Trust need to take action

adamoafc

‘Created by our fans in 2004 to support our club; run by volunteers who are Latics mad;  and here to protect the long term interests of Oldham Athletic’

The above is taken from your website. 

Fans have turned against the owner, our first game was 1000 down on the first game of last season, protests currently being planned, North Stand facilities an absolute joke, our exec lounge package is now provided from a portacabin on stilts, ST sales down by 800 yet the Trust still doesn’t come out in support of the fans who they are apparently working to support. 

This is time for action, time for the trust directors to put aside their 3% for the good of the club and fight against AL and ML. There is no direction from the trust which is showing massively, you are weak. If you aren’t up to it volunteers or not, resign. 

I’m sick to death of the excuses you come out with, our club is going to ruin because of your reluctance to get out of the bed you are currently sharing with AL. It’s got to stop. 

You are are here to ‘protect the long term interests of latics’ well start showing it. 

The exec lounge package being provided by the portakabin on stilts is what we had in the Championship. We did have 2 of them though. 

If the facilities and service are still the same, it won't be that far removed from similar services we could have provided in the North Stand. Or any other football club for that matter. 

We won't be able to accommodate the same numbers of fans, that is the only problem. 

We should stop expecting the Trust to ruffle feathers. I’ve been guilty of getting annoyed at the organisation (never the people) myself in the past but ultimately they are completely powerless to stop the owners. Giving up their 3% would be silly imo.

We need to get an independent supporters Trust set up who aren’t limited in what they can say/do. 

Influence with any owner of our Club from the Trust doesn't come from being a 3% shareholder

The current Trust membership is only c350 supporters

Should the Trust have a membership of over c1,000 supporters, I would suggest any owner would be more interested in its ideas and opinions as it would be clearly more representative of our supporter numbers

Lots of posts currently on forums and social media about protesting but lets be brutally honest, we don't have enough supporters that can even be bothered to join our supporter organisation specifically created ''to protect the long term interests of Oldham Athletic’

We seriously need to get the Trust membership numbers up, it costs less than one match ticket and a pie !

I really do think a Trust with greater supporter numbers is our best chance  :OASISscarf:

31 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Influence with any owner of our Club from the Trust doesn't come from being a 3% shareholder

The current Trust membership is only c350 supporters

Should the Trust have a membership of over c1,000 supporters, I would suggest any owner would be more interested in its ideas and opinions as it would be clearly more representative of our supporter numbers

Lots of posts currently on forums and social media about protesting but lets be brutally honest, we don't have enough supporters that can even be bothered to join our supporter organisation specifically created ''to protect the long term interests of Oldham Athletic’

We seriously need to get the Trust membership numbers up, it costs less than one match ticket and a pie !

I really do think a Trust with greater supporter numbers is or best chance  :OASISscarf:

What would they do differently?

Al clearly doesn't give a toss about the supporters as it is, so why would that change if we members of the Trust?

I only joined the Trust this year and did attend the March Trust/Fans meeting

Fully appreciate like anything else, the Trust has history and to some supporters it may not have a glowing past, but for me there is nothing else out there remotely close to being able to help our supporters. That's why I joined up.

I think its like walking on eggshells for them trying to liaise with the owner without getting on the wrong side of him but at least they have opened up communication lines with him

On a positive note, the Trust has recently been given access to view the clubs accounts. No one else has.

Just a request for clarity 

Is the Trust "still following a process with regard to the relationship with our owner?" 

I seem to recall that the Trust had been in touch with the EFL about some of the issues involving the owner.

In my opinion and that of many others I expect, the owner's stewardship of the good ship Oldham Athletic is less than professional in some areas and I note the growing disquiet amongst our supporters. We are seeing other clubs in dire peril after they have left their owner(s) chart a reckless path unhindered and one or two may pay the ultimate price.

In my opinion the supporters of Oldham Athletic, hopefully in tandem with the Trust, should make representations to the owner and EFL to obtain any assurance we can that the business is still operational and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future under the owner's stewardship. Similarly should the owner refuse to meet or discuss quite reasonable concerns, surely the next step is to make contact with other clubs whose dealings with owners have resulted in change to learn whatever we can from their experiences.         

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Not a chance based on their form to date - impotent.

They are our only supporter organisation that has access to the club boardroom. As supporters we have nothing remotely that close. 

I stand by my original post that the Trust is currently the only voice for our supporters but its influence is limited by its current membership numbers 

Just dont see why frustrated supporters dont chuck £10 in to join and give them at least a fighting chance

Numbers matter 

2 hours ago, tGWB said:

They are our only supporter organisation that has access to the club boardroom. As supporters we have nothing remotely that close. 

I stand by my original post that the Trust is currently the only voice for our supporters but its influence is limited by its current membership numbers 

Just dont see why frustrated supporters dont chuck £10 in to join and give them at least a fighting chance

Numbers matter 

Because people don’t have faith the the Trust’s voice will be strong enough or focused in the right way. Or that they will act quickly enough. 

IMO. 

13 minutes ago, maddog said:

Because people don’t have faith the the Trust’s voice will be strong enough or focused in the right way. Or that they will act quickly enough. 

IMO. 

I'd be bolder - it appears that the Trust is pursuing a strategy of appeasement. The current mood amongst supporters (those with a brain anyway) appears more in favour of conflict.

5 hours ago, tGWB said:

They are our only supporter organisation that has access to the club boardroom.  

And over the years that has achieved what?

My own view is that The Trust (in the past) squandered over £200k of hard earned money on a 3% shareholding, which is worth diddly squat via anybody's reckoning.

20 hours ago, wiseowl said:

My own view is that The Trust (in the past) squandered over £200k of hard earned money on a 3% shareholding, which is worth diddly squat via anybody's reckoning.

I've explained this to you more than once. The vast majority of that £200k was nothing to do with bucket shaking etc. It was money essentially raised by the club but kept separate, absolutely legitimately, so that it wouldn't get swallowed up by creditors of the Moore regime. Big Gordon was the main driver. 

On 9/5/2019 at 6:32 PM, maddog said:

MO. 

On 9/5/2019 at 9:31 PM, wiseowl said:

Come on lads . . 

Huffing and Puffing isn’t going to blow the bad wolfs house down 

If the Trust membership was much bigger  does it not just make sense that their influence would be much greater.

I really do think theyre taking the right steps (access to the boardroom / liaising with the Football Supporters Association) as it gives them a better chance of helping 

keep tabs on our Club and gets some some legal advice in their armoury should the situation deteriorate further.

Just maybe, they might  even become a positive influence on our owner.

We dont have significant supporter numbers actively joined up to groups, certainly not above early hundreds which is disappointing considering the last decade or so.

You would think we would have a few thousand signed up to a least something to show our support. 

• 2 months later...

Dear Trust

Can you confirm or refute the rumors that the Oldham Athletic board have issued or are planning to issue, more shares?

The rumor continues that there are now going to be 20,000 shares and that The Trust has been offered 597 B shares so as to maintain the 3% shareholding.

If the rumors are true, did the Oldham Board have to approve this, and which way did the Trust's Director on the board vote?

If the rumors are true, why has the trust not kept the fans informed about such an important piece of information ie that 20,000 Oldham Shares were being issued, and the trust will now hold 600.

Archived