Stalybridge Celtic pre season.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two penneth following the Celtic game:

First Half

Sutton looked alright against toilet opposition but looks to be a bit of a clogger. Quite slow.

McGeahey was decent and is actually much quicker than he looks. Very vocal on the pitch which explains why he was captain.

Jameson still as stiff as a board. Squad player at best. 

Furman decent showing. Neat & tidy, great assist, one bad ball across his own box.

The #4 was way off it, lost possession a few times and just didn’t look on the same wavelength as the others.

That ex-Chesterfield lad looked alright. Confident on the ball, but I wouldn’t say he stood out.

Lavery made a few decent runs without getting the service, except from a lovely Furman pass and it was a great finish tbf.

Second Half

Pierganni & Hart looked solid enough. Not sure Hart is a CB though.

Fage - as usual - offered nothing.

The ex-Weds winger looked a handful. Would like to see him again. Took his goal excellently.

Wasn’t overly impressed with the Norwich lad - Saul?

Danns got about the pitch well considering his age, vocal, decent on the ball. His experience might be a little bit of what we need.

Dearnley not as sharp as we’ve seen. Snatched at some of his shots, did force a good save at the end.

55 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

We can't possibly sign Danns. He was released from Halifax after struggling to get in their side all season. We haven't sunk that low yet surely...

Sooner keep the young Norwich lad who's passing was very good and what we need to control a game.

Reminded me of Declan Rice..and he plays for England.

I was a critic of Rice, but his performances in the Euros, especially v Italy, have won me round. Shame he went off, injured/knackered maybe, I thought he was our best player in the final.

I still don't think England need both him and Phillips in midfield, but I'm getting way off topic now.........

Furman looked OK last night so I'd offer him a 6 month stint.

The left winger looked good on Saturday, not so good last night, but we're short of lefties so I'd take him.

No. 2 impressed with the way he held onto the ball and I'd definitely offer him a 2 year deal.

Of the others I wouldn't go overboard on any, although Lavery took his goal well. 

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Another reason for signing Furman is he he has a wealth of experience to help Callum Whelan become a better player.

Don't think Furmam is the man for this. Whelan needs somebody who will run all day and loves a tackle, aswell as being able to play, so that Whelan doesn't have to worry about stuff not coming off and us getting hit on the break. 

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Sooner keep the young Norwich lad who's passing was very good and what we need to control a game.

Reminded me of Declan Rice..and he plays for England.

He was released by Norwich in February and signed for them from Huddersfield. He may well be cheap too, having been without a club for 6 months.

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

He was released by Norwich in February and signed for them from Huddersfield. He may well be cheap too, having been without a club for 6 months.

And he's from Oldham.

On 7/13/2021 at 7:48 PM, Chris15Arm said:

I thought he was a lot older than that! Certainly looked older last season the way he was playing. I dont think we would have to beg him to come from being on the bench most of the season for someone in our league. Dont think I'd be excited by his signing though. Looked past it last couple times I've seen him 

I think he could start games rather than coming off the bench and bring on a sub around the hour mark.

On 7/13/2021 at 7:43 PM, GlossopLatic said:

According to Wiki Dean Furman is 33 while not spring chicken in football terms you could probably get a couple more years out of him if we somehow persuaded him to come.

The Italians managed to play a couple a lot older at the highest level.

Furman's fitness and attitude looked very good to me at Stalybridge. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

You could argue that in Italy that they get more time on the ball than in league 2.

That said I trust your ability more than most to judge a players capability BP1960.

38 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

and he was playing against stalybridge. If he wants peanuts get him in, him Whelan and Saul in a three would probably work against most in this league with a solid nasty defence and some speed up top..

he’s a solid pro and although I’d prob take the young lad if we had to take one out of the two he would be able to a job. A million times better type than people like Sylla ect we have had in past seasons 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Shame he is a bottle job who jumped ship in the middle of a relegation battle. He should have a banning order from Boundary Park...

18 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Shame he is a bottle job who jumped ship in the middle of a relegation battle. He should have a banning order from Boundary Park...

another of Corneys £50K loans. Got promoted aswell didn't he?

I must say the positivity around Furman isn't the same as the 'Captain Sideways' shit l used to see. Give it time l suppose.

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

He told David Broadbent on the podcast that he didn't want to leave, and felt bad about it. He wasn't given the opportunity to stay.

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

another of Corneys £50K loans. Got promoted aswell didn't he?

I must say the positivity around Furman isn't the same as the 'Captain Sideways' shit l used to see. Give it time l suppose.

Or 'The Crab'

6 hours ago, al_bro said:

He told David Broadbent on the podcast that he didn't want to leave, and felt bad about it. He wasn't given the opportunity to stay.

Or 'The Crab'

Remember the original Crab , Ray Wilkins, play at BP , once as a youngster for Chelsea in the 2nd division, ( he may have scored from a free kick, I was in the Rocky Rd end with the away fans!) and once when at QPR when he was giving it some , back to the Lookers stand paddock.

48 minutes ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Remember the original Crab , Ray Wilkins, play at BP , once as a youngster for Chelsea in the 2nd division, ( he may have scored from a free kick, I was in the Rocky Rd end with the away fans!) and once when at QPR when he was giving it some , back to the Lookers stand paddock.

He was a proper gentleman Mr Wilkins. Think I remember him bossing a game at Qpr when he was well into his 30s. Paul Gerrard debut. 

Archived