Relegation.

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Benachour, Curle, Kewell.... haven't checked tbh but if we'd had the "new manager bounce" with them surely we would not find ourselves in dire straits now metty?

Well we didn't win a single game out of 7 under Selim so his bounce never left the ground

I think the first few under Curle and Kewell were turd as well though didn't we appoint Kewell in the summer?  Not sure a bounce is possible from that position anyway

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

As the evil day draws nearer and Latics are remembered forever as a perennial quiz question, it may come as a little comfort and hope for the future if Luton were able to complete the reverse journey, which they currently are having a good stab at.

Luton were never relegated from the "Premier League" though so the headlines won't be as juicy as when we drop out :) 

3 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Well we didn't win a single game out of 7 under Selim so his bounce never left the ground

I think the first few under Curle and Kewell were turd as well though didn't we appoint Kewell in the summer?  Not sure a bounce is possible from that position anyway

1 point from the first 5 games under Kewell, 3 points (all draws) from the first 4 under Curle. Certainly more turd than Zebedee.

2 hours ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

When and if we lose our EFL status clearly the loan will still need paying off but does anyone know if we would still be under the EFL embargo in the National League? 

Southend were placed under embargo by the National League due to HMRC debt so more than likely we'll get one if ALMO are still here!

I see Barrow have appointed Phil Brown today, with Neil McDonald as his No.2. McDonald took us down to L2 during the boycott ; he obviously had an impossible job to do, but he didn't in the end do it all that well.  As for Brown..... words fail me.

I think they (Barrow) are the team you have most chance of catching. They only have three home games to play and their run in looks a lot tougher than that of Stevenage.  Unfortunately, so does yours.

51 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I see Barrow have appointed Phil Brown today, with Neil McDonald as his No.2. McDonald took us down to L2 during the boycott ; he obviously had an impossible job to do, but he didn't in the end do it all that well.  As for Brown..... words fail me.

I think they (Barrow) are the team you have most chance of catching. They only have three home games to play and their run in looks a lot tougher than that of Stevenage.  Unfortunately, so does yours.

Mcdonald played for us to no great effect 

3 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

i know its a bit doom and gloom but does anyone know if the national league has a fit and proper persons test or are we should the worst happen wide open to any old shyster buying us should the worst happen ?

There's lots of interested suitors looking to buy the club, a deal will be completed when the time is right for all parties.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

There's lots of interested suitors looking to buy the club, a deal will be completed when the time is right for all parties.

i understand that BUT my worry is if we should fall into the national league what is to stop the lemmys selling to any old shyster who wouldnt be allowed anywhere near a league club not that the EFL test is particulaly stringent as we have found .it will be the lemmys choice who they sell to barring any "fit & proper " testing and money talks 

46 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

i know its a bit doom and gloom but does anyone know if the national league has a fit and proper persons test or are we should the worst happen wide open to any old shyster buying us should the worst happen ?

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/financial-regulation

Goes lower which may matter... 

44 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

i understand that BUT my worry is if we should fall into the national league what is to stop the lemmys selling to any old shyster who wouldnt be allowed anywhere near a league club not that the EFL test is particulaly stringent as we have found .it will be the lemmys choice who they sell to barring any "fit & proper " testing and money talks 

The fan groups are working tirelessly to ensure that doesn't happen and we thank them immensely for their efforts thus far.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Right Eyresy you have proved a point, it must be tearing you up now. 

Rob believes takeovers complete in a matter of weeks. Quite tiresome with his attempts at ‘gotcha’ on a regular basis. Maybe he should offer time to the Foundation as they have asked for more support in running it, as he seems to have plenty of opinions on the matter he should put himself forward. 

On the matter of the sale, the big issue now is the court case (if it happens) with the ground. If this goes ahead no buyer is going to commit to a sale until they know what is theirs. That’s where I think Abdallah will be and why the process has slowed. 

15 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

On the matter of the sale, the big issue now is the court case (if it happens) with the ground. If this goes ahead no buyer is going to commit to a sale until they know what is theirs. That’s where I think Abdallah will be and why the process has slowed. 

This. 👍

36 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

I said this on another thread 3 months ago... "Any possible bid by a oasf/fan/local business consortium for the ground being thwarted by a dubious legal case to try and give it Abdallah for free dragging on and on would be peak Barry Owen."

He really is an odious vulture who has played and still is playing a key role in our demise as a football club. 

I don't know what the chances are of this case being thrown out quickly, probably slim, but it really needs to disappear if we're going to have a decent chance of moving forward. The prospect of Abdallah being gifted the ownership of the ground for free when he openly thinks he's personally due millions of pounds by the club scares the living shit out of me.

49 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Rob believes takeovers complete in a matter of weeks. Quite tiresome with his attempts at ‘gotcha’ on a regular basis. Maybe he should offer time to the Foundation as they have asked for more support in running it, as he seems to have plenty of opinions on the matter he should put himself forward. 

Offering thanks for all the efforts thus far is a slightly strange interpretation of a 'gotcha' Adam but you are entitled to your opinion and hopefully you and the other various members of the fan groups will continue to press home the significant gains you have made so far.

31 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I said this on another thread 3 months ago... "Any possible bid by a oasf/fan/local business consortium for the ground being thwarted by a dubious legal case to try and give it Abdallah for free dragging on and on would be peak Barry Owen."

He really is an odious vulture who has played and still is playing a key role in our demise as a football club. 

I don't know what the chances are of this case being thrown out quickly, probably slim, but it really needs to disappear if we're going to have a decent chance of moving forward. The prospect of Abdallah being gifted the ownership of the ground for free when he openly thinks he's personally due millions of pounds by the club scares the living shit out of me.

Having spoken to a few lawyers in this field for guidance where we can, it seems highly unlikely the ground / Stand would be handed back for free. At best a compensation for the Council grant would be provided, which wouldn’t even cover a quarter of the building costs. The club haven’t owned the ground since 1999 so they can’t claim to own it purely due to grant being provided. Unless their is additional information we aren’t privy to. 

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

Having spoken to a few lawyers in this field for guidance where we can, it seems highly unlikely the ground / Stand would be handed back for free. At best a compensation for the Council grant would be provided, which wouldn’t even cover a quarter of the building costs. The club haven’t owned the ground since 1999 so they can’t claim to own it purely due to grant being provided. Unless their is additional information we aren’t privy to. 

Thanks Adam. My worry is that even if that is the case as per the guidance you've received, this could drag on for months/years before a conclusion.

6 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

It's a good question, I went and had a quick look.

As I understand it, the VNL relies for its standards on those set out in the FA's Rules and Regs. When (if) you are relegated into the VNL, you are required to make a statement to them and the FA that you are compliant with those Rules and Regs. If it is subsequently found that your statement is misleading or that you are non-compliant it can lead to sanctions, ranging from a fine to being suspended from the competition.

On a very quick skim, I couldn't see an O&DT other than some general provisions about behaving in a manner consistent with the standards expected of Members of the Competition (which could mean a lot of things).  But they seem more concerned with financial management and conduct rather than anything more general.

The VNL also has a general policy about good governance which goes into a fair amount of detail about the importance of good club governance and what might constitute it. But there are also a number of caveats about doing things that are appropriate to the club's size (Oldham would be a "big" club, I expect). Given that none of it seems to be in the Rules & Regs., I am assuming most of the content is advisory. 

If Crouch has her way, then we will have new standards of corporate governance (in line with the updated UK Sports Governance Code), and two separate Tests for Owners and Directors, with the latter being widely defined to include anyone who has a significant or controlling influence on the Club Board (whether they have a formal title or not). And this will apply to the EPL, EFL and the top tier of the VNL. I'l like it to apply to all three Divisions of the VNL, personally, but the argument against is that some (most) of the clubs in the National League South in particular are part-time and too small to be subject to the regime that applies further up. Many of the clubs in the National League North are full-time these days, which makes them somewhat anomalous.

2 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Many of the clubs in the National League North are full-time these days, which makes them somewhat anomalous.

That really has me scratching my head.  How on earth is that affordable at wages that would keep someone happy?

Archived