Future of the Prediction League

@Benja, @Ex_pat and @youngen are all, very generously trying to reject their winnings and pay themselves into next season's competition and make donations to OWTB and charity.  Much appreciated, gents.

Which forces me to come out and say it, I don't whether there will be a prediction league next season.  I've received far more complaints this season than in the past, some of them pretty 'forceful' in tone and, quite frankly, I'm not sure I can be arsed with the hassle.  I'm not very comfortable handling people's money and allocating out prizes when some members have been seriously unhappy with the rules and how the league has been run.

I wasn't going to say anything until the playoffs were over and done with but, with people trying to pay themselves into next season's competition, it seems only fair to do it now.

I'll mull things over and may instead run a free competition (no benefit for OWTB or charity but no concerns about people kicking off when prizes are at stake).

I also need to speak to @Bristolatic who I know was feeling similar to me a little while back.  If he's out, I'm out. 

Anyway, thanks a lot to everyone who's played this season.

That would be a huge shame, really enjoy the prediction league, and cannot for the life of me understand why people would get upset at how its run considering its managed for free!

Who are these people? Lets gang up on em!

• Like 2

It's staggering to hear that you're getting complaints to that level @Stevie_J, and a real shame that you and @Bristolatic might be in a position where you feel it's more trouble than it's worth to carry on. I run a very small prediction comp between a few mates as we all live in different places and support teams in different leagues.  It's very basic, but still takes a lot of time to process it all.  So I have a huge appreciation for the efforts of you both to keep this running, and not only that, to increase the numbers each year.  Also, @lookersstandandy does a sterling job banging the recruitment drum every summer.  Maybe if he promised to stop suggesting new rules that would that help?! 😂

It's one of the more enjoyable aspects of this board (and being a Latics fan in general!) at the moment, so I'm hoping you're able to carry on whether it be in this guise or a return to the amateur era.  And, as others have previously, I'd happily volunteer some time to help out if it meant lightening the load at all.

Thanks for another great competition this season :chubb:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It really is a shame that @Stevie_J and I had to have this discussion a little while ago.

Although there are prizes at stake, irrespective of what the winners decide to do with their winnings, it is a competition designed for us to have some fun. 

When a line is crossed, it takes away the enjoyment and is completely unnecessary. We willingly give up some of our spare time to run it; needing help or assistance isn't the issue.

All we ask is that those taking part do so in the correct manner, have some fun, exchange a bit of light hearted banter and just generally enjoy ourselves away from the "pressures" of supporting a 4th division football team.

Steve and I will have a chat soon and decide the best way to go. In the meantime, good luck to all those in the play offs and remember to PM @Stevie_J with your second leg predictions.

Ta ta for now.

• Like 1

I’m amazed and appalled that there’s been such unpleasant complaints. You and Bristol make the PL a thoroughly enjoyable and well run aspect of OWTB. You don’t deserve such criticism and please remember that there’s enormous gratitude from most of us. 

I can’t help but think that the apparent aggression that’s been shown is consistent with the unpleasantness that’s become part of OWTB elsewhere. Debate and discussion too often degenerates into something that I’d walk away from if it was in public. 

Anyway, at a time of general misery surrounding Latics , we need the PL to cheer us up (even when my hoped for  first scorer misses a sitter. 

• Like 1

Make it a rule that any such nonsense results in immediate expulsion from the league and OWTB as a whole.  What is wrong with people?  I wonder if anyone who has made such complaints is man or woman enough to either come on here and apologise or try to justify themelves.

• Like 5

As above, shocked that there are people who have made you question whether running this is worth it or not.

For what it’s worth I’ve really enjoyed playing this year and am grateful for those who organise. I’m sure it’s a hell of a commitment.

A sad reflection of some of the behaviour on other areas of this board and as said above, anyone who’s abusive in any capacity should just be chucked out no question.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. 

It’s been my first season in the prediction league and it’s been the most enjoyable part of the season by some distance. 

I appreciate the time and effort that is put into sorting the tables and so on. 

I hope it returns next season but understand if it’s decided that the hassle makes it not worth the effort by those who put in more time than just making a prediction. 

• Like 2