interested. I don't know where this new club would be placed in the pyramid of leagues, but I doubt it could be an EFL club. It would take quite a while to build up a fan base. For me i's a non starter.

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Because the cost of their season ticket went up by about 50% and the extra was due to a service they didn't want. 

One of them always had a soft spot for Rochdale and lived not far from Spotland. 

Nope...still not working for me!

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Where would this new ground be built and what size would it be? For fans who rely on public transport it has to be within easy reach for all, not just drivers. It can't be on green belt or farm land.

IMO it would initially attract people who were local to the ground but the die hard fans of each club wouldn't be interested. I don't know where this new club would be placed in the pyramid of leagues, but I doubt it could be an EFL club. It would take quite a while to build up a fan base. For me i's a non starter.

Kingsway, loads of land and already a tram stop

Hi folks! How's it hanging? Me? Been better but thanks for asking!

Just nosing around forums seeing what folks are saying about us and I came across this, couple of things I need to clarify with you if that's okay?

1. The anti bolton flag at Forest Green was an attempt to get a response from the bolton fans that had been invited to attend our match there by the FG chair. Something to do with the Doidge transfer? Poor idea by him as he underestimated the rancour between us and the wanky wanderers fans. There was some fisticuffs and a few of our idiots were arrested, shame as it was our first meeting and we now have a reputation to repair next time we meet FG. 

2. .The bolton rivalry was big both ways before the premier league days for the winkies. They tossed us to one side like an old sock and tried to foster a rivalry between them and manure. Not saying this is right but the punch ups were huge, especially in the badlands of the border, Little Lever for them and Radcliffe for us. On the day of the game the service buses between the two towns used to arrive with the windows missing! Rochdale will never come close to this, especially for old codgers like me.

3. Manchester North End? No thanks. Phoenix club first, Ramsbottom and/or Radcliffe next option. Third option is me finished with football for good. I feel like football as a sport, or a business doesn't need or want a working class boy like me anymore. I want a few beers, some banter ( not bother ) with the opposite fans, turn up 15 minutes before kickoff, suffer for 90 minutes then get on with the rest of the weekend. In other words I'm a dinosaur.

Thanks for listening, good luck and see you next season.

• Like 6

Bury case adjourned until May 15, so they will finish the regular season at least.

Sounds like the can has just been kicked a bit further down the road though. Other creditors joined the WUP and HMRC has taken over as lead petitioner, demanding £277k.  They plan to pay from  EFL money  and season ticket sales apparently. But I wonder how they'll get through the summer if they use that money up to pay creditors?

Edited by bozman
spelling

17 hours ago, BFC1885 said:

Hi folks! How's it hanging? Me? Been better but thanks for asking!

Just nosing around forums seeing what folks are saying about us and I came across this, couple of things I need to clarify with you if that's okay?

1. The anti bolton flag at Forest Green was an attempt to get a response from the bolton fans that had been invited to attend our match there by the FG chair. Something to do with the Doidge transfer? Poor idea by him as he underestimated the rancour between us and the wanky wanderers fans. There was some fisticuffs and a few of our idiots were arrested, shame as it was our first meeting and we now have a reputation to repair next time we meet FG. 

2. .The bolton rivalry was big both ways before the premier league days for the winkies. They tossed us to one side like an old sock and tried to foster a rivalry between them and manure. Not saying this is right but the punch ups were huge, especially in the badlands of the border, Little Lever for them and Radcliffe for us. On the day of the game the service buses between the two towns used to arrive with the windows missing! Rochdale will never come close to this, especially for old codgers like me.

3. Manchester North End? No thanks. Phoenix club first, Ramsbottom and/or Radcliffe next option. Third option is me finished with football for good. I feel like football as a sport, or a business doesn't need or want a working class boy like me anymore. I want a few beers, some banter ( not bother ) with the opposite fans, turn up 15 minutes before kickoff, suffer for 90 minutes then get on with the rest of the weekend. In other words I'm a dinosaur.

Thanks for listening, good luck and see you next season.

Your point 2 above is spot on. I went to Bury GS in the 70s. Stuck out a bit as a Latics fan because most of my mates, being from Bury, actually supported Bury (not as many glory-hunting Utd/City fans back then) and Bury and Bolton fans hated each other with a passion.

School football matches against the Bolton teams - Bolton School, Canon Slade and Rivington in particular - could get pretty tasty. Always made sure I wore shin pads for those! 

4 hours ago, bozman said:

Bury case adjourned until May 15, so they will finish the regular season at least.

Sounds like the can has just been kicked a bit further down the road though. Other creditors joined the WUP and HMRC has taken over as lead petitioner, demanding £277k.  They plan to pay from  EFL money  and season ticket sales apparently. But I wonder how they'll get through the summer if they use that money up to pay creditors?

Woudn't they get docked 20 poins if they go into admin. in the summer almost guaranteeing relegation? 

29 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Woudn't they get docked 20 poins if they go into admin. in the summer almost guaranteeing relegation? 

I reckon they would get a fine and points deduction if they don't fulfill fixtures as happened to Middlesbrough a few years ago, albeit for different reasons (3 point deduction and a £50k fine). 

6 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

12 isn’t it? 

I think so. And it would be applied next season now.... if they still exist.

I was just reading some more stuff on Bolton's situation. Someone claiming to know about the due diligence process says the actual debts are over £20million more than were being suggested.

Looking more like administration for them the longer it drags on.

31 minutes ago, bozman said:

I think so. And it would be applied next season now.... if they still exist.

I was just reading some more stuff on Bolton's situation. Someone claiming to know about the due diligence process says the actual debts are over £20million more than were being suggested.

Looking more like administration for them the longer it drags on.

Probably the best outcome for them really, not sure how they fund it though.