Stalybridge Celtic pre season.

There is a place for this type of player in the engine room of a team.

A recent example is Declan Rice who kept things ticking over for England by linking up play while protecting the defence.

I'd certainy take young Saul and also Furman as his mentor.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

There is a place for this type of player in the engine room of a team.

A recent example is Declan Rice who kept things ticking over for England by linking up play while protecting the defence.

I'd certainy take young Saul and also Furman as his mentor.

Don't forget we only have room for another 3 new players in the squad. What will Milovanovic bring to the squad that Whelan doesn't...?

31 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Don't forget we only have room for another 3 new players in the squad. What will Milovanovic bring to the squad that Whelan doesn't...?

Milovanovic is more of a foil, plays deeper than whelan does/should/will. Not that Milovanovic is any less talented, he just thinks differently..

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I like Whelan, but Saul is far more composed and a better passer of the ball and one for the future as he could well go higher.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I thought our embargo only applied to loan players, hence none signed so far?

"Latics can make loan signings but only for half a season, and cannot pay fees to acquire loan players or pay additional wages on top of the salary the player receives at their parent club."

Here is the original info from the announcement of the EFL rescue package in December:
1625838758822.png

19 minutes ago, Simpo said:

"Latics can make loan signings but only for half a season, and cannot pay fees to acquire loan players or pay additional wages on top of the salary the player receives at their parent club."

Here is the original info from the announcement of the EFL rescue package in December:
1625838758822.png

Doesn't mention we are restricted in squad size though?

50 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

But we definitely are…22 I think or 23

Keef in the boardroom like 'Look, we can only have 23 players due to no fault of mine as l wasnt even here, weve already got about 15 so lm making all the signings or lm not staying.'

Mo just devoed we can't have another 47 man squad so starts taking pictures of Keef.

"Under the EFL's operational rules surrounding embargoes, clubs do have some means of strengthening their squads "to protect the integrity" of the competition.

Clubs are permitted to 'staff up' so they have 23 players of professional standing, which is termed as players to have made at least one appearance for any club in any first-team competition.

If they have less than 23 players they are allowed, within a transfer window, to sign free agents on a maximum of one-year deals or bring in players on loan for up to half a season.

However, clubs cannot pay loan fees for players and cannot pay additional wages on top of the salary the player receives at their parent club."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57760968

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/embargoes/embargoes-faqs/

41 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

"Under the EFL's operational rules surrounding embargoes, clubs do have some means of strengthening their squads "to protect the integrity" of the competition.

Clubs are permitted to 'staff up' so they have 23 players of professional standing, which is termed as players to have made at least one appearance for any club in any first-team competition.

If they have less than 23 players they are allowed, within a transfer window, to sign free agents on a maximum of one-year deals or bring in players on loan for up to half a season.

However, clubs cannot pay loan fees for players and cannot pay additional wages on top of the salary the player receives at their parent club."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57760968

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/embargoes/embargoes-faqs/

So we can only have 23 including loans. That doesn't leave much room for loans at all.

How come every team in the league, apart from two basket cases in Swindon and Southend and us (which I don't regard as a basket case), have managed without a grant? It was probably interest free, so AL decided to use someone else's money rather than his own. I expect he will pay it back and the embargo will be lifted. 🤨

7 minutes ago, al_bro said:

So we can only have 23 including loans. That doesn't leave much room for loans at all.

How come every team in the league, apart from two basket cases in Swindon and Southend and us (which I don't regard as a basket case), have managed without a grant? It was probably interest free, so AL decided to use someone else's money rather than his own. I expect he will pay it back and the embargo will be lifted. 🤨

Aye, the fee from Dylan or the solidarity payments, whichever comes first, what a club.

9 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Receive free money, and also run the playing staff on the cheap. Win-win for Abdallah Lemsagam...

If I'm honest I'm a little surprised there wasn't more take-up of the monitored grant/"loan". Maybe you have to prove your finances are really precarious to be eligible.

51 minutes ago, al_bro said:

How long can AL realistically continue if he doesnt pay loans back?

3 hours ago, Simpo said:

Receive free money, and also run the playing staff on the cheap. Win-win for Abdallah Lemsagam...

If I'm honest I'm a little surprised there wasn't more take-up of the monitored grant/"loan". Maybe you have to prove your finances are really precarious to be eligible.

There may have been more take up but others have paid it back

Archived