Fleetwood (A)

We actually have a match tonight, albeit one in a trophy that's barely worth mentioning.

Not really bothered if we win or lose, but interested to see the team we put out.  I'd give a few of the fringe players opportunities:

Woods

Mills

Hamer

Stott

Smith-Brown

McHale

Maouche

Sylla

Eagles

Wilson

Adams

We don't much depth in quality but we're shorter on numbers than I originally thought too (players leaving, injured or AWOL).  Tonight should give these fringe players the chance to show that they might actually be useful between now and January.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, the_mighty_bosh said:

We actually have a match tonight, albeit one in a trophy that's barely worth mentioning.

Not really bothered if we win or lose, but interested to see the team we put out.  I'd give a few of the fringe players opportunities:

Woods

Mills

Hamer

Stott

Smith-Brown

McHale

Maouche

Sylla

Eagles

Wilson

Adams

We don't much depth in quality but we're shorter on numbers than I originally thought too (players leaving, injured or AWOL).  Tonight should give these fringe players the chance to show that they might actually be useful between now and January.

I'd make sure our better players start as we've no game at the weekend

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Stop it. Now.

Eh? Why? It’s the checkatrade or whatever it’s called these days. I genuinely would have gone all day without knowing we had a game today if it wasn’t for this post. Thoroughly pointless and degrading competition since the intro of youth sides. I’d hazard a guess that way over half of our fanbase are absolutely not bothered what happens tonight. 

18 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Not really bothered if we win or lose

15 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Stop it. Now.

5 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Eh? Why? It’s the checkatrade or whatever it’s called these days. I genuinely would have gone all day without knowing we had a game today if it wasn’t for this post. Thoroughly pointless and degrading competition since the intro of youth sides. I’d hazard a guess that way over half of our fanbase are absolutely not bothered what happens tonight. 

I was merely drawing attention to the fact that tmb, who claimed to be ‘not really bothered if we win or lose’ had started a thread about the game, taken the time to suggest a starting line-up and discuss an approach to the game.

’not really bothered’? 🤔 Yeah, right.

37 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I was merely drawing attention to the fact that tmb, who claimed to be ‘not really bothered if we win or lose’ had started a thread about the game, taken the time to suggest a starting line-up and discuss an approach to the game.

’not really bothered’? 🤔 Yeah, right.

The benefit I see from this Trophy is that it gives members of our squad a chance to build confidence, stake a claim for a first XI spot and maybe give the team an option that we previously didn't have for more important matches (pretty much any other match apart from this competition). 

I'm interested in how we approach the game and of course I wouldn't complain if we win, but I'm really not bothered if we lose tonight because the competition is terrible and doesn't deserve our respect.  It's about the performance of the team and individual players rather than the end result.

I also like topics that discuss on-field matters, which is why I started this one.

In spite of my boycott - I`m going over to watch this tonight. I made a promise to someone previously and won't let them down. As it's my first game since the first few of the season, will be interested to see how we perform.

7 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

In spite of my boycott - I`m going over to watch this tonight. I made a promise to someone previously and won't let them down. As it's my first game since the first few of the season, will be interested to see how we perform.

Don't get your hopes up too high.

7 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Scab. 

Only joking before anyone gets on their fucking high horse. 

33 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I’ll be watching on iFollow. Let’s compare notes at the end of the game 😀

1 minute ago, Londonboy said:

Decent side Fleetwood. Anywhere near full strength and they will dick us...

Fleetwood Town defender, and former Oldham Athletic captain spoke ahead of Wednesday's Leasing.com Trophy match against the Latics.

Clarke left Oldham over the summer, having picked up their Player of the Season award for a second season running.

The Cod Army go into the game third in Group B, and they will guarantee a place in the knock-out stages with a win inside 90 minutes.

If the game is drawn, Town can still progress, providing they win on penalties where an extra point is up for grabs.

Here’s what defender Peter Clarke had to say ahead of the game:

On coming up against his former club…

“Anytime you come up against a former club, it’s always a game you look forward to. It’s one that I’m certainly looking forward to and it’s one we want to win, we need to win to progress.

“They’ve changed from my time there. Looking back 12 months ago we had a really, really capable squad, a strong squad. Through the course of the season for various reasons, the group of players moved on, and even since the end of the last campaign, there has been a lot of outgoings and similar in terms of the incomings.

“Personally I don’t know all of the players they’ve got there but they’ll certainly pose threats up front and in the wide areas. But we’ve got threats of our own that we will aim to utilise and give ourselves the best chance.”

On the results different permutations...

“As a group we are aware of the different permutations. We’ll be set up, we’ll be ready to go into the game to win it in the 90 minutes.

“If it takes longer then so be it, but all the work we’ve done over the last couple of days will give ourselves the best opportunity to win the game.

“From a personal point of view, you go into every game wanting to win. Tomorrow evening will be no different.

“We’ll prepare in the best possible way we can. The aim is to always give the best account of ourselves and when we do that we give ourselves a real opportunity of winning no matter who we’re playing.”

On the dream of playing at Wembley...

“When you start off in the group stages, I suppose it’s not always at the forefront of everyone’s mind, but ultimately the final of this competition is played at Wembley.

“People go through a long career and don’t necessarily get the opportunity to play there. It’s a real opportunity for us as a group, and to go to Wembley and play there is a fantastic occasion for any footballer.”

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

At least that will be three of us , my daughter and i are going although to be fair it is only a 20 minute bus ride from our houses to Highbury !!

strongest team possible tonight should be only option with no game saturday so we can work on things. outclassed for long spells saturday agaisnt pt opposition last saturday so we have plenty to work on. If players cant make our team at the moment they arent ever going to be good enough (barring the young lads). we should be working on imporving our team so ill be further annoyed if Dino goes with a changed team.

Archived