Relegation.

48 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

I’m normally optimistic and happy clapping but I think some of us are underestimating how other teams will do. 
Stevenage perked up with five unbeaten before the last few games. Under Tisdale they can do so again. 
Walsall , with a new decent manager now, aren’t necessarily on a continuous slump. 
 Our problem is that, despite the last 5 games, we are still only where we are. We gave lots of teams several points start . 
Can Shez maintain the current level of team performance? I I just don’t know , We’ll lose a couple on the bounce at some time and must hope that team confidence isn’t dented too much.

20 more points I reckon and some of those against fellow strugglers please. 

Injuries likely to be a big problem.  We're already back in the situation of having no recognised striker for the next six weeks or so and while we have a better chance of papering over that canyon than was the charge it's still a far from ideal situation to be in.  I'm in exactly the same frame of mind as I was in August - if anyone offers 22nd I'll take their arm off.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, AndyGortonsMatches said:

Carlisle boss given the boot today - let's hope there's no 'new manager bounce' from them.

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Christ there’s been a shedload of managers sacked of late!!

And Orient have sacked Jackett

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

Can Shez maintain the current level of team performance? I I just don’t know , We’ll lose a couple on the bounce at some time and must hope that team confidence isn’t dented too much.

Sheridan does recognise that we cannot expect to maintain the current level of performance for the rest of the season - speaking to the Oldham Times:

“We’re going to lose games - it’s just part and parcel - but go down fighting,” said the 57-year-old.

“It’s short - five games unbeaten - brilliant start from us, we’ve got to continue performing and getting results and getting points.“

Let’s hope the run continues for a while yet.

26 minutes ago, astottie said:

They have appointed Paul Simpson.  Following our example? 

not good news for us as Millen was doing a terrible job. It’s is hometown club so would expect it to raise spirits. They are the club I feel we most need to continue with a poor run. 

38 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

not good news for us as Millen was doing a terrible job. It’s is hometown club so would expect it to raise spirits. They are the club I feel we most need to continue with a poor run. 

Is there any good news in that the transfer window is closed and he will have to use the existing team?

1 hour ago, Mercater said:

Is there any good news in that the transfer window is closed and he will have to use the existing team?

It certainly let helps but don’t know their squad well enough to judge whether they are underperforming or if they are really that poor. When you look at us now, you have to say we look a solid side. Prob mid table sort of outfit with a good defence. 

Stevenage play the current top 3 back to back in March, around the time we have the 4 home games on the trot and we've 3 games in hand on them. I'd be looking at them as candidates along with Colchester for that last spot rather than us or Carlisle. Even though we will lose games I've seen enough since Shez came back to make me think we'll be safe.

19 minutes ago, Inspectormorose. said:

Stevenage play the current top 3 back to back in March, around the time we have the 4 home games on the trot and we've 3 games in hand on them. I'd be looking at them as candidates along with Colchester for that last spot rather than us or Carlisle. Even though we will lose games I've seen enough since Shez came back to make me think we'll be safe.

There’s a few in it. Barrow are also a poor side and will be right down there I think. Going to be tight 

42 minutes ago, Inspectormorose. said:

Aye. 

The confidence the players must be feeling after the season they’ve had must be immense. It hasn’t been ok start under Shez,  it’s been a complete transformation. Yes, we’ll lose games but it’s hard to see a complete collapse in form from here. 

I’ve gone from absolutely nailed on to go down, to thinking we’ll be ok- just. 

5 hours ago, Mercater said:

If the transfer window is closed it might be 

As the transfer window is open until March 24 it's a bit moot.

22 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

…or 6 wins from the next 6 and we can change the thread title to PlayOffs 😁

I know you aren't meaning that literally but the minute we are mathmatically safe the handbrake is coming on.

On a more general point I'd also like to point out here that avoiding relegation out of the football league (something we have managed to do for the last 116 years) is not an achievement for us as a club. It's an achievement for John Sheridan and he is rightly getting the credit and I've no problem with that.

But after the last 2 shezzurections we had poor Summers and ended up bottom of the league in the following August and September if no takeover goes through (any rumours anyone?) Then I can see the same thing happening.

I didn't say I was here to cheer everyone up btw 😀

8 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

I’m normally optimistic and happy clapping but I think some of us are underestimating how other teams will do. 
Stevenage perked up with five unbeaten before the last few games. Under Tisdale they can do so again. 
Walsall , with a new decent manager now, aren’t necessarily on a continuous slump. 
 Our problem is that, despite the last 5 games, we are still only where we are. We gave lots of teams several points start . 

I'm an oldie from back in the day, Black Horse and away trips to Wolves and Barnsley from there were fun. Harry still around and was it Brian Green?

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I know you aren't meaning that literally but the minute we are mathmatically safe the handbrake is coming on.

On a more general point I'd also like to point out here that avoiding relegation out of the football league (something we have managed to do for the last 116 years) is not an achievement for us as a club. It's an achievement for John Sheridan and he is rightly getting the credit and I've no problem with that.

But after the last 2 shezzurections we had poor Summers and ended up bottom of the league in the following August and September if no takeover goes through (any rumours anyone?) Then I can see the same thing happening.

I didn't say I was here to cheer everyone up btw 😀

No, you are spot on, Shez is a quick fix, until we see material change higher up we are on rinse and repeat. This is no way taking away from what the legend John Sheridan appears to be doing at the moment. 

18 hours ago, League one forever said:

Aye. 

The confidence the players must be feeling after the season they’ve had must be immense. It hasn’t been ok start under Shez,  it’s been a complete transformation. Yes, we’ll lose games but it’s hard to see a complete collapse in form from here. 

I’ve gone from absolutely nailed on to go down, to thinking we’ll be ok- just. 

This! I'm sure we'll get a few wallopings between now and the end of the season, but up until a few weeks ago it was safe to presume we'd be getting walloped every single game. I think we'll just about do it, though would love to be safe with games to spare ( and stop Tranmere going up) .  It's great looking forward to games,  having  positive expectations and the possibility of dishing out a walloping for a change.

20 hours ago, Inspectormorose. said:

They have to play 5 of the top 8 and we have to play 7.

They also have to play the bottom 4. I think this is going down to last game unfortunately.

Archived