BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 13th Dec '21 Episode 62: A Crisis Cracker!

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Why does it not make sense? 

I presume you think it isn’t binary because there is lots of options? 

Which are what? 

Do you think someone will pay 6 million for a badge, and then keep us up? 

Do you think AL will start reinvesting and pay the shortfall of the loss of golden share in the national league? 

It’s bizarre to me, that people won’t accept what is staring them in the face. 

There are loads of possibilities. Very few of them are good. But I still see no logic in assuming that relegation makes it a strong possibility that he will sell.  The budget could be cut much further, by going part time for example. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The protests this season have been varied and highly visible. Each different initiative has served one of it’s primary aims in garnering good publicity for our plight across a number of media platforms.

The protest has, so far, been less effective in it’s main aim which is to force The Lemsagam brothers to put the club up for sale. Sadly, despite all the effort, Abdallah seems unmoved and we have had very little response from the owners of the club.

Our financial position and Embargo restrictions mean that the team squad is lacking in several key areas. Our league position reflects the state of the club and the continuing mismanagement of our affairs does not bode well for our survival as a league club.

The Twitter trolls were out in force after the Forest Green result - mocking the fans who turned up and stayed to applaud the team at the end of the match - describing us as ‘happy clappers celebrating a team that had conceded five goals at home’ and so forth.

Either these ‘keyboard warriors’ deliberately chose to be obtuse or they are thick. The applause was for a team who had fought back from 4-1 down to share the points - no more than that.

The big question now is where do we go from here? Is it time for a new approach? And what is that approach?
Or is it time to just get behind the team while continuing to vocalise our dissatisfaction with the regime?

I want the clowns out more than anything. But I am slowly coming to terms with the fact they are not going anywhere. I am starting to think we need to be going to support the team, and be visual in our dissatisfaction to the owners. We need to say up or we are fucked. PTB / Foundation need to think the next steps through, and it needs to be a calculated decision. 

There is no owner in the wings waiting to buy us, the foundation and gathering interest from some parties allegedly, so I think we need to revert to delaying tactics before the ship fully sinks and give the foundation some time. 

On 12/13/2021 at 11:50 PM, underdog said:

Last week OASF chatted to the FSA primarily about the ACV.

I asked how quickly/best guess EFL reform would start to happen. Stuff like golden share and shadow boards...its going to be a good 18mnths off and some supporter organisations are starting to get ready for it.

However, I am not convinced we will see it as an EFL club.

I also asked about us still being a club in crisis and we are 

On the timing, I'm slightly more hopeful, but not much.

Crouch is pushing hard for a spot in the next Queen's Speech, which will be in May. Assuming she gets her way, and DCMS are ready with a draft Bill beforehand, it is possible that it could be introduced more or less straight away and be in Committee by the beginning of June. But given that there will be a lengthy summer break it is hard to see the Bill getting through both Houses much before the end of the year. The difficult bits will be those where the proposals butt up against competition law.

If the Bill does get Royal Assent around January, there will be some aspects of it - like the powers to hire staff and do research - that could be commenced right away. My (not so) educated guess is that they will want to get everything else live either by the beginning of the 23/24 season OR when players contracts end at the end of June 23.

The optimism comes from the fact that Crouch also wants Shadow Boards and a Shadow Regulator in asap. And the latter can do a lot of research, develop policies and methodologies etc that can help the main body hit the ground running with some evidence gathered on its behalf. Positioning yourself for all that will be a major challenge to the Foundation, I think, because they will be the democratically elected fans body that is expected to the the catalyst for the fans' end of the work.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

There are loads of possibilities. Very few of them are good. But I still see no logic in assuming that relegation makes it a strong possibility that he will sell.  The budget could be cut much further, by going part time for example. 

Yeah, he could just cut the budget even further. But even in the national league that would mean another relegation. I just don’t see him funding continual decline. As for options of him selling while we’re are a league club- well that’s just for the birds. 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, he could just cut the budget even further. But even in the national league that would mean another relegation. I just don’t see him funding continual decline. As for options of him selling while we’re are a league club- well that’s just for the birds. 

He won't sell until the case against Brrassbank and Corney is done and dusted which could take years. In the meantime we need to get behind the team and help them retain our league status

21 minutes ago, PeteG said:

He won't sell until the case against Brrassbank and Corney is done and dusted which could take years. In the meantime we need to get behind the team and help them retain our league status

It could take five minutes to be dismissed as well....

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

Yeah, that’s a fair point.  If it came about (which I don’t think it will) that the stand belongs to the club then in AL’s mind he’s got a more saleable assets. If, like Dave says it gets dismissed- things could escalate quite quickly from there. 

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The protests this season have been varied and highly visible. Each different initiative has served one of it’s primary aims in garnering good publicity for our plight across a number of media platforms.

The protest has, so far, been less effective in it’s main aim which is to force The Lemsagam brothers to put the club up for sale. Sadly, despite all the effort, Abdallah seems unmoved and we have had very little response from the owners of the club.

Our financial position and Embargo restrictions mean that the team squad is lacking in several key areas. Our league position reflects the state of the club and the continuing mismanagement of our affairs does not bode well for our survival as a league club.

The Twitter trolls were out in force after the Forest Green result - mocking the fans who turned up and stayed to applaud the team at the end of the match - describing us as ‘happy clappers celebrating a team that had conceded five goals at home’ and so forth.

Either these ‘keyboard warriors’ deliberately chose to be obtuse or they are thick. The applause was for a team who had fought back from 4-1 down to share the points - no more than that.

The big question now is where do we go from here? Is it time for a new approach? And what is that approach?
Or is it time to just get behind the team while continuing to vocalise our dissatisfaction with the regime?

Good post. 

I don’t think we’ll ever unite the fanbase completely- to many different approaches on the ‘best’ way forward. To me whether you still go or clap or moan is largely moot now. All I’m interested in, is thinking about what will materially affect his exist. And the only thing that will is money. 

12 hours ago, Mayfield said:

If there is a section supporters, fans or those who just have an affinity with Latics vocally supporting Abdallah, I haven't noticed.

We do see the stark reality of the situation.

I find the BPAS podcasts comforting, listening to kindred spirits, in our shared experience of suffering.

Matt speaks eloquently, after the Salford game he captured the emotion perfectly, we feel desperate.

While we all agree that change is vital, there isn't a consensus on how to unite behind a common agenda.

Some say relegation might be a catalyst, to unseat the owner and set in motion a chain of events which can lead to salvation.

I see relegation as oblivion, stepping off the edge into limitless chaos.

Hence the imperative for Abdallah to act in January, protecting our league status is surely the one thing we the supporters have in common with an owner determined to recoup his investment.

Good post. 

Your last paragraph is the whole discussion for me. Because he won’t ‘act’ in Jan, he won’t pay the loan off. He won’t pay for a decent striker or two. And he definitely won’t get 6 million for a badge. 

No one wants relegation. We all agree it would be a disaster, and take years to rebuild. 

BUT- how else will he leave? 

People are very good at saying what they want in an ideal world. That’s easy. But no one as yet has offered any reasonable prospect of how he may leave. The best I heard is vague claims like- nothing last forever or things will change eventually. Which I think is nonsense when consider he won’t lower his asking price. 

Put it another way- in the unlikely event Selim keeps us up this year, does anyone think there is someone in the summer waiting to give 6 million for a badge- just because we’ve stayed up??? 

Say we do stay up- what have we got really? Another season in the bottom 5 of league of league two with Mo smiling at us. It’s so grim. 

4 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I want the clowns out more than anything. But I am slowly coming to terms with the fact they are not going anywhere. I am starting to think we need to be going to support the team, and be visual in our dissatisfaction to the owners.

I've always thought this. Visual dissatisfaction seems to get more of a reaction from the owners. 

The owners don't care about the fans' money. They don't care about the fans opinion. The fact Selim had said Mo is in charge of recruitment in January shows they are unwilling to compromise on the way they do things. Whether we turn up to games or not is irrelevant to them.  

The other problem with a boycott is - it's going to be fucking hard to get fans back once all this is over. Many will just find better things to do with their spare Saturdays. While Pack the Park was a relative success, the numbers didn't suggest there's many who'd be beating a path back down to BP once these idiots leave...

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But no one as yet has offered any reasonable prospect of how he may leave. 

And that's about the size of it.    We have no idea what motivates him.  I'm not in any doubt as to why he bought the club in the first place; he thought he could make money through importing and selling on.

In the meantime I don't want us to give up on the only meaningful football based asset we have, which is our EFL membership.

30 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

And that's about the size of it.    We have no idea what motivates him.  I'm not in any doubt as to why he bought the club in the first place; he thought he could make money through importing and selling on.

In the meantime I don't want us to give up on the only meaningful football based asset we have, which is our EFL membership.

Well irrespective of his exit Dave. I think the owners have already given up on our only meaningful asset.   Sadly- relegation Is nailed on IMO. 

14 hours ago, Mayfield said:

If there is a section supporters, fans or those who just have an affinity with Latics vocally supporting Abdallah, I haven't noticed.

We do see the stark reality of the situation.

I find the BPAS podcasts comforting, listening to kindred spirits, in our shared experience of suffering.

Matt speaks eloquently, after the Salford game he captured the emotion perfectly, we feel desperate.

While we all agree that change is vital, there isn't a consensus on how to unite behind a common agenda.

Some say relegation might be a catalyst, to unseat the owner and set in motion a chain of events which can lead to salvation.

I see relegation as oblivion, stepping off the edge into limitless chaos.

Hence the imperative for Abdallah to act in January, protecting our league status is surely the one thing we the supporters have in common with an owner determined to recoup his investment.

Relegation could be a catalyst, I agree. But it is as likely to be a catalyst to something worse, as better. See Southend, for details. I think they will stay up, just about, this season. But that is mainly because one club has crashed and burned its way out of that League and another is dying a slow death partly because of the actions of the National League. In a year where there were four relegation spots up for grabs instead of (effectively) two they could be on their way down for a third season in a row. 

If I had to characterise the problem at Southend, I'd describe it as being driven by :

* an owner with very finite resources

* an owner with uncertain priorities

* a current absence of a clear alternative

* very poor decision making at all levels

* an absence of any timely regulatory inervention

Which all sounds a bit familiar. 

To the poster who thought that the team might have won against FGR with a bigger crowd :

* you can't possibly prove that ; and

* I'd argue that you are spectacularly missing the point - the predicament you are in is in no way the fault of the supporters

56 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Well irrespective of his exit Dave. I think the owners have already given up on our only meaningful asset.   Sadly- relegation Is nailed on IMO. 

It's unarguably a strong possibility but it is not nailed on.  4/6 readily available

One concern I have is AL's form when it comes to being vindictive, even if it's at a detriment to the well being of the club and personally costs him money.  I wouldn't put it past him not giving a shiny shit if we got relegated, maybe even thinking that's the point where he'll fire sale any playing assets and just walk away. Just to stick 2 fingers up to the fans who've turned against him.

Archived