BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 13th Dec '21 Episode 62: A Crisis Cracker!

1) Arrange boycott

2) Select match

3) Encourage fans to stay away

4) Game ends 5-5

5) That's OAFC in a nutshell

You can now support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 here. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone, but we'll throw the odd bonus episode your way by way of thanks should you choose to.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg. Read more about FanHub here

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oldhamathleticsupportersfoundation.com

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing that somebody still thinks that going down and regrouping in the National League might be a good thing.

And also that anyone thinks admin may be come kind of panacea.  Without a buyer in the wings with cash immediately available we'd barely see a week through.

Great song, it’s not that difficult to get a song in the charts these days. Get the song on iTunes or what ever.  Fans buy it push local radio stations to play it. Chris moyles is a football fan and loves getting a song in the charts. Massive publicity and fingers up mo and al. Plus any profits go to the trust fund

I was a bit traumatised by the song. 😃

I had a strong sense of deja vu about all that. I think it is fair to say that people get radicalised at different rates, and in our case the club did a lot of diversionary stuff that slowed the process down a bit. And some people never get radicalised at all. They will just go to games regardless until a point is reached when there is no game available to watch. Then they will blame everyone and anyone but themselves. It is human nature. 

In the modern era, I don't think anyone should have the luxury of just distancing themselves from the politics around their club. As long as the current, feeble regulatory regimes are in place, and clubs are regularly being acquired by people who don't have the wherewithal or willingness to run them properly, someone has to hold the system accountable. And, increasingly, that someone is the supporters themselves. So I think protest will always have a role, and there is no doubt in my mind that far more people know about your predicament than was the case even 12 months ago. I hope you can find ways to put more pressure on the EFL, because they are in an existential fight of their own at the moment and can't afford not to respond. I hope you can continue to hit the owners in the pocket ; we went further than the club and boycotted their other business interests, identified and shunned their sponsors and corporate supporters and generally made a pariah out of them and their circle of cronies. It can be done.

I am sure that your owners are trying not to listen or engage. That is not the same as ignoring you though, and they will be paying attention to you and the extent to which you can get them reacting to your agenda will be part of the challenge. I was interested in what was said about the changing nature of the Foundation ; it is part of the world we now live in that fans can't merely be highly motivated and organised. You need some core skills, some acumen and (hopefully) some transferable experience from the part of your lives that aren't about football (Matt said all this, and he is absolutely right). One of the challenges we are going to be discussing at our Trust Board meeting tonight is how we start to prepare for a world in which clubs have Shadow Boards, and the prospect of a shadow regulator breaking ground for the real thing that (hopefully) may be in place in 2023. It is going to put the democratically elected fan groups in a position where they hold the ring on a lot of activity - and they need to be up to the task.

At the end of the day, Empty the Park was a relative success as was Pack the Park. Empty the Park seemed to get coverage in the media, which shows the message is getting across even if the stands weren’t as empty as hoped.

People who are still attending every games aren’t going to change their mindset I wouldn’t have thought, so energy is probably better spent elsewhere rather than trying to change their perspective.

The fan there is right - the owners don’t care whether we turn up or not (a concern I’ve always had). Saturday was a good visual, but I think the next move has to force a reaction out of the owners.

In fairness, it’s a tough gig working out what that move should be…

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

At the end of the day, Empty the Park was a relative success as was Pack the Park. Empty the Park seemed to get coverage in the media, which shows the message is getting across even if the stands weren’t as empty as hoped.

People who are still attending every games aren’t going to change their mindset I wouldn’t have thought, so energy is probably better spent elsewhere rather than trying to change their perspective.

The fan there is right - the owners don’t care whether we turn up or not (a concern I’ve always had). Saturday was a good visual, but I think the next move has to force a reaction out of the owners.

In fairness, it’s a tough gig working out what that move should be…

It's beginning to look as if Mo cares a bit given he now hides behind curtains

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Amazing that somebody still thinks that going down and regrouping in the National League might be a good thing.

And also that anyone thinks admin may be come kind of panacea.  Without a buyer in the wings with cash immediately available we'd barely see a week through.

Amazing that some still cling to the notion that A, we’ll be a football league club for much longer and B, that in our situation what league you’re in is more important than the actual soul/community of the club.

And also that anyone thinks a buyer will be found in any other circumstances other than Admin. 

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I am glad that somebody has pointed this obvious fact out- as this does not to be given much thought by too many 

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Amazing that some still cling to the notion that A, we’ll be a football league club for much longer and B, that in our situation what league you’re in is more important than the actual soul/community of the club.

And also that anyone thinks a buyer will be found in any other circumstances other than Admin. 

If we go into admin the first thing an administrator has to confirm is whether the business concerned has a potential future.   This business has almost no saleable tangible assets and minimal income.  If money isn't found very, very quickly from somewhere within a few days of entering administration they would be legally obliged to close the doors.  Admin may be fine but ONLY if someone is prepared to sub the club while a buyer is sought and a takeover is completed.  I can't imagine that (unless Blitz feels it is in his best interests) that such funding could conceivable come from anywhere other than someone who is already lined up to buy the club.  Nobody fits that bill at present as far as I'm aware.

We are second bottom - clearly relegation is not yet nailed on.  I can't see it as anything other than a positive to maintain league status but that doesn't mean I'm optimistic about anything to do with OAFC.

You know more than me on financial intricacies Dave, and I accept that any buyer will need to put money up and in very quickly. But that is where we are- it’s very desperate with no ideals- who wants or advocates relegation?? No one- but things are that bad it may be our only way out of hell. 

If Selim performs a minor miracle and keeps us up- (which I don’t think he will) ALMO aren’t going anywhere. 1, because the asking price won’t change. 2, AL will still have the golden share and the club can stay on life support. 

What I can not get my head around is that when people say- we mustn’t go down, (understandable)   they don’t realise that in effect they’re also saying let’s keep ALMO. 

League club- they’ll stay. 

Go down - there’s a better chance they’ll sell. 

What do you want Dave? 

League football and the current owners.

or

Relegation and them potentially gone? 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What I can not get my head around is that when people say- we mustn’t go down, (understandable)   they don’t realise that in effect they’re also saying let’s keep ALMO. Many do realise but they want league football

League club- they’ll stay.  You don't know

Go down - there’s a better chance they’ll sell. You don't know

What do you want Dave? 

or

Relegation and them potentially gone? It is a gamble then?

I would rather have a league club under any circumstances-it's a long way back from non league as so many other clubs have proved.

No matter how many times it is explained to you the consequences of admin you refuse to acknowledge it or provide an alternative.

35 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You know more than me on financial intricacies Dave, and I accept that any buyer will need to put money up and in very quickly. But that is where we are- it’s very desperate with no ideals- who wants or advocates relegation?? No one- but things are that bad it may be our only way out of hell. 

If Selim performs a minor miracle and keeps us up- (which I don’t think he will) ALMO aren’t going anywhere. 1, because the asking price won’t change. 2, AL will still have the golden share and the club can stay on life support. 

What I can not get my head around is that when people say- we mustn’t go down, (understandable)   they don’t realise that in effect they’re also saying let’s keep ALMO. 

League club- they’ll stay. 

Go down - there’s a better chance they’ll sell. 

What do you want Dave? 

or

Relegation and them potentially gone? 

I just don't see it as a binary choice. I can't really see why they'd be more likely to sell for less. But like everyone else I've no idea what motivates them. 

7 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

consequences of admin you refuse to acknowledge it or provide an alternative.

. . . and the consequences are what?

What will happen if we go down?? 

Maybe AL will have to find the money he loses from the golden share? Maybe he’ll lower his asking price, because he doesn’t want to put anymore money in? 

You, like I have no actual idea what will happen. 

But unlike you I’m trying to think of ways he may exit because him leaving is far important to me that watching basement league two football. Which leads to- 

Provide an alternative? To what- relegation? 

The alternative is to do you’re doing with this-

16 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I would rather have a league club under any circumstances-

Fair enough- but IF the ever dwindling crowds are anything to by- you’re in the minority. 

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I just don't see it as a binary choice. I can't really see why they'd be more likely to sell for less. But like everyone else I've no idea what motivates them. 

Because of the golden share. 

If we do down- who is replacing 250/300k? 

If the club can’t pay its bills or players- because he won’t make up the shortfall- he has a choice- admin or sell. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If the club can’t pay its bills or players- because he won’t make up the shortfall- he has a choice- admin or sell. 

Surely the same choice is looming now. It's pretty clear he's not prepared to fund it adequately now.  

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We can't pay our bill now the club as it always has is haemoraging money.

• Matt featured this topic
48 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fair enough- but IF the ever dwindling crowds are anything to by- you’re in the minority. 

Well that certainly doesn't prove your point. You seem to fall into the same trap-that just because the majority sentiment on this board is hostile that you speak for the majority of supporters.

Many just want to watch the team play. If you are willing to discard the 120yrs plus history of this club just to get your change of ownership then I feel sorry for you.

If and I stress IF the results start to improve then gates and sentiment will improve regardless of ownership and nothing lasts forever so at some time there will be change-for good or bad nobody knows.

51 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Surely the same choice is looming now. It's pretty clear he's not prepared to fund it adequately now.  

Agreed, but that’s with help of EFL loans (which he can’t or won’t pay back) and our league share. When that support goes- is he digger deeper? I don’t think he is. 

2 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Well that certainly doesn't prove your point. You seem to fall into the same trap-that just because the majority sentiment on this board is hostile that you speak for the majority of supporters.

Many just want to watch the team play. If you are willing to discard the 120yrs plus history of this club just to get your change of ownership then I feel sorry for you.

If and I stress IF the results start to improve then gates and sentiment will improve regardless of ownership and nothing lasts forever so at some time there will be change-for good or bad nobody knows.

Thanks for your pity. . . 😂

I speak for myself, not the board or the majority. You’re just making things up there, which is a shame. I, on the other hand am stating a fact that those ‘who just want to watch the game’ are ever dwindling. Or maybe you are one of those who believes our attendance figures. . .😂

I agree with your last paragraph. Results do dictate, unfortunately you seem unable to accept what is staring in you face. That said results are absolutely woeful. If you want to bury your head in the sand, and keep attending when each season is worst than last, fans are leaving in droves and the quality of player is already reduced to semi pro- then good luck to you. Each to their own I guess. 

Archived