Paul Scholes: Is Man Utd legend making an early impact at Oldham?

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

No doubt he’s made an impact regarding attendances but I’m beginning to think a much bigger impact would have been apparent had Wild continued until the end of the season and Scholes announced in May where his name alone would have created maximum interest.

After the 4-1 opener the Scholes effect has not continued as we would have hoped, mainly because of a lack of quality players in key positions.

The season is ending on a low note and not in a way that will interest our lapsed fans and potential new ST holders to come on board next season.

If we are to encourage a dormant fan base to get off their arses and come back then we really need a statement of intent from AL regarding a new pitch, player recruitment,and his vision for next season and beyond!!

Renewals and early bird prices will have lapsed before this season is over and it’s during this period that we need to show the fans that we’re going to have a real go at a promotion campaign.

Come on AL, OPEN YER GOB!!!!!😡😡

If he had been brought in at the end of the season he would have no idea if these players are good enough or can play the way he wants. I see no benefit in leaving his appointment until the end of the season. Get him in now let him learn the ropes for the rest of this season so we can put a team in place next season to have a go. 

If you want bums on seats you need a winning team. If you want a winning team you need a plan to get one.

I see no benefit in Pete Wild being the manager until the end of the season he was doing 2 jobs and their was no way he was taking us up, you are just kicking the can down the road. Right now I would rather Scholes was in charge being given the chance and learn now rather than the start of next season.

• Like 2

Listen...he’s been watching the team regularly as a spectator and will have had a pretty good idea of his potential retained list before he took the job.

All I’m saying is that by the end of this season if results remain poor the Scholes effect will have worn off for the majority of armchair fans.

Rightly or wrongly what happens between now and May will determine how many fans commit to the cause.

Scholes coming in now is right. He needs to see everything about the club; players and their mentality’s, staff, ground, pitch and budget. 

We haven’t gone into a season with a settled manager and kept them the following full season. I’m expecting a massive turn over in players and rightly so. Latics fans are ridiculous to think keeping PW till the end of the season would be beneficial. It’s Time as fans we finally gave a manager some time. Changing a manager nearly every season isn’t good for anyone and time we all accepted stability needs to happen. 

Might not be what we all want but think the club will be better for it long term. 

Edited by adamoafc
  • Like 3

Scholesy  will know what needs to be done and will change things around in the close seasonso and I am willing to wait and see what happens next season when he has had the opportunity of  imposing himself on the team he wants  rather than the one he has inherited. 

He can't be blamed for his players stupid mistakes  and some of the players have to accept that. 

Edited by Flemboy
  • Like 1

We've got a terrible squad.....Maybe 14/15 decent enough players at this level but that is about it.

For me, we're starting to try and play football and if you look at Baxter in particular, he's got a new lease of life. Nepo pinged a crossfield ball on Saturday which I haven't seen the likes of from him since he arrived. It appears they've been given more of a licence to go play the game. We tire at the back end of games and because we have no quality on the bench it's a toss-up between pushing players and them tiring and switching them with poorer options. Better decision making by the players (It's not 100% players and the manager has allowed us to sit too deep at times) and we're probably 5 points better off than we are now and everybody is praising them all.

We've played one game on a semi-decent pitch since he came in and that was against one of the most in-form teams in the country. If we were lumping it up to O'Grady on his own at home to the likes of Stevenage, i'd be concerned. As it stands, I'm happy to let Scholes try and develop a style and then build around that come the summer...

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Scholesy  will know what needs to be done and will change things around in the close seasonso and I am willing to wait and see what happens next season when he has had the opportunity of  imposing himself on the team he wants  rather than the one he has inherited. 

He can't be blamed for his players stupid mistakes  and some of the players have to accept that. 

Missilou was naive in not clearing the ball upfield, but the constant failure to attack the ball from corners to the far post has cost us dearly this and previous seasons.

The players must have been told of this weakness.

Clarke and Edmundson are competitive on the  ground are beaten too often in the air from crosses.

All opposition teams are aware of this and Cambridge certainly will be on Saturday with some tall players in the side

The keeper also needs to come off his line more and command the area.

As someone said Pogs was great at that with good timing and positionsl sense, something I hope Iverson will improve on.

I'd say PS will bring in some players in key positions next season which should see a marked improvement.

On the question of fitness, too many are fading after an hour and PS must utilise his subs better  

Branger was ideal to bring on last Saturday.

Nepo has been the sharpest of all and far better wide than at full back. 

Edited by BP1960

We are starting to play football and have the confidence to know that we are allowed to do so.

We may sneak the play offs, we may not. But i truly believe that next year we will piss this league and the one above the following year by 20 points.

#WALKTHELEAGUES

Edited by L1onheartNew
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

We are starting to play football and have the confidence to know that we are allowed to do so.

We may sneak the play offs, we may not. But i truly believe that next year we will piss this league and the one above the following year by 20 points.

#WALKTHELEAGUES

I’ll have a pint of what you’re  on😆😆

Edited by oafc1955

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’ll have a pint of what you’re  on😆😆

On its way.

The only thing we are short of is a natural goalscorer. The likes of Doyle would bag for fun in this team or at least create the space for others to do so. 

This would be more than enough to paper over the cracks of our current lack of concentration in seeing out games. It would also give the defence more time to mature.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

#WALKTHELEAGUES

Defo.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:23 AM, L1onheartNew said:

#WALKTHELEAGUES

Love it! Magnificent!!