Crewe (A)

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 100milesaway said:

If a team continually piss off refs with blatant time wasting , they will ALWAYS add on more time than was actually wasted.  So time wasting doesn't work. Can football managers and players not see the blindingly obvious ?

If not, don't be upset when you lose in the 98 th minute.      

You get away with time wasting at home but on the opposition's ground are much less likely to be successful.

We aren't even good at it.

It's blatantly obvious. 

The goalkeeper feigning injury every match; Hamer walking to take every throw in the opposition's half; the contrived "celebration" in a remote corner after a goal is scored ( yes I know other clubs do it but are a little more discreet ); and the general lack of urgency even when drawing a game.

I don't attend away matches nowadays but our results are consistently the last to be given and you can draw your own conclusions as to why that is. 

I hate time wasting. It's cheating, whether it's the opposition or my team, and the sooner Refs start booking people in the first half for it the better.

35 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

If a team continually piss off refs with blatant time wasting , they will ALWAYS add on more time than was actually wasted.  So time wasting doesn't work. Can football managers and players not see the blindingly obvious ?

Except if you are the away team at Boundary Park!! We’ve been losing enough games at home to witness some embarrassing time wasting by the opposition. Goalkeepers taking an age to take a goal kick, players going down with an ‘injury’ or ‘cramp’, substituted players walking off at a snails pace ..... etc.

How many times have we seen 6 or 7 added minutes on at the end? We might get 1 or 2 but that’s about it. 😡

Once upon a time teams used to use up time by running the ball to the corner flag and keeping it there for as long as possible.  Which is fair enough as the ball is still in play.

Anything else whilst the ball is not in play is just plain cheating. We know it, the players and managers know it, and the refs know it.  So you either stop doing it , or prepare to lose in the 98th minute.

2 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Once upon a time teams used to use up time by running the ball to the corner flag and keeping it there for as long as possible.  Which is fair enough as the ball is still in play.

Anything else whilst the ball is not in play is just plain cheating. We know it, the players and managers know it, and the refs know it.  So you either stop doing it , or prepare to lose in the 98th minute.

Bookings for time wasting at throw ins will teach them a lesson.

15 hours ago, dkay570 said:

For me, the most disappointing thing was the game management. We were one all away against third in the league. Why is no one going down with cramp to slow it down? Where were the substitutions late on? We need to pick up this aspect of the game. Fair play to crewe, they deserved that but I'm still pissed off that we can't do the cynical parts of the game at all. I put that down to Dino because the substitution he made today and lack of further one's was naive at best.

We wasted plenty of time, hence seven minutes of added time.

I, along with every other fan in that stand we’re sick of it.

As others have said, we had nothing to lose going for it, Crewe did. Game was there for the taking but big arms bottled it.

Some lax defending for the last goal, particularly when Hamer was first caught out of position then putting in a weak challenge against the goalscorer.

Closing down is something Hamer hasn't improved upon, and that's something all opposition managers are aware of.

Also disappointed with Wheater, who just isn't as commanding as we hoped.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

We wasted plenty of time, hence seven minutes of added at the end. I, along with every other fan in that stand we’re sick of it.

As others have said, we had nothing to lose going for it, Crewe did. Game was there for the taking but big arms bottled it.

If he does and ends up losing 3-1 then he gets hammered for that, the fella can't do anything right it seems.

8 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Don’t agree with you re Wheater BP, he and Pidge won everything in the air yesterday, the goals came from the wings and not through the middle, I’m not yet convinced by Hamer but he’s still young and improving.

Is he improving? He gets beat a lot 

6 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Don’t agree with you re Wheater BP, he and Pidge won everything in the air yesterday, the goals came from the wings and not through the middle, I’m not yet convinced by Hamer but he’s still young and improving.

I meant Wheater on the ground, who looks cumbersome and slow to close down opponents.

Hamer isn't improving the vital aspects of defending IMO leaving wide men far too much space. Exeter have a good left winger so will see if he can be shut down and prevent crosses coming in.  

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If he does and ends up losing 3-1 then he gets hammered for that, the fella can't do anything right it seems.

The answer yesterday lay somewhere in between. We didn’t have to go for it and end up getting caught on the break but we sat back far too deep and just invited constant pressure. It was almost inevitable that they would get through eventually if we gave them enough opportunities. McCann should have been brought on in order to look after the ball better and relieve some of the pressure, plus we were desperate for some fresh legs. Branger looks so far away from match fitness that he actually made things worse when he came on.

Poor decision making by Dino on this occasion in my opinion. 

To be fair to Crewe they made us sit back through decent ball retention, we looked to have no outlet when we won it, certainly  Rowe and Maouche don’t have the speed or ability to get there and keep hold of it when it is hoofed towards them by the defence.

we just didn’t play with the freedom and confidence that we had again Mansfield and Bradford, we were however away from home against a team in second place, I for one don’t criticise the effort made yesterday, Crewe were just a better side on the day.

On another point don’t Crewe always seem to have a young team.

5 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

The answer yesterday lay somewhere in between. We didn’t have to go for it and end up getting caught on the break but we sat back far too deep and just invited constant pressure. It was almost inevitable that they would get through eventually if we gave them enough opportunities. McCann should have been brought on in order to look after the ball better and relieve some of the pressure, plus we were desperate for some fresh legs. Branger looks so far away from match fitness that he actually made things worse when he came on.

Poor decision making by Dino on this occasion in my opinion. 

Hindsight tells us those things and it wouldn't have been the sub I'd have made but we were essentially one passage of play away from gaining a very credible point, some massive overreactions going on.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Hindsight tells us those things and it wouldn't have been the sub I'd have made but we were essentially one passage of play away from gaining a very credible point, some massive overreactions going on.

You’re right, a point was VERY achievable, and things would have looked much better, but we brought the defeat on ourselves with the tactics in the last 20-25 minutes. 

24 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

After watching what was unfolding in front of me during the last 25 minutes or so, I can’t agree with that. I’m not suggesting throwing everyone up top at 1-1, but camping in our own half for a third of a game, allowing Crewe to gain the momentum was poor and unnecessary.

Things may well have been different without the keeper error setting the ball rolling.

1 minute ago, Canada_latic said:

The way I see this season has been one of gaining stability, rather than talk of playoffs. I just hope we end up more than 15 points clear of relegation. So if we end up in administration it doesn't affect our league status.

In such circumstances it could be held over to next season 

Archived