MATCH: v Mansfield Town (H) 13/01/21

55 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Whelan on 2 year contract so don't think he'll be going anywhere.

At least we should look to loan him out if we can.

39 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Reckon the keeper has saved us more points than he's cost us, the lads in front of him are the problem.

This is where I stand with him too.  Because of his shot stopping he's an upgrade on last year's keepers, but the protection he's got from the defensive unit is definitely a downgrade, and it wasn't even that great then!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

We used 15 outfield players last night ....by my reckoning 12 of them had never kicked a ball in the Football League before joining Oldham Athletic 

That's a fascinating stat.  Only Piergianni, CBJ and McAleny by my reckoning.

I think the recruitment this season has been an upgrade on the previous season, but the stubborn attitude towards experienced league players from our ownership is so self-defeating.

7 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

At least we should look to loan him out if we can.

This is where I stand with him too.  Because of his shot stopping he's an upgrade on last year's keepers, but the protection he's got from the defensive unit is definitely a downgrade, and it wasn't even that great then!

Good luck finding someone to take him!

23 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

That's a fascinating stat.  Only Piergianni, CBJ and McAleny by my reckoning.

I think the recruitment this season has been an upgrade on the previous season, but the stubborn attitude towards experienced league players from our ownership is so self-defeating.

Has it?

This season:

McAleny, Bahamboula - decent

McCalmont, Jombati, Lawlor, Grant, Clarke, Ntambwe - average

Whelan, CBJ, DKD, Barnett, Garrity, Blackwood - drek

Bilboe, Badan, Jameson, Hilssner - too early to tell

Last season we signed Jonny Smith, McCann, Wheater, Eagles, Pidge, Dearnley, Rowe, Mills - ok, not all of them worked out, but on paper...

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Reckon the keeper has saved us more points than he's cost us, the lads in front of him are the problem.

That's my thinking too, but he has been culpable for a few goals recently. The first goal yesterday should cost him two weeks wages...

3 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Has it?

This season:

McAleny, Bahamboula - decent

McCalmont, Jombati, Lawlor, Grant, Clarke, Ntambwe - average

Whelan, CBJ, DKD, Barnett, Garrity, Blackwood - drek

Bilboe, Badan, Jameson, Hilssner - too early to tell

Last season we signed Jonny Smith, McCann, Wheater, Eagles, Pidge, Dearnley, Rowe, Mills - ok, not all of them worked out, but on paper...

Maybe in my mind it's because there were a lot more misses than hits last year (Wilson, Desire, Gonzales, Sefil, Iacovitti, Zeus, Woods).

At the end of the day it's still like comparing the tallest mountain in Holland, one might be better than the other but neither end up with a high status.

I switch on iPlayer on game day and I just know the personnel and formation will be very different every single week. I think it's Lawlor with Clarke and Piergianni centre halves but the rest I have no idea who its going to be, let alone the formation. Mid game it changes constantly. The more successful Latics sides you could guess at least 9 correct on the day and formation.

1 hour ago, Witty said:

I switch on iPlayer on game day and I just know the personnel and formation will be very different every single week. I think it's Lawlor with Clarke and Piergianni centre halves but the rest I have no idea who its going to be, let alone the formation. Mid game it changes constantly. The more successful Latics sides you could guess at least 9 correct on the day and formation.

In his post match interview, Kewell says that eight or so players just didn’t play well last night. No team can carry that many poor performances. And yet we ended up losing by the odd goal in five and if Rowe’s late header had gone in...

When the team was announced I, along with many many others I imagine, let out a cry of dismay. The team was unbalanced from the off and playing three at the back when you don’t have decent wing backs ahead of them or a defensive midfielder was a recipe for disaster. And so it proved to be.

Kewell tried to change things around at halftime, reverting  to a back four with two fullbacks coming on. Which was the right thing to do as most of Mansfield’s first half attacks came down either flank. However CBJ gave away the third goal and any hopes of getting back on level par were swiftly dashed. 

The third halftime substitute was needed but in my opinion the manager chose the wrong player. Rowe should have come on to bolster a weak midfield. Without the early second half error and Rowe on earlier who knows how the game might have developed?

we was playing against a nigel clough team and he a manager who has got teams promoted and probible will get mansfield in the playoffs . maybe al should try poach nigel in the summer and he get us up season after

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Any more so than any other week?  As far as I can tell the team is picked using a tombola drum.

Even worse than in previous weeks sadly... to leave both Rowe and CBJ on the bench, starting with both Barnett and Diarra  plus a midfield three of Whelan, DKD and Garrity 😱

Did I say dismay? Horror more like.

4 hours ago, andya said:

we was playing against a nigel clough team and he a manager who has got teams promoted and probible will get mansfield in the playoffs . maybe al should try poach nigel in the summer and he get us up season after

He's more sense than to come here 

On 1/13/2021 at 10:02 PM, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Are we able to question our medical staff? That's twice now Dearnley has clearly been brought back when not fit enough, having to be withdrawn both times. The first one after 2 minutes against Carlisle and again tonight...

You can question them, but IMHO you'd be wrong to do so. 

Dearnley started 2 games over the Christmas period (Grimsby and FGR). He's come on as a sub in the other games. The last game he didn't play was Sunderland in the crap pizza thing over a month ago. Unfortunately I think Dearnley is one of those players who is no longer going to be 100% fit due to his injury problems and that's no-one's fault* and also part of the reason why he's playing at League 2 level. 

Dearnley came on at HT, so I'm not sure how "warmed-up" he was. He may have warmed up in the first half and I'd expect him to have done some warming up at HT but he may not have done. Wednesday was an unusual game as we brought on 3 subs at HT, which I don't recall us doing before (helped by being able to play 5 subs). With the match being at Boundary Park in January it was cold so warming up will be crucial. 

Dearnley's injury record probably makes it difficult for the medical team to objectively assess his fitness. As the quick tests and examinations they can do will make it difficult to differentiate between new injury and remnants of old injury. Dearnley will know so a lot will be down to his say, if he says he can start or come on from the bench, it's going to be very difficult for the medical staff to say otherwise. 

Furthermore its very common for players to suffer repeated niggly injuries for the same muscle / muscle group. That is sadly not always something that can be controlled, as I think will be the case with Dearnley. 

*I can go into more detail here but this post is long enough as it is. 

Archived