Relegation.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Still 27 points to play for an some unbelievably bad sides in and around us. Oldham are making it much harder than it needs to be, but I still expect Stevenage or Barrow to be the ones to go down...

I seem to recall you thought we'd go up at the start of the season - can't fault your optimism

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I seem to recall you thought we'd go up at the start of the season - can't fault your optimism

I said we should be challenging at the top. That hasn't changed. Shame we had Keith Curle in charge of recruitment and brought a load of rubbish into the squad in August...

28 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I said we should be challenging at the top. That hasn't changed. Shame we had Keith Curle in charge of recruitment and brought a load of rubbish into the squad in August...

He may not have covered himself in glory but at £800pw for a maximum of a year's contract. we were shopping in the near the sell by date section of Aldi

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Still 27 points to play for an some unbelievably bad sides in and around us. Oldham are making it much harder than it needs to be, but I still expect Stevenage or Barrow to be the ones to go down...

Barrow? Possibly. I think they are the most at risk club outside the bottom two.

Stevenage still have to play yourselves, Colchester, Scunthorpe, Rochdale and Carlisle. If they win even a couple of those and don't lose to you they will be hard to catch. And to be honest, these are the only two feasible targets you have now. I wish you all the best, but if you are expecting to stay up I think you are probably over-confident. 

2 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Barrow? Possibly. I think they are the most at risk club outside the bottom two.

Stevenage still have to play yourselves, Colchester, Scunthorpe, Rochdale and Carlisle. If they win even a couple of those and don't lose to you they will be hard to catch. And to be honest, these are the only two feasible targets you have now. I wish you all the best, but if you are expecting to stay up I think you are probably over-confident. 

He always is. 

3 hours ago, Oldham82 said:

If we do go down which unfortunately I really think we will, new owners in , fans will flood back, look at Luton simular in size to us as club, 8 years they were in conference now there in championship playoffs !!!!! We can do this .

Still struggling with this assumption that relegation = owners leaving/brighter future.

It's a low bar, but getting better owners will be a dam sight easier than getting promoted back to the football league.

The owners are guaranteed to leave at some point.  There is no guarantee that we'll get promoted back to the Football League.  Ever.

Relegation would be a disaster.  Lets keep what we've got and build from there. 

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We need 15 points from them 27 and 6 of the remaining games are against teams in the top half of the table.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Still struggling with this assumption that relegation = owners leaving/brighter future.

It's a low bar, but getting better owners will be a dam sight easier than getting promoted back to the football league.

The owners are guaranteed to leave at some point.  There is no guarantee that we'll get promoted back to the Football League.  Ever.

Relegation would be a disaster.  Lets keep what we've got and build from there. 

While I understand why you want to stay up, or what you think it’s preferable.  I can’t get my head around your reluctance to accept what is staring us in face.

Awful owners who won’t sell until the court case is over, by which point we’ll be down anyway.

We’re well past what is desirable. 

Relegation is only disaster if you’re a normal club who have just had a bad season. 

We on the other hand are completely fucked as a going concern, and the situation has become so toxic and complex that the division we play in has become moot.  We have far far bigger problems than that. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

While I understand why you want to stay up, or what you think it’s preferable.  I can’t get my head around your reluctance to accept what is staring us in face.

Awful owners who won’t sell until the court case is over, by which point we’ll be down anyway.

We’re well past what is desirable. 

Relegation is only disaster if you’re a normal club who have just had a bad season. 

We on the other hand are completely fucked as a going concern, and the situation has become so toxic and complex that the division we play in has become moot.  We have far far bigger problems than that. 

I accept everything you've said there. What I don't accept is that relegation out of the football league indefinitely will improve things..

53 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I accept everything you've said there. What I don't accept is that relegation out of the football league indefinitely will improve things..

No it won’t, but it’s a necessary evil I’m afraid. 

FWIW, I think we’ll carry on sliding- I don’t think we’re anywhere near the bottom yet. However I still have hope that out of the ruins we’ll come again. And the thought of a hopefully better run club on the way back up, is infinitely more preferable to a toxic club on the slide IMO. 

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

No it won’t, but it’s a necessary evil I’m afraid. 

FWIW, I think we’ll carry on sliding- I don’t think we’re anywhere near the bottom yet. However I still have hope that out of the ruins we’ll come again. And the thought of a hopefully better run club on the way back up, is infinitely more preferable to a toxic club on the slide IMO. 

…or we’ll just go bust and vanish.

Roll the dice. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Swindon have done alright with their 800 bags a week signings...

I've no idea if their embargo was under the same terms as us but as they are already signing players, McKirdy for one, on longer contracts it clearly isn't anymore.  I can't be bothered looking but I'd be willing to hazard a guess that they have done rather better in the loan market than us, quite possibly because we've managed to piss off most of the clubs in the league and those that we haven't know our reputation.  Scunthorpe would be an example of a club under embargo that, remarkably, has managed to do even worse than we have

I don't really gamble, but thought I would tryand get odds for OAFC not to get relegated  from Bet365. I emailed them and the response was:

"I understand you would like odds on Oldham Athletic Not To Be Relegated.
Following a review of your price request, we are unfortunately unable to offer a price on this selection. Please be advised that this is a trading decision".

I thought bookies took bets on anything, except when there was a good chance they would lose.

24 minutes ago, Mercater said:

I don't really gamble, but thought I would tryand get odds for OAFC not to get relegated  from Bet365. I emailed them and the response was:

"I understand you would like odds on Oldham Athletic Not To Be Relegated.
Following a review of your price request, we are unfortunately unable to offer a price on this selection. Please be advised that this is a trading decision".

I thought bookies took bets on anything, except when there was a good chance they would lose.

On the exchange you could lay us at evens.  Too thin a market though and the real odds are shorter than that was it would be a terrible bet.  Traditional bookies tend not to make markets where there will be minimal opportunity to ever lay the bet off should they need to, bar daft publicity bets.  The last thing they are is gamblers.

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

On the exchange you could lay us at evens.  Too thin a market though and the real odds are shorter than that was it would be a terrible bet.  Traditional bookies tend not to make markets where there will be minimal opportunity to ever lay the bet off should they need to, bar daft publicity bets.  The last thing they are is gamblers.

Cheers Dave, explains

Archived