Crewe (A)

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

But it doesn't mean its like that every game. If the Mansfield and Bradford games are Plan A and the Crewe game was plan B where we go 1 up which as Eyrsie says, if either Zeus doesn't throw one in his own net for first, or we don't let their lad inside and get a shot away for the second then we come away with a point and thats 7 points out of 9.

People are saying that we had nothing to lose well if thats the case Id rather the manager spends the rest of this season trying to implement his plan A plan B and finding which players in the squad who can fit in with that. Then at the e d of the season flush out the ones that don't fit and bring in those that do.

Crewe appointed appointed David Artell in January 2017 they are only now seeing the results of sticking with him. We have had 8 managerial changes in that time hows that worked out for us? 

Im fairly indifferent about Dino Maarmria but if we stuck with him atleast it would show some kind of strategic thinking and a plan. 

Barring 2 or 3 games this season it’s been exactly like that....shite!!!

Goals conceded are quite often the result of defensive mistakes however adopting those tactics for the last 20 minutes or so was just asking for trouble, there was no need for it, none whatsoever,  and everyone in the ground (apart from Dino, apparently) knew it.

His post match interviews are the same every week....how we work on things in training and then fail to replicate in the games. 

I think he’s a clueless bullshitter and out of his depth, it’s only my opinion but I would be happy to see him replaced!!

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

In such circumstances it could be held over to next season 

But we would still be in league 2 for another season. Giving the club a fighting chance. Ultimately I just want a normally running football club. Where the club owns the land and infrastructure that is associated with it. Not split into 10 pieces and confusion of who owns what. Also to have a board that knows how to run a football club. Or off pitch staff that have good and fresh ideas. Not keep repeating the mistakes of the last 30 years. Getting rid of people that were part of those mistakes. Fuck off Shitpeas! 

2 minutes ago, Canada_latic said:

2 minutes ago, Canada_latic said:

But we would still be in league 2 for another season. Giving the club a fighting chance. Ultimately I just want a normally running football club. Where the club owns the land and infrastructure that is associated with it. Not split into 10 pieces and confusion of who owns what. Also to have a board that knows how to run a football club. Or off pitch staff that have good and fresh ideas. Not keep repeating the mistakes of the last 30 years. Getting rid of people that were part of those mistakes. Fuck off Shitpeas! 

Largely agree but I would like to know how many clubs do own their grounds as not doing so certainly isn't rare.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Largely agree but I would like to know how many clubs do own their grounds as not doing so certainly isn't rare.

You raise an interesting point about ownership. I just don't want to have a club where you have 10 people who own  20 parts of the club in different companies and the vast majority of them have next to no interest in the team.

If you think we have fallen from grace have pity on Droylsden who lost at home 7-0 yesterday. It's only a few years  ago were in the Conference and knocking league teams out of the FA  Cup and had former Latics Dale Stephens, Matt Smith, Danny Rowe and Dan Gardner on the team.

13 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Id prefer us to grind out a 1-0 win. with horrible time wasting keeping the ball in the corner and sticking 10 behind the ball.

What is it with Oldham fans wanting us to be gallant losers all the time. 

Football is about trying to win as many games as possible.

It's a shame that we appear not to be able to do either; At least one of us would be happy! 🐵

I stand by my gallant defeat. Much better than grinding one out 17 seconds from time.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

If you think we have fallen from grace have pity on Droylsden who lost at home 7-0 yesterday. It's only a few years  ago were in the Conference and knocking league teams out of the FA  Cup and had former Latics Dale Stephens, Matt Smith, Danny Rowe and Dan Gardner on the team.

I thought dale Stephen's came from bury youth?

20 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

I thought dale Stephen's came from bury youth?

Was on loan at Droylsden.  We must have signed him on at least a four year contract as we got a decent fee for him three years after he joined us.  Imagine that now.

18 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Barring 2 or 3 games this season it’s been exactly like that....shite!!!

Goals conceded are quite often the result of defensive mistakes however adopting those tactics for the last 20 minutes or so was just asking for trouble, there was no need for it, none whatsoever,  and everyone in the ground (apart from Dino, apparently) knew it.

His post match interviews are the same every week....how we work on things in training and then fail to replicate in the games. 

I think he’s a clueless bullshitter and out of his depth, it’s only my opinion but I would be happy to see him replaced!!

I share the general view that Dino makes too many poor tactical decisions - choice of substitutes, bringing all back at corners/free kicks, dropping his defence too deep - but there are too many on the pitch who simply don’t play at the crucial moments.

The manager talks of ‘leaders in the dressing room’ , he holds up certain individuals as examples of ‘how to work hard on the pitch’  but I just don’t see them step up when needed.

When the team plays like they did against Bradford we start to believe, when the team plays like it did at Crewe we start to doubt.

It can’t all be down to the manager, can it?

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I share the general view that Dino makes too many poor tactical decisions - choice of substitutes, bringing all back at corners/free kicks, dropping his defence too deep - but there are too many on the pitch who simply don’t play at the crucial moments.

The manager talks of ‘leaders in the dressing room’ , he holds up certain individuals as examples of ‘how to work hard on the pitch’  but I just don’t see them step up when needed.

When the team plays like they did against Bradford we start to believe, when the team plays like it did at Crewe we start to doubt.

It can’t all be down to the manager, can it?

He has consistently picked players such as Zeus, Segbe, Iacovitti who have made so many errors that they can hardly be classed as "professional" footballers. Zeus is his "number 1" despite numerous fuck ups. He has 3 strikers available, and plays a weak midfielder as our furthest striker. He makes substitutes (when he finally bothers) which have no impact on the game ie Sylla for Jones at Stevenage which made us drop deeper against a team which were horrendous. He put Mccann and the big Salford lad on the bench on Saturday and brought neither on in a game crying out for some control and easing of pressure. He steamed about refereeing decisions in a game where the referee had little impact. Senior players, whether good for us or not, such as Morais, Jones and Eagles have all disappeared from the team, 2 of which because they showed dissatisfaction at the way he managed them.

The guy instills no faith. He got 2 results last week picking the team 100% of fans could have chosen. It doesn't make him a genius. 

I think he is a very simple bully manager, with few tactical ideas. And I have no faith that "giving him time" will improve anything. Happy to be proven wrong, but he can go today for me.

58 minutes ago, youngen said:

The guy instills no faith. He got 2 results last week picking the team 100% of fans could have chosen. It doesn't make him a genius. 

I think he is a very simple bully manager, with few tactical ideas. And I have no faith that "giving him time" will improve anything. Happy to be proven wrong, but he can go today for me.

The team that started against Crewe was the team that played from the 30th minute onwards (until late substitutions) against Bradford apart from Mills in for CBJ. So allowing for the injuries to Dearnley and CBJ he stuck by the players that did so well against our Yorkshire neighbours. So doesn’t that show faith in his players at least? 

The point of my original post was that the same players who did so well against Bradford by and large performed poorly against Crewe. They have to take their share of the blame for the defeat.

As for the ‘Happy to be proven wrong’ comment - that’s  just a cop out on your part. 😉

Whatever formation he put out, the attacking intent that was there for Mansfield and Bradford seemingly wasn't there against Crewe. In those games we attacked fast and in numbers.  Against Crewe from what I've seen, it was back to ponderous forward play of the rest of the season.

If that's down to the players then he should have sent on one of his main leaders, McCann, to make sure the team did what he wanted.  That may also have helped the lack of possession control he complained about. And if he "loves 442", stick on Dieseruvwe to play with Rowe if it's not working with Maouche.  Given he was presumably a 'final say' signing.  Or Wilson, who seems to be on the bench every week but never gets a go except for 10 minutes up front by himself or on the wing.

It smacked of clinging on for a point to keep the PPG stat ticking over.  Or to claim an unbeaten game away against a top side.  We're getting fed a line every week and its wearing a bit thin.

I dont know if anyone has noticed this season, but one thing that was on show at crewe and has been all season that really riles me is when we have a corner and its cleared, our punt or header back in to the box never even makes it to the box and we are straight on the back foot defending a counter. Really frustrates me especially as when we clear a corner its straight back at us. We cant seem to keep pressure on

40 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The team that started against Crewe was the team that played from the 30th minute onwards (until late substitutions) against Bradford apart from Mills in for CBJ. So allowing for the injuries to Dearnley and CBJ he stuck by the players that did so well against our Yorkshire neighbours. So doesn’t that show faith in his players at least? 

The point of my original post was that the same players who did so well against Bradford by and large performed poorly against Crewe. They have to take their share of the blame for the defeat.

As for the ‘Happy to be proven wrong’ comment - that’s  just a cop out on your part. 😉

Agreed! However, when it comes to Latics things like this are rarely proven wrong unfortunately. Mostly because it would mean we have a good manager who wins things...

I wasn't digging solely at your post by the way. I just saw the comment about "leaders in dressing room" and thought, we had some of those but they hated the manager and now aren't there. Then that turned into a rant, sorry!

21 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

I dont know if anyone has noticed this season, but one thing that was on show at crewe and has been all season that really riles me is when we have a corner and its cleared, our punt or header back in to the box never even makes it to the box and we are straight on the back foot defending a counter. Really frustrates me especially as when we clear a corner its straight back at us. We cant seem to keep pressure on

It's mainly down to the crossing ability of our players.

Too many either hit the first man or are wildly over-hit as many of our players lack the composure on the ball to hit a first time cross and pass it on to a team mate who is not always better placed .

Mills can hit a decent cross some of the time as can Borthwick but Hamer is very inconsistent in his delivery and even Nepo and Jonny Smith have room for improvement.

Also we haven't a forward who's a decent header of the ball yet persist in trying to float crosses and corners into the box instead of smashing a low cross to the far post. A near post run causes many goals in the league but either we don't have the players to put it in there or the forwards with enough nous to make the run.

They're the basics of the game and really shouldn't need any further coaching at professional level.

One manager when asked why are the players crossing the ball when its inevitably headed away by the opposition. 

"Because there's a 50/50 chance they will clear it to one of ours" was the reply.

Cant beat a good bit of logic over the coaching manual.😉

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

One manager when asked why are the players crossing the ball when its inevitably headed away by the opposition. 

"Because there's a 50/50 chance they will clear it to one of ours" was the reply.

Even allowing for our poor crossing, at our level I'd sooner see the ball in the opposition's box than Maouche and Branger pissing about with it in midfield or on the wing.

"Get it in and see what happens !" 

21 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

So you go from 100% having the ball to 50% chance of having it? Sounds good to me.

6 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

So you go from 100% having the ball to 50% chance of having it? Sounds good to me.

It worked for that manager, albeit in this division, because his players won most 50/50 balls he said.😁

6 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's mainly down to the crossing ability of our players.

Too many either hit the first man or are wildly over-hit as many of our players lack the composure on the ball to hit a first time cross and pass it on to a team mate who is not always better placed .

Mills can hit a decent cross some of the time as can Borthwick but Hamer is very inconsistent in his delivery and even Nepo and Jonny Smith have room for improvement.

I would rate Nepo as 1/10  accurate crosser - Latic's crossing accuracy stat for Crewe  was 0% from 9 crosses.  I'm not fussed about the low number of crosses for Sat seeing as we didn't have the kind of player on the pitch who could take advantage of them,  but 0% is shocking.

And don't get me started on Hamer's long throws, how often does a Latics player ever get on the end of one or on the headed clearance of an opposition player?

Hence the need to blast the bugger low and hard and hope for deflections.

Whether we've anyone with sufficient anticipation to pick up the pieces is another matter.

Most of our strikers are pretty static in the box so it has to practically drop on their foot for them to score.

Just move about a bit, make the runs and now and then the ball will be within striking distance.

Archived