Other teams results

Obviously I only support Oldham. 

But I follow the results of some other teams for various reasons. 

Anyone else, and how did they fare? 

In no particular order. 

Tonbridge Angels. Nearest club. 

Promoted to National League South after controversial Super Play off. Will be on same league as arch rivals Maidstone United. 

Raith Rovers. Old school friends late  Dad from there. 

Lost relegation play off to Scots Champ. 

Recreativo Huelva. 

Was on holiday there and team stayed at hotel (despite it being a home game) when due to play Barcelona. 

Dropped 2 leagues to Segunda B (4 divisions) since and struggled. 

Champions but  have to play a 2 legged play off with another Segunda B 2 champion. 2 out of the 4 go up, and 2 others  via play offs, but like the Rugbny League, and a bit of a farce. Not sure where else youa re champions but very possibly don't get promoted.
They are the oldest club in Spain, founded by a Scottis engineer for Rio Tinto.

Add in Bologna, as we went last year.
Were deep in relegation trouble before apppointing well travelled  Sinisa Mihalovic, and have been in promotion form since.

Edited by singe

Brentford, Reading, Leeds, Leyton Orient as I have good mates who follow them.

Spurs as they were the team I followed when I was very young

Ajax because I love their kit

Boca Juniors because I love their story and their kit.

Most would know how the season went for English sides - Ajax won the Eredivisie and Boca finished third in the Argentina Primera League.

Edited by TheBigDog
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Brentford, Reading, Leeds, Leyton Orient as I have good mates who follow them.

Spurs as they were the team I followed when I was very young

Ajax because I love their kit

Boca Juniors because I love their story

The others we know, how did Boca get on?

3 minutes ago, singe said:

The others we know, how did Boca get on?

I edited the original post when I realised I’d forgotten the season summary. As you say, the English clubs we know - Ajax champions and Boca third in their respective leagues.

A good Away day next season at Leyton Orient too 😀

• Like 1

Support: Oldham

Go to watch: FC Zurich (closest team)

FCZ could yet sneak into Europe going into Saturday's final game having been worrying about relegation until only a couple of weeks ago.  Such is the nature of the Super League.

Lost 3-0 at Luzern last night which didn't help the cause and now need to win on Saturday and hope other results go their way.  Barring a miracle it's been a fairly disappointing season.  Grasshoppers are down though, so happy days.

Tenuous link to Latics - Mohamed Maouche's younger brother Yassin plays for FCZ's reserves.

Ajax - load of mates there after meeting on ROAMs stag do and they're a great excuse for a trip to Amsterdam. Was nice to see them get some hype this season. A bit like Frankfurt, we definitely got the best of the "club swap" deal.

Viking FK - partners family support them, bounced straight back up with promotion to the Eliteserien last season as Champions and started season well, although got hammered 5-1 off Molde on Monday night.

Fremad Amager - . Lived round corner from stadium for 2 years and ventured over a few times. 1 stand, 2 small terraces and a fence around the pitch, but the atmosphere was always great. A true working mans club in Division 1 (2nd tier) of Danish football. Started quite poorly, but find themselves in 3rd place with 1 game to go (away to Viborg in 2nd). If they finish 3rd they qualify for promotion playoffs.

Union Berlin - Former work colleague was a huge fan and attended a game with him. German football is so good to attend. They beat St Pauli 4-1 that day, and have just qualified for the playoff match vs Stuttgart for promotion to Bundesliga starting tonight.

All in all, my other teams keep me happy by being successful, whilst OAFC fuck it all up.

4 minutes ago, lalalajpkalala said:

Support: Oldham

Go to watch: FC Zurich (closest team)

FCZ could yet sneak into Europe going into Saturday's final game having been worrying about relegation until only a couple of weeks ago.  Such is the nature of the Super League.

Lost 3-0 at Luzern last night which didn't help the cause and now need to win on Saturday and hope other results go their way.  Barring a miracle it's been a fairly disappointing season.  Grasshoppers are down though, so happy days.

Tenuous link to Latics - Mohamed Maouche's younger brother Yassin plays for FCZ's reserves.

👍
#SwissLads

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

I don't really follow any other results these days but when we sold Andy Goram in 87 I followed the results of Hibs for some reason and continued to do so for years after he'd joined Rangers.

I have a soft spot for Hibs too for the same reason

Farnborough FC (was Farnborough Town), as it's where I grew up, mostly, and saw a good few games those years.

Brescia, as I always liked Gheorghe Hagi when he was there.

Dunfermline Athletic, as a girl I knew at university was a mad fan of them.

St Albans City, as they're the closest side to me now.

The 2 teams I've seen in Spain - Mallorca and Malaga - are 4th and 5th in the Segunda and Cadiz - who are probably the Spanish team I have the biggest soft spot for - are 6th. 

Would love to see Cadiz in La Liga. 

Mainly because of this bloke. He's God round there - never seen hero worship like it...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

The 2 teams I've seen in Spain - Mallorca and Malaga - are 4th and 5th in the Segunda and Cadiz - who are probably the Spanish team I have the biggest soft spot for - are 6th. 

Would love to see Cadiz in La Liga. 

Mainly because of this bloke. He's God round there - never seen hero worship like it...

Wow - what a player- similar movements to Maradona 

• Like 1

Torquay because the Mrs supports them... Promoted to Conference this year (under Gary Johnson) - Torquay, not the Mrs... I've seen them play twice at Wembley too😳. Greenock Morton because I have a very close friend who comes from there. We alternate trips to see Latics and the Ton. As a consequence we are both perpetually miserable.

Random teams that I've seen abroad and still look out for them. Kartalspor (Turkey), Real Betis (Spain) and Atalanta (Italy).

I've always loved Sampdoria from way back in the late 80's and early 90's David Platt, Gianlua Vialli and Attilio Lombardo era. The season they won Serie A last (1990-91 I think) I followed it religiously on B Sky B and they were incredible. High up on my bucket list is to visit the Stadio Luigi Ferraris, hopefully next season. 

Avai are a Brazilian football team who are a bit of a yo-yo side bouncing between Serie A and Serie B for the past few years. A mate of mine, Blackpool John goes out to follow them all around the country every 3-4 month or so. I follow them for that reason alone.

Quite a fan of Argentinian football so the teams I sort of keep an eye on or like are Racing, Banfield and Boca. Another bucket list jobbie is to spend a week out in Buenos Aires cramming in as many footy matches as possible.

On these shores I have soft spots for Hibs and Sunderland.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:54 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Newport. Their European nights were a highlight of my week. Very pleased to see them back in the league.

Grimsby, my dad's other team. He was born in Cleethorpes under the shadow of Blundell Park. Equally happy to see them back.

At the risk of vilification, RBLeipzig. Nothing to do with Red Bull but I worked with Phil the brother of the chairman of SSV back in the early nineties.

4 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

Newport. Their European nights were a highlight of my week. Very pleased to see them back in the league.

Grimsby, my dad's other team. He was born in Cleethorpes under the shadow of Blundell Park. Equally happy to see them back.

At the risk of vilification, RBLeipzig. Nothing to do with Red Bull but I worked with Phil the brother of the chairman of SSV back in the early nineties.

Fuck Red Bull. 

• Like 1

In England - Chester, the closest club to where I grew up, and despite once being a proud league club they seem to love struggling even more than Latics.

Germany - Frankfurt and Wiesbaden, as I've been over to watch their games.

Since living in Japan I've moved around a lot so picked up a few sides to look out for...

Suzuka Unlimited, closest team to where the wife comes from.

Nara Club, the closest team to me at the moment so watch them a lot with a number of other English guys.

FC Osaka, a team that might be relocating about 10 minutes from where I live now. 

Kyoto Sanga, a Japanese friend supports them and I found out they are the only 'biggish' team in my region that didn't used to be the company team of a huge Japanese multinational corporation. A rare 'proper' football club with a long history.  

Obviously support Oldham & have done so for over 30 years now even though I had no connection to the club nor the town.  Mixture of a bet, which resulted in me following Oldham’s matches, and seeing them as the away team when attending matches with by older siblings etc.

I love watching football regardless of who’s playing but I do kind of follow the scores of -

Derby - lived there for 4 years and attended most of their home games 

Villa - most of my in-laws support so only follow to wind them up when they lose.  Needless to say I want Derby to win  

Huddersfield - work a lot there and our office was right near the stadium so cannot avoid taking about this club 

Tamworth - my hometown club albeit non-league.   Like Oldham, they flirted with success and was close to league football but been relegated a number of times since

On 5/23/2019 at 12:09 PM, ghostofcecere said:

I have a soft spot for Hibs too for the same reason

There used to be a really close connection with Latics and Hibs.

Goes back to the pre-season tournament on the Isle of Man under Big Joe. There was us, Hibs, Bury, Stoke and a few others from memory. Hibs and us had by far the largest contingent of fans on the island and we developed a great rapport. Tony Henry was on the ale with us the night before one game - and surprisingly had a shocker the next day!

Me and my mate had a drinking/pool competition with a few Hibs lads - one of them ended up in hospital for a few days with liver problems (!), another in A/E because he walked straight into a lampost and we waltzed off back to our hotel chatting about "hard drinking scotsmen!". All very childish I know but great memories. (by the way - the pool competition ended England 10 - Scotland 0).