The First Team Squad, The Embargo And The Uncertainties

33 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Any guesses when the solidarity payments will be repaid in the current situation Dave?

They can't go on forever surely?

I “think” that we only get solidarity payments twice a year - once at the end or start of the season and once in January 

I could be wrong though 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I “think” that we only get solidarity payments twice a year - once at the end or start of the season and once in January 

I could be wrong though 

I think that's right but not sure if the whole loan would be paid off this season. If it isn't and we go down..... 

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

I think that's right but not sure if the whole loan would be paid off this season. If it isn't and we go down..... 

I think if we go down there is no chance of the solidarity payments being made as there will be no significant transfer fees or parachute payment

7 minutes ago, Mercater said:

I think if we go down there is no chance of the solidarity payments being made as there will be no significant transfer fees or parachute payment

Solidarity payments are essentially from the PL to the EFL so no chance of them being paid 

So about as much chance of them being paid as now under embargo. So id AL takes us down he has no liability' You Obviously know more than me so is that a correct assumption

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Solidarity payments are essentially from the PL to the EFL so no chance of them being paid 

25 minutes ago, Mercater said:

So about as much chance of them being paid as now under embargo. So id AL takes us down he has no liability' You Obviously know more than me so is that a correct assumption

I'd imagine that would be part of any takeover negotiations, assuming any potential buyer does appropriate due diligence. But stress I don't know whether this season's payments will clear the loan 

Hence my questions to the EFL about liabilities and guarantors

"Of course, the principles of applying an embargo is to prevent a Club from strengthening its team or adding to its playing staff costs until such time as it has met its existing financial obligations and/or the Club has rectified the relevant breach of EFL regulation(s)".

12 minutes ago, Mercater said:

Hence my questions to the EFL about liabilities and guarantors

"Of course, the principles of applying an embargo is to prevent a Club from strengthening its team or adding to its playing staff costs until such time as it has met its existing financial obligations and/or the Club has rectified the relevant breach of EFL regulation(s)".

There's no chance of them divulging that sort of info but good on you for trying 

26 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

There's no chance of them divulging that sort of info but good on you for trying 

It's a bit of a shitter when you have to e mail the EFL to try and find out what's going on at your own football club. But as you say, fair play to Merekater for trying. 

On 2/11/2022 at 3:36 PM, Mercater said:

I contacted the EFL with regard to the embargo as below. I may not have asked the correct questions or been eloquent enough, but they have responded:

Query : OAFC are currently under embargo, for I think around £250K. A sum that does not appear the owner is willing or able to pay. Can you please tell me if the EFL makes regular enquiries as to 1. The clubs or owners ability to pay the loan 2. The reasons why rhe club or owner are not able to pay 3. Is there a period within which the sum must be repaid 4. Can the club or owner be forced to repay the sum and what form this would take. 5. Were any guarantees or guarantors given or named when taking the loan 6. What reason has been given by the club or owner for not repaying the sum 7. What are the actual sums , at this point, the club or owner are liable for and whether these will increase over time. I realise some of this information may be commercially sensitive, or available from other sources, but I am personally not that proficient in this sort of information gathering. Any information you provide would be most appreciated. Regards

The response:

Thank you for your email, we acknowledge your views on Oldham Athletic, and appreciate you getting in touch.

All Clubs who undertook a monitored loan agreement are subject to monitoring and ongoing review. Clubs were eligible to apply for a monitored loan based on ‘need’, with a joint EFL and Premier League panel determining eligibility. Ultimately, the Club’s embargo is there because of the terms agreed between Clubs, the EFL and the Premier League, whereby Clubs in receipt of a ‘monitored loan’ are subject to certain restrictions, in respect to transfer spend and player wages.

Of course, the principles of applying an embargo is to prevent a Club from strengthening its team or adding to its playing staff costs until such time as it has met its existing financial obligations and/or the Club has rectified the relevant breach of EFL regulation(s).

We continue to engage the Club on all such matters as appropriate, however we are not able to provide any further details in order to protect the Club’s interests. We would advise, should you wish, that you make further enquiries directly with them in this regard.

Thank you for contacting the EFL

I post this in case anyone is interested

Bored and so wondered if I could make FOI to the EFL for information on the setup at Oldham, unfortunately not as they are well protected or do not supply any information. They are classed as a Private Limited Company

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/the_football_association

• 1 month later...

Leutwiler

Clarke McGahey Pidge

Fage Diarra Whelan Couto

DKD

Hope Bahamboula 

This was the team that won away at Rochdale earlier in the season. With the exception of McGahey, we could field that same team in our next game. We’d even have Adams (who wasn’t available v Rochdale) to include rather than Fage. The point is, yes we have injuries and suspensions but the team isn’t far off what we’ve had to contend with most of the season. With some

fight and belief, they could still scrap some positive results. Reverting back to a central 2 of Diarra with Whelan/Hunt might be change that needs making, as much as it pains me to say it.

48 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

One for @Dave_Og; am I right to assume the youth team players don't count as registered players, hence us being able to play Will Sutton?

Didn't Curle bemoan the embargo earlier in the season for not being able to play Couto and Vaughan (despite having already started Vaughan at Sutton)...?

My understanding is  that if a player appeared in a senior match (ex-Pizza Cup) before the start of this season then they count as a senior player.  Sutton did so and therefore would count.  However, there are provisions for dispensations for youth players within the rules and my guess, surely a guess, is that dispensation was sought in respect of Sutton, possibly on the grounds of his vey limited senior experience coupled with the fact we could barely raise a defence.  I suppose an alternative conclusion might be that we cocked it up and are due a disciplinary for fielding an ineligible player - but surely we are too sharp for that to be a risk...

1 hour ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Wonder what’s going on with Kyle Jameson. Need a bit of muscle in the team, is it worth considering him and Diarra to get involved more?

No 

Kyle Jameson (who fylde fans laughed their balls off we had signed him) is about as much a footballer as my dead nan and should have been the first to release to sign someone with even a modicum of talent 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the great post from OAFCmetty in squad summer 21 quted below

I thinks its McGahey, , Couto, Vaughan and Da Silva

If the embargo is still in place I'd expect a weaker squad next year.

Who would you want? on current form Pidge, Sutton, Junior,Adams, Missilou, DKD?

1. Jayson Leutwiler (2023?)

23. Danny Rogers (2022)

2. Jordan Clarke (2022)
3. Sam Hart (2022 with option)
5. Harrison McGahey (2023?)

6. Carl Piergianni (2022)
14. Dylan Fage (2022)
15. Kyle Jameson (2022)

17. Jack Stobbs (2022)
22. Raphaël Diarra (2022)
32. Will Sutton (2022) 

33. Benny Couto (2024)

4. Ousseynou Cisse (2022 with option)

7. Nicky Adams (2022)

8. Callum Whelan (2022)
10. Davis Keillor-Dunn (2022)
24. Dylan Bahamboula (2022)

26. Alex Hunt (on half-season loan from Sheff Weds)

27. Jamie Hopcutt (2022 with option)

28. Chris Missilou (2022)

34. Harry Vaughan (2023, with option for 1 more year)

47. Kane Badby (2022) - on loan with Trafford

9. Hallum Hope (2022 with option)

11. Mike Fondop (2022)

19. Vani Da Silva (2023)
29. Junior Luamba (2022)

30. Tope Obadeyi (2022)

2nd Year Scholars
13. Kacper Danielewicz
36. Joe Edwards - on loan with Winsford

37. Trey Turner
39. Isaac Modi - work experience with Trafford

Jack Williams - on loan with Winsford