Cheltenham (A)

59 minutes ago, DerbyshireLatic said:

Special mention to the dickheads booing their keeper whilst he’s being treated by medical staff and clearly injured. Some even started singing “let him die”??? Absolute fucking morons, mainly young lads who’ve had a couple of cans of fruity cider but some adults among them and those creatures at the front who were also making a tit of themselves at half time.

I used to be proud of our away support but am now equally embarrassed. Good luck to the PTB guys it’s gonna take some effort to get our club back. See ya at Orient!

These lads generally get behind the team and follow Latics to most games. And while I do not condone some of the chanting that goes on (the. ‘P*$$ in your sink’ song being one example)  it was only one or two who did mock the goalkeeper but that stopped when the severity of the injury became apparent. Their support is being severely tested at the moment with even the most diehard of fans starting to question the commitment of the team and the tactical approach employed by the manager.

Every club has it’s share of numpties who watch the games, it’s just that, with the dwindling numbers who who turn up, the idiots seem to stand out more. 

It will get better...won’t it? 🤔

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DerbyshireLatic said:

Monday morning and reading through this thread pretty much sums up my thoughts on our complete ineptitude in both boxes, these last 3 games have finally done me in, I’m going to go and watch local none league for a few weeks, need a break from the toxicity that surrounds the club at the moment. 

I went to watch, as I do a few times a year being local,  Ramsbottom Utd v Pickering Town on Saturday. Not enjoyed a footy match that much for such a long time. I wouldn't fancy our chances against them at the moment 😁

32 minutes ago, Witty said:

I went to watch, as I do a few times a year being local,  Ramsbottom Utd v Pickering Town on Saturday. Not enjoyed a footy match that much for such a long time. I wouldn't fancy our chances against them at the moment 😁

Spot a striker?

Went to watch Matlock v Buxton couple of weeks ago and Buxton had a lad up top that was supposed to be the next big thing at Sheff Utd a few years ago - Diego de Girolamo. Not the tallest but strong, ran the channels well and scored a couple. Would be an upgrade on our current forwards but then so would Geoff Boycotts grandmother!

9 minutes ago, DerbyshireLatic said:

Went to watch Matlock v Buxton couple of weeks ago and Buxton had a lad up top that was supposed to be the next big thing at Sheff Utd a few years ago - Diego de Girolamo. Not the tallest but strong, ran the channels well and scored a couple. Would be an upgrade on our current forwards but then so would Geoff Boycotts grandmother!

Undoubtedly there are some good players at non league level. However, just cos someone stands out in a match at that level does not mean they will cut it a this level. Just cos our players are shit, doesn’t mean we should be looking for more untried players. We need  MUCH better not slightly better !!  And to reiterate they might be just as rubbish !

12 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Undoubtedly there are some good players at non league level. However, just cos someone stands out in a match at that level does not mean they will cut it a this level. Just cos our players are shit, doesn’t mean we should be looking for more untried players. We need  MUCH better not slightly better !!  And to reiterate they might be just as rubbish !

Loads of much better players available when your propping up the FL, pay buttons and your aware it's a shitshow your signing for, Bunn brought in some decent loans as he and Rhodes had good reputations (I'm aware they signed some shite but so did Joe Royle), Scholes could of opened some doors but unfortunately the horse has bolted now and we are left with a stable full of shit. You really would have to be tapped or extremely desperate to consider our club at the minute given how things are going.

24 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Plenty in non league who should be playing in League 1 or 2 and plenty in League 1 and 2 who should be playing in non league.

19 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Undoubtedly there are some good players at non league level. However, just cos someone stands out in a match at that level does not mean they will cut it a this level. Just cos our players are shit, doesn’t mean we should be looking for more untried players. 

That's spot on. Ramsbottom have Tom Kennedy, ex Bury, Rochdale, AFC Fylde, at left back and he stands out a mile with his ability.....but as you say thats something like 3 levels lower in the pyramid than Latics.

On second thoughts though ...left back 😁

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

These lads generally get behind the team and follow Latics to most games. And while I do not condone some of the chanting that goes on (the. ‘P*$$ in your sink’ song being one example)  it was only one or two who did mock the goalkeeper but that stopped when the severity of the injury became apparent. Their support is being severely tested at the moment with even the most diehard of fans starting to question the commitment of the team and the tactical approach employed by the manager.

Every club has it’s share of numpties who watch the games, it’s just that, with the dwindling numbers who who turn up, the idiots seem to stand out more. 

It will get better...won’t it? 🤔

Very true ref our dwindling support. I was going to go to Cheltenham as only 1.5 hrs away, but decided to bail last minute as was feeling a bit rough. I would never have done this  even 2 years ago which is a sad state of affairs.

I will go to Stevenage next Tuesday all things being equal, but recon it could be our lowest league away following for many a year. Be lucky if we get 100 tics there I recon, even with a few exiles there.

Like most, I 'm finding it increasingly more difficult by the day to summon up the energy and effort to go, whilst the current regime continue to suck what life is left out of the club.

I don'e even really blame the players or manager for the shit football on offer, as its not their fault. They are just in the main simply not good enough and are working under shitty conditions...you can't polish a turd.

We are undoubtedly at the lowest point in my 40 years plus as a supporter,...even lower than when Moore left us in the shit and I can't see it improving any time soon.

Happy New Year BTW!

clowns.jpg

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Plenty in non league who should be playing in League 1 or 2 and plenty in League 1 and 2 who should be playing in non league.

I agree. I’m more getting at the point that it would take more than a decent 90 mins at 8th tier etc to state that they are better than what we have. We have international players (ok from countries I never knew existed) that are far and away not up to standard. 

16 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Loads of much better players available when your propping up the FL, pay buttons and your aware it's a shitshow your signing for, Bunn brought in some decent loans as he and Rhodes had good reputations (I'm aware they signed some shite but so did Joe Royle), Scholes could of opened some doors but unfortunately the horse has bolted now and we are left with a stable full of shit. You really would have to be tapped or extremely desperate to consider our club at the minute given how things are going.

Yeah I know what you are saying. We must still be able to attract decent loans tho surely ? We are STILL JUST a football league member after all. I don't  buy that a club would rather have their players playing non competitive games. 

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I agree. I’m more getting at the point that it would take more than a decent 90 mins at 8th tier etc to state that they are better than what we have. We have international players (ok from countries I never knew existed) that are far and away not up to standard. 

Owolabi at FC United has scored 28 this season and was on our radar months ago. Probably too late now.

25 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I will go to Stevenage next Tuesday all things being equal, but recon it could be our lowest league away following for many a year. Be lucky if we get 100 tics there I recon, even with a few exiles there.

Wonder what our lowest is? I see we took 68 to a 1-0 win over Hartlepool on a March Tuesday in 2012. Any lower? 

1 minute ago, oafcmetty said:

Wonder what our lowest is? I see we took 68 to a 1-0 win over Hartlepool on a March Tuesday in 2012. Any lower? 

I remember us taking around 40 to the Old Den last game of 1977/78 season - not a very attractive prospect as we had nothing to play for and they could have gone down, probably lowest I have ever seen with OAFC. 

Dave Roberts (Cockney Dave) told me we had about 8 fans at Peterborough away in 1968/69 - lost 1-8

Not sure of any others   

7 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I seem to recall about 4 seasons ago (possibly more) we had 50 at Notts County on a Tuesday night. 

12 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I seem to recall about 4 seasons ago (possibly more) we had 50 at Notts County on a Tuesday night. 

I wonder how many used to go to Tuesday afternoon away games before floodlights?

2 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

I remember us taking around 40 to the Old Den last game of 1977/78 season - not a very attractive prospect as we had nothing to play for and they could have gone down, probably lowest I have ever seen with OAFC. 

Dave Roberts (Cockney Dave) told me we had about 8 fans at Peterborough away in 1968/69 - lost 1-8

Not sure of any others   

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

Think there was about 80 Alan, weather was ridiculous, took about 4 diversions to get there for a rearranged fixture that in any ways didn't matter - think was in Paul Dickov's days

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I wonder how many used to go to Tuesday afternoon away games before floodlights?

Can only remember home games in that season, not sure we had any away kick offs in midweek

Incidentally we had 10,000 for Tuesday afternoon FA Cup 3rd round replay v Cambridge, cannot recall any visiting fans but obviously there would have been some    

Archived