Fleetwood (A)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

And who is going to choose the new personnel, the same one that has assembled this shower

I hope not!! The manager should be able to choose his own players and be allowed to assemble his own squad. After all, it’s the manager who gets sacked if the team doesn’t perform.

2 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Morais as well. 

Can't believe he's left the back four alone, Fleetwood will be gunning for eight or nine. 

Morias to me well of the pace most of the season.. Zeus distribution very poor hes not as good as people make him out to be..Hamer and Stott very poor together, Mcann certainly had an off night.. Sylla ran around alot but not actually achieving much..Emmerson , why the hell did Dino play him on his own against an experienced CB pairing?? Scrap this 541 formation please! 

Very poor we got what we deserved tonight which was nothing , but another good hiding.

So much about last night was poor/weird.  Dino after the match bemoaning having to play Morais.  What? How about instead of playing a tired Morais in behind a 15 year old lone striker, play any of the 3 strikers on the bench up front with Emmerson and leave Morais out?  442, diamond, 352, anything slightly different.  To leave a young kid so isolated like that is appalling.

I'm not normally one to care about formations, but this total obsession with a 451 is bizarre. It rarely changes. Can I ask a question of those who watch us regularly... seeing as this formation has been in place for most of the season, how often have we either looked secure in defence, threatening in attack or controlling in midfield?

30 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

So much about last night was poor/weird.  Dino after the match bemoaning having to play Morais.  What? How about instead of playing a tired Morais in behind a 15 year old lone striker, play any of the 3 strikers on the bench up front with Emmerson and leave Morais out?  442, diamond, 352, anything slightly different.  To leave a young kid so isolated like that is appalling.

I'm not normally one to care about formations, but this total obsession with a 451 is bizarre. It rarely changes. Can I ask a question of those who watch us regularly... seeing as this formation has been in place for most of the season, how often have we either looked secure in defence, threatening in attack or controlling in midfield?

Morais, McCann and Eagles all tired after a 3 day rest...what a poor excuse.

A suggestion for the next transfer window, bring in fit enthusiastic strong minded players with ability like Smith.

Playing 15yo Emmerson on his own up front against Peter Clarke was a disaster we all saw coming, why didn't the manager?

He'd have been better off helping his youth team mates overcome Curzon Ashton rather than this poor option.

Pete wild said in a recent interview there is no difference between none league and league 2. If that's true were royaly fucked. And whilst I agree, changing the manager wont  necessarily fix things. we were improving under bandie and dino himself had said hes no tactician. When your players are shit, u need something to give u the edge, taticts, system, hard work, something other than actual skill, which we lack.

4 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Pete wild said in a recent interview there is no difference between none league and league 2. If that's true were royaly fucked. And whilst I agree, changing the manager wont  necessarily fix things. we were improving under bandie and dino himself had said hes no tactician. When your players are shit, u need something to give u the edge, taticts, system, hard work, something other than actual skill, which we lack.

On way back from an away game this season I spoke to an orient fan who had come with a latics fan, he said the conference is a much higher quality than league two on his viewing

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

If he's no tactician that's not very encouraging, also if he can't motivate the players in what he described as a must win game to show some interest we are indeed doomed.

Is he losing interest himself with this regime is another question?

46 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

In my opinion there has been a few games where we haven't set the game alight but not looked in massive danger at the back and controlled the game in midfield to a certain extent. But then it gets to the final third and Nothing happens. 451 is designed to turn in to 253 when attacking with wingers up front and full backs on the wing. But we play with 5 in midfield get the ball passing about then move forward down the wing. But it's always the lone striker taking it up the wing, or the wingers taking it and no other player joining in the box. Genuinely feel sorry for wilson and segbe who run and run and come off the pitch having left everything on it, just feeding on scraps and channel runs. 

The annoying thing is, we played 442 with those two up front and won. Then drew. Then switched back to 451 but everytime we made subs to put two up front we improved. Not rocket science to see that 442 or even 352 would be better for us

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If he's no tactician that's not very encouraging, also if he can't motivate the players in what he described as a must win game to show some interest we are indeed doomed.

Is he losing interest himself with this regime is another question?

Fleetwood were around 4/9 for the win last time I looked, maybe Marmsy and others don't understand probabilities either...

We got played off the park by a 6th tier side at the weekend, so we’re obviously not going to be able to compete with a 3rd tier club. The majority of player’s levels in our squad is probably the conference north with very few exceptions. Why not have 22 quality league two players as opposed to 40 utter shite players on the books, that’s on ‘I’ve done a good job’ Mo.

10 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

You can blame the manager all you want. Get another one in if you think it will help. Personally I don’t think it would change anything because collectively this group of players is simply not good enough.

If they lack fight and desire then that is purely and simply down to them! 100%
They are supposed to be professional footballers! This is what they’ve always wanted to do isn’t it??

Changing the manager AGAIN won’t make a scrap of difference. 
Its a change in some of the playing personnel that’s needed here!

45 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Changing a manager can make a difference as has been proven on numerous occasions down the years. However I agree that simply doing that again at Latics is not the solution.

What has been evident, to me at least, since the disappearance of Banide and rapid appointment of Maamria is the gradual change in the attitude and body language of the players. Players like Eagles and McCann suddenly appear to be going through the motions. Sylla seems to be going the way of Fane with his effectiveness on the pitch. It’s as if any confidence has been knocked out of the team.

If Dino really did admit that he is no tactician, then I think we are seeing that in his structure and style of play. He dabbled with two up top but seems to have returned to playing a lone striker. Last night was a case in point. Stick a fifteen year old up front on his own and lump the ball forward. 

Yes he can only work with the players he has available. Yes he has a number of injuries. But the last two performances have been embarrassing.

Maybe the only solution is to change both playing personnel and management? And that may only happen if the two right at the top are somehow ousted...

Sad times at BP.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

We've looked better in 442 under Maamria, because there is more chance the aimless punts forward stick and the opponents can't push up the pitch as far. 

In 451, we've ended up with the opponents defence able to push right up, and so we keep getting outnumbered, losing the ball and getting put under more pressure.  It might look like more security, but we spend the entire match chasing the ball and the initiative. 

451 can work great if you can hog possession, attack from midfield or can do a high press. We can't do any of those. 

21 hours ago, wiseowl said:

In spite of my boycott - I`m going over to watch this tonight. I made a promise to someone previously and won't let them down. As it's my first game since the first few of the season, will be interested to see how we perform.

It's hard to know what to say in all honesty. I felt sick to the pit of my stomach last night. Only 3 players escape my wrath; Smith (who was very good), Maouche (who was ok when he came on) and Mills (the only defender who looked like he'd ever played professional football). To be fair even Mills looked as though he'd thrown in the towel, though, after a bright start from him.

What I`m really struggling to grasp from posters (including some obviously experienced football people) is the latest clamour to get rid of the manager. You only had to sit back and observe last night to see that morale, belief, desire and teamwork is absent from our whole set up. Normally, yes, you would point the finger at the manager but please just stop and think for a few moments before hitting the keyboard. It's been like this virtually from the off with this new regime.

I`ve always taken the "best bits" from any management course I`ve been on over the years (a lot are shite) and I`ll never forget about an excellent delivery from someone regarding "the leadership shadow". It's a simple concept about how an organisation basically reflects the values of its leader, because most leaders impose their styles and ideas which are then cascaded downwards. Now, in big organisations, effective department leaders below the "chief" can cast their own shadow and you can end up with an excellent functioning department in a poor organisation. In small ones, like our football club, that is nigh on impossible because the shadow of the leader envelops everything.

In my opinion, that is where our problem lies. Replace the club's leader with something better and then, and only then, will things start to improve.

Sorry to go on a bit but I`m just trying to give an alternative and logical argument to counter the "rinse and repeat" sack the manager mantra.

Make no mistake, these are ominously dark days for our football club. I went with someone from the Fleetwood camp last night and his view was that only one player (Smith) would get anywhere near their squad. I`ll close by quoting one sentence from him last night, "Contrast the cool, calm defence of Fleetwood organised superbly by Peter Clarke against the absolute shambles which is your defence."

P.S. Peter Clarke looked fitter than I`ve seen him for years!

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

It's hard to know what to say in all honesty. I felt sick to the pit of my stomach last night. Only 3 players escape my wrath; Smith (who was very good), Maouche (who was ok when he came on) and Mills (the only defender who looked like he'd ever played professional football). To be fair even Mills looked as though he'd thrown in the towel, though, after a bright start from him.

What I`m really struggling to grasp from posters (including some obviously experienced football people) is the latest clamour to get rid of the manager. You only had to sit back and observe last night to see that morale, belief, desire and teamwork is absent from our whole set up. Normally, yes, you would point the finger at the manager but please just stop and think for a few moments before hitting the keyboard. It's been like this virtually from the off with this new regime.

I`ve always taken the "best bits" from any management course I`ve been on over the years (a lot are shite) and I`ll never forget about an excellent delivery from someone regarding "the leadership shadow". It's a simple concept about how an organisation basically reflects the values of its leader, because most leaders impose their styles and ideas which are then cascaded downwards. Now, in big organisations, effective department leaders below the "chief" can cast their own shadow and you can end up with an excellent functioning department in a poor organisation. In small ones, like our football club, that is nigh on impossible because the shadow of the leader envelops everything.

In my opinion, that is where our problem lies. Replace the club's leader with something better and then, and only then, will things start to improve.

Sorry to go on a bit but I`m just trying to give an alternative and logical argument to counter the "rinse and repeat" sack the manager mantra.

Make no mistake, these are ominously dark days for our football club. I went with someone from the Fleetwood camp last night and his view was that only one player (Smith) would get anywhere near their squad. I`ll close by quoting one sentence from him last night, "Contrast the cool, calm defence of Fleetwood organised superbly by Peter Clarke against the absolute shambles which is your defence."

P.S. Peter Clarke looked fitter than I`ve seen him for years!

Yet Clarke is far older than our 'tired' experienced midfielders of last night.

Why is that?

We know its not all the managers fault, but to start a 15yo up front on his own against Peter Clarke defies belief.

Subbing 2 midfielders because they couldn't last more than 45 minutes and reluctantly having to keep the other on despite him playing  poorly says a lot for the squad and its preparation.

Archived