Relegation.

34 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That really has me scratching my head.  How on earth is that affordable at wages that would keep someone happy?

It surprised me too, Dave, when I heard it. But I have heard it from two different sources in the last two or three weeks, and I am inclined to take their word for it. 

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

It surprised me too, Dave, when I heard it. But I have heard it from two different sources in the last two or three weeks, and I am inclined to take their word for it. 

Yes, I've heard it's the case.  I've watched plenty of National League South football and barring the occasional sugar daddy  I can't imagine that any of the clubs at that level could do that sustainably.

5 hours ago, adamoafc said:

On the matter of the sale, the big issue now is the court case (if it happens) with the ground. If this goes ahead no buyer is going to commit to a sale until they know what is theirs. That’s where I think Abdallah will be and why the process has slowed. 

Thanks a lot Barry! You fat narcissistic pie eating prick!

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Yes, I've heard it's the case.  I've watched plenty of National League South football and barring the occasional sugar daddy  I can't imagine that any of the clubs at that level could do that sustainably.

I wonder whether some people have thought that - for a relatively small investment - they can skate through to the National League at least and maybe beyond. Going back as far as Rushden & Diamonds, a number of clubs have made that work (Fleetwood are the best recent example). 

The trouble is that there are quite a few clubs doing something similar now. So you end up with clubs like Wrexham  spending huge money on wages, regularly getting crowds of 8,000 or so and still struggling to get up.

3 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I wonder whether some people have thought that - for a relatively small investment - they can skate through to the National League at least and maybe beyond. Going back as far as Rushden & Diamonds, a number of clubs have made that work (Fleetwood are the best recent example). 

The trouble is that there are quite a few clubs doing something similar now. So you end up with clubs like Wrexham  spending huge money on wages, regularly getting crowds of 8,000 or so and still struggling to get up.

Fylde got close but fell back, Harrogate made it through.

2 hours ago, Canada_latic said:

Thanks a lot Barry! You fat narcissistic pie eating prick!

The fact that a man with a long history of being a failure is behind this will probably mean that this legal challenge will fail. 

According to Andy on the podcast aren’t due to here next Friday (the 1st of April) some news on this @BPAS do you want to confirm this, think you mentioned a deadline relating to this?

Having said its still a long road to get the club back and Barry Owen is going to cling on as much as he can because his only interest is power. But the day will come when we are rid of both the Lemsagams and Barry Owen it will be a good day for all of us.

Although OAFC didn't own the stadium i.e. the land and buildings, is it not a fact that OAFC owned the North Stand built, in the hole vacated by the old Ford Stand, using the 'grant' and then borrowings from Blitz etc.  Then Corney to clear the debt with Blitz etc transferred ownership of the stand to he/them when the terms of the deal with OMBC was that the stand would remain in the ownership of the football club until 2030(?)?

12 hours ago, Hands on said:

Although OAFC didn't own the stadium i.e. the land and buildings, is it not a fact that OAFC owned the North Stand built, in the hole vacated by the old Ford Stand, using the 'grant' and then borrowings from Blitz etc.  Then Corney to clear the debt with Blitz etc transferred ownership of the stand to he/them when the terms of the deal with OMBC was that the stand would remain in the ownership of the football club until 2030(?)?

Those kind of things don’t tend to stand up in court. “Son I’m going to give you half the money to build a house, But I don’t want you to ever sell it” 

It’s clear we need a fully available first team to even stand a slight chance of staying up. 

Back 4 needs to be Clarke, Pidge, Sutton (assuming mcgahey out for season) and Hart. Missilou needs to start in midfield and Luamba absolutely crucial up front. Which is a lot to ask of a youngster struggling with recurring injuries. 

Any game without any/all of those 6 players will probably be a loss as the balance/shape goes and their replacements just aren’t good enough for this level. 

It’s clear where the blame lies - recruitment…

Jameson

Diarra

Cisse 

Fage

Stobbs

Hopcutt

to name a few players who have been given contracts by those in charge. Which has used up budget and squad places while under a restrictive embargo. Meaning no room/money for a passing midfielder or a couple of out and out strikers. Leaving us totally unbalanced. 

And Barry Owen now is fighting to give the owners more control and power? That guy is clearly not a fan of Oldham Athletic. He’s a power seeking leech who will happily see the club run into the ground just to spite his perceived enemies who’s main crime seems to be being popular. 

Edited to make more clear I’m not blaming the players for signing contracts put in front of them!

30 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It’s clear where the blame lies…

Jameson

Diarra

Cisse 

Fage

Stobbs

Hopcutt

I’m not sure you can blame a footballer for accepting a contract to play? 🤔

Surely most of the blame lies with those individuals who caused the mess we are in which meant that these players were all we could get?

Surely the rest of the blame lies with the individuals who actually brought these players to the club?

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I’m not sure you can blame a footballer for accepting a contract to play? 🤔

Surely most of the blame lies with those individuals who caused the mess we are in which meant that these players were all we could get?

Surely the rest of the blame lies with the individuals who actually brought these players to the club?

Maybe my post wasn’t clear, the next sentence says they have been given contracts. The blame lies with those running the club and those self serving lot that are enabling and supporting them. Not the players, coaching staff or fans. 

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Maybe my post wasn’t clear, the next sentence says they have been given contracts. The blame lies with those running the club and those self serving lot that are enabling and supporting them. Not the players, coaching staff or fans. 

Ah!

Maybe it wasn’t clear or maybe I misread the post - either what you say above is how I feel 👍

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Ah!

Maybe it wasn’t clear or maybe I misread the post - either what you say above is how I feel 👍

Nice one. I’ve edited it now to be a bit clearer!!

15 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

This is a big year for Fylde.  Much of their support has been lost to a renaissant Blackpool, and they still have it all to do to get back up to the NL - they will have to do it the hard way. 

I drive past Fylde's ground quite a bit - they have always struck me as a bit of an enigma.  The ground seems reasonably smart, but it pretty much surrounded by fields with only a small local population to gain support from.  Blackpool get reasonable support. Fleetwood don't.  I've always wondered how much interest there is...

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

It’s clear we need a fully available first team to even stand a slight chance of staying up. 

Back 4 needs to be Clarke, Pidge, Sutton (assuming mcgahey out for season) and Hart. Missilou needs to start in midfield and Luamba absolutely crucial up front. Which is a lot to ask of a youngster struggling with recurring injuries. 

Any game without any/all of those 6 players will probably be a loss as the balance/shape goes and their replacements just aren’t good enough for this level. 

It’s clear where the blame lies - recruitment…

Jameson

Diarra

Cisse 

Fage

Stobbs

Hopcutt

to name a few players who have been given contracts by those in charge. Which has used up budget and squad places while under a restrictive embargo. Meaning no room/money for a passing midfielder or a couple of out and out strikers. Leaving us totally unbalanced. 

And Barry Owen now is fighting to give the owners more control and power? That guy is clearly not a fan of Oldham Athletic. He’s a power seeking leech who will happily see the club run into the ground just to spite his perceived enemies who’s main crime seems to be being popular. 

Edited to make more clear I’m not blaming the players for signing contracts put in front of them!

Also woeful use of the loan system - most sides best players at this level are loanees. We've burned bridges with plenty of teams by not paying for loan fees/wages so struggle to get suitable players and resort to cheap agency recommendations.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I drive past Fylde's ground quite a bit - they have always struck me as a bit of an enigma.  The ground seems reasonably smart, but it pretty much surrounded by fields with only a small local population to gain support from.  Blackpool get reasonable support. Fleetwood don't.  I've always wondered how much interest there is...

The answer is "not much", Joe. Even in the middle of the Blackpool boycott they struggled to get near to 2,000, and they were at the top end of the NL for some of that time. They are a long way from that now. Plus the nearest league ground is probably Preston. 

It has always felt like an artificial construct for me, even more so than Fleetwood is. At least Fleetwood has a population of 25-30,000 or so to draw support from.

If/when we become the first ex Premier League to be relegated to non league could the publicity generated from this bring forward positive new ownership (backed up with Netflix/Amazon Prime series)?

Or will we just fold?

2 minutes ago, mick26 said:

If/when we become the first ex Premier League to be relegated to non league could the publicity generated from this bring forward positive new ownership (backed up with Netflix/Amazon Prime series)?

Or will we just fold?

Neither we’ll keep just sliding down the leagues until Barry and abdallah realise Blitz is a lot smarter than they are. 

1 hour ago, mick26 said:

Also woeful use of the loan system - most sides best players at this level are loanees. We've burned bridges with plenty of teams by not paying for loan fees/wages so struggle to get suitable players and resort to cheap agency recommendations.

Good point. Am I right in thinking our only loans this season have been Bowen, Bettache & Hunt (Hunt being the only loan currently in the squad?)

3 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Good point. Am I right in thinking our only loans this season have been Bowen, Bettache & Hunt (Hunt being the only loan currently in the squad?)

Yep - plus emergency loan for Laurie Walker for 2 games.

21 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Or will we just fold?

This time next year Rodney, we'll be (crypto) Millionaires 🤨

If we do go down which unfortunately I really think we will, new owners in , fans will flood back, look at Luton simular in size to us as club, 8 years they were in conference now there in championship playoffs !!!!! We can do this .

Archived